Visibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lovey, Mar 15, 2007.

1. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

My friend, you need to move to France/Spain/Italy/Benelux/Germany, or even the UK (in comparison with Aus/US). They have a great affection for cyclists in much of Western Europe. If I spoke the local idiom and could be professionally recognised in one of those countries, I'd be straight there.

2. RedHotIron

RedHotIron New Member

3. RedHotIron

RedHotIron New Member

4. j.r.hawkins

j.r.hawkins New Member

6 months and 3600km later, I find I get hassled a lot less than i used to, riding home after dark.

This is what's changed:

My jersey is a lighter colour and has reflective piping
    My hydration pack has reflective piping
    My gloves have reflective piping
    My flashy lights are brighter
    My tolerance for cars and buses passing a little closer is a little better than it was
    My SPD shoes have a reflective panel on the heel
    My anticipation is probably better
    I signal more assertively, leaving no doubt that I will occupy that spot on the road in the next few seconds.
    I occupy the spot where drivers expect to see cars, just to the left of lane centre (we drive on the left in Oz)
    I make sure I'm seen
    I ride faster.
    I still get nervous riding in the dark in the rain

Don Shipp, I love that link to the Theory of Big. Works brilliantly for me.

5. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

===========================================================
    Good on you.
    I'm glad to read there are North Americans who hate those large vehicles too. Here in New Zealand there are some that have been imported(ex USA) and to my mind they're totally stupid:mad:
    Most are used(along with Hummers) as mobile billboards for businesses or radio stations.
    They're wider than the usual stock of Japanese cars on our roads which is another reason they're intimidating to cyclists:eek:
    Most seem to be driven by short men with big arm muscles - probably big guts too - but who can tell when they're riding '6 feet off the ground.

As well as making myself highly visable I always ride with my helmet mirror attached - it's so good for seeing what's coming up from behind or when I want to turn etc.