Viruses Transmitted To People Through Meat

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Mar 21, 2004.

  1. markd

    markd Guest

    Yeah, I read that this morning, it is interesting, but it
    has been known for a long time this happens. Not to mention
    of course that similar pathogens can come from veggies too,
    recall the recent case of green onions even causing death
    and hundreds getting ill. The most interesting case of
    passing viruses is when people eat dead relatives brains for
    religious purposes. One case was found to be this where
    before the disease was thought to be genetic and passed
    through genes to children. But, it was being passed to
    children by them eating their parents brain.

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3520968.stm
    >
    >Who loves ya. Tom
    >
    >Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    >Man Is A Herbivore!
    >http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    >PEOPLE WALKING
    >http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

  2. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Yeah, I read that this morning, it is interesting, but it
    > has been known for a long time this happens. Not to
    > mention of course that similar pathogens can come from
    > veggies too, recall the recent case of green onions even
    > causing death and hundreds getting ill. The most
    > interesting case of passing viruses is when people eat
    > dead relatives brains for religious purposes. One case
    > was found to be this where before the disease was thought
    > to be genetic and passed through genes to children. But,
    > it was being passed to children by them eating their
    > parents brain.

    It amazes me that anyone should post this and think it
    was news !

    > >Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

    Theologians would disagree

    > >Man Is A Herbivore!
    > >http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

    No I'm not

    > >DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

    No they don't

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Viruses Transmitted To People Through Meat
    >From: [email protected] (doe)
    >Date: 3/21/2004 12:59 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3520968.stm

    Microb Pathog. 2004 May;36(5):263-71. Related
    Articles, Links

    Heme-iron increases levels of AP65-mediated adherence by
    Trichomonas vaginalis.

    Alderete JF, Nguyen J, Mundodi V, Lehker MW.

    Department of Microbiology, University of Texas Health
    Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr., MC 7758,
    San Antonio TX 78284-7758, USA.

    Trichomonas vaginalis is a protozoan responsible for the
    number one, non-viral

    mediate adherence to vaginal epithelial cells (VECs). Iron
    increases growth of trichomonads and synthesis and surface
    placement of adhesins. We observed by immunofluorescence
    using monoclonal antibody (mAb) 12G4 the placement of AP65
    on surfaces of trichomonads supplemented with hemoglobin or
    hemin as a source of iron. We, therefore, tested the
    hypothesis that heme-bound iron is an alternative source of
    iron important to trichomonal growth and regulation of
    expression of the adhesin genes. Here we show that the
    inhibition of parasite growth by the iron chelator 2,2-
    dipyridal is rescued by hemoglobin or hemin, but not
    protoporphyrin IX. Importantly, trichomonads grown in iron-
    limiting medium supplemented with free iron, hemoglobin and
    hemin had elevated levels of ap65 transcript that were 12.6-
    , 12.3- and 9.2-fold higher, respectively, than low-iron
    organisms, as determined by RT-PCR. Similarly, the amounts
    of AP65 were 8.9-, 11.2-, and 4.8-fold higher in parasites
    grown in free iron, hemoglobin and hemin, respectively, than
    organisms in low-iron medium. The heme-iron-regulated AP65
    increased adherence of parasites to immortalized VECs. Not
    surprisingly, parasites pretreated with anti-AP65 serum IgG
    had decreased adherence compared to organisms incubated with
    prebleed serum IgG. These data illustrate that heme-bound
    iron is a source of iron similar to lactoferrin. This work
    extends our findings about the multiple sources of iron for
    regulating virulence genes of T. vaginalis.

    PMID: 15043861 [PubMed - in process]

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    It said iron discourages virus growth, not to mention that a
    virus from green onions caused the death of several people
    and the illness of hundreds, be carefull out there people.