Vision Hard-Shell Seat Retrofit?

Philbert

Guest
Has any one heard if the hard shell seat will be available as a retrofit for older Vision bikes?
Price? Is the hardware compatible with the older Vision frames? Inquiring minds want to know...

At this time they have no plans for a retrofit as I understand it

"Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has any one heard if the hard shell seat will be available as a retrofit
for
> older Vision bikes? Price? Is the hardware compatible with the older
Vision
> frames? Inquiring minds want to know...

>Has any one heard if the hard shell seat will be available as a retrofit for older Vision bikes?
>Price? Is the hardware compatible with the older Vision frames? Inquiring minds want to know...

I have been thinking about putting a M5 seat on my Vision. The current seat is not quite straight,
and it might be possible to use some kind of hose clamp to attach the seat to the frame tube so that
it can be tilted sideways.

M5 sells the seat for about 100 euros, but the hose clamp system is not available, as far as i know.

I don't recall what the reason was but you could email them

"Just meeeeeee." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why???
>

> "m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_Vhya.912113$F1.112319@sccrnsc04...
> > At this time they have no plans for a retrofit as I understand it
> >
> > "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Has any one heard if the hard shell seat will be available as a
retrofit
> > for
> > > older Vision bikes? Price? Is the hardware compatible with the older
> > Vision
> > > frames? Inquiring minds want to know...

Originally posted by Markku Poysti
M5 sells the seat for about 100 euros, but the hose clamp system is not available, as far as i know.

For those of you out there who do not know 100 Euros = 116.627 USD

Derek

"Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Has any one heard if the hard shell seat will be available as a retrofit for older Vision bikes?
> Price? Is the hardware compatible with the older Vision frames? Inquiring minds want to know...

One local rider put an M5 seat on a Vision Saber with homebuilt brackets. The result is one sweet
bike. Of course, it's got lots of carbon fiber parts on it, too- the fork and wheels in particular.

Jeff

I had emailed Vision when I first saw the M5 seats and was told ATP's contract with seat
manufacturer prohibits them from selling the seats except as original equipment.

"Just meeeeeee." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Why???
>

> "m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_Vhya.912113$F1.112319@sccrnsc04...
> > At this time they have no plans for a retrofit as I understand it
> >
> > "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Has any one heard if the hard shell seat will be available as a retrofit
> for
> > > older Vision bikes? Price? Is the hardware compatible with the older
> Vision
> > > frames? Inquiring minds want to know...

I emailed Vision about the M5 hard shell and was told that it would be available in October for a
retrofit on newer Visions and would be in the neighborhood of $400-$500.

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Has any one heard if the hard shell seat will be available as a retrofit for older Vision bikes?
> > Price? Is the hardware compatible with the older Vision frames? Inquiring minds want to know...
>
> One local rider put an M5 seat on a Vision Saber with homebuilt brackets. The result is one sweet
> bike. Of course, it's got lots of carbon fiber parts on it, too- the fork and wheels in
> particular.
>
> Jeff

I replaced the mesh Vision seat on my R68 with an Optima Carbon Fiber seat that I bought from Trike
Trails in Canada. I used Bachetta Aero seat stays to support the seat back and made my own brackets
for mounting the bottom of the seat to the mono-tube mainframe out of 1/8" thick, 1-1/2" aluminium
Angle Beam that I picked up at Home Depot. I also used Bachetta Aero hardware to mount my homemade
brackets to the bottom of the seat.

The overall effect is a lower seat height and a more laid back position. Performance wise I seem to
climb hills faster and more easily as long as I maintain my spin. The shape of the seat really
allows me to put my back and shoulders into hill climbing efforts. Initially the seat bottom hurt my
bottom after a 40 mile ride but I seem to have grown accustomed to it.

I also went to a carbon fork from Terry Cycles, Carbon wheels from HED and The Glide flex Stem. Next
maybe FSA 10 speed Carbon Cranks and cogs

sheldon,

Your bike sounds great. Is there a chance you could post pictures? It would be very useful to see
what your mods look like.

-Geoff Adams Saber R64

--
-Geoff

http://www.geoffadams.com

>>sheldon dixon wrote: I replaced the mesh Vision seat on my R68 with an Optima Carbon Fiber seat
>>that I bought from Trike Trails in Canada. I used Bachetta Aero seat stays to support the seat
>>back and made my own brackets for mounting the bottom of the seat to the mono-tube mainframe out
>>of 1/8" thick, 1-1/2" aluminium Angle Beam that I picked up at Home Depot. I also used Bachetta
>>Aero hardware to mount my homemade brackets to the bottom of the seat.
>>
>> The overall effect is a lower seat height and a more laid back position. Performance wise I seem
>> to climb hills faster and more easily as long as I maintain my spin. The shape of the seat really
>> allows me to put my back and shoulders into hill climbing efforts. Initially the seat bottom hurt
>> my bottom after a 40 mile ride but I seem to have grown accustomed to it.
>>
>> I also went to a carbon fork from Terry Cycles, Carbon wheels from HED and The Glide flex Stem.
>> Next maybe FSA 10 speed Carbon Cranks and cogs

>geoff adams at [email protected] wrote: Your bike sounds great. Is there a chance you could post
>pictures? It would be very useful to see what your mods look like.
Here is one photo from the criterium at the World Championship in Brantford.

http://www.silverstreet.ca/event_photos/IHPSC_2002_JackKarr/pages/crit_dixon .htm

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BAF2448D.ECD3%[email protected]>...
> >>sheldon dixon wrote: I replaced the mesh Vision seat on my R68 with an Optima Carbon Fiber seat
> >>that I bought from Trike Trails in Canada. I used Bachetta Aero seat stays to support the seat
> >>back and made my own brackets for mounting the bottom of the seat to the mono-tube mainframe out
> >>of 1/8" thick, 1-1/2" aluminium Angle Beam that I picked up at Home Depot. I also used Bachetta
> >>Aero hardware to mount my homemade brackets to the bottom of the seat.
> >>
> >> The overall effect is a lower seat height and a more laid back position. Performance wise I
> >> seem to climb hills faster and more easily as long as I maintain my spin. The shape of the seat
> >> really allows me to put my back and shoulders into hill climbing efforts. Initially the seat
> >> bottom hurt my bottom after a 40 mile ride but I seem to have grown accustomed to it.
> >>
> >> I also went to a carbon fork from Terry Cycles, Carbon wheels from HED and The Glide flex Stem.
> >> Next maybe FSA 10 speed Carbon Cranks and cogs
>
> >geoff adams at [email protected] wrote: Your bike sounds great. Is there a chance you could post
> >pictures? It would be very useful to see what your mods look like.
> Here is one photo from the criterium at the World Championship in Brantford.
>
> http://www.silverstreet.ca/event_photos/IHPSC_2002_JackKarr/pages/crit_dixon .htm

Yep! Thats me alright! However, that photo is from the fun ride. I wore my blue club Jersey and HED
wheels at the criterium. Also I did not have the carbon seat and fork at Brantford.

Thanks for the rememberance!

>> Jay <[email protected]> wrote: Here is one photo from the criterium at the World Championship in
>> Brantford. http://www.silverstreet.ca/event_photos/IHPSC_2002_JackKarr/pages/crit_dixon .htm

>sheldon dixon at [email protected] wrote on 5/22/03 11:42 PM: Yep! Thats me alright! However, that
>photo is from the fun ride. I wore my blue club Jersey and HED wheels at the criterium. Also I did
>not have the carbon seat and fork at Brantford. Thanks for the rememberance!

Sorry for the inaccuracy. The photo was by Jack Karr and I was not present when he took it.

I am Jay, the chubby blonde woman on the heavy homebuilt black tadpole trike that you lapped
multiple times at the criterium. You cheered me on as if I was really competing.