vision low gear noise

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Oliver Dain, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Oliver Dain

    Oliver Dain Guest

    I just bought a Vision R40 and for the most part I love it. However when I'm in the granny gear on
    the front chain-ring it makes a lot of noise. The chain goes from the front ring through that black
    plastic guide thing. The guide is closer to the large chain-ring and so it pulls the chain at an
    angle causing it to rub against the middle front chain-ring and make some noise. The plastic guide
    is fairly wide, but not wide enough. The noise is a bit annoying, but I'm also worried that its bad
    for the chain. Anybody else had this problem? Any solutions?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. This "guide thing", is it an idler? I think it might be located too close to the chain rings. There
    is another mounting point about 4 inches further back. MB

    "Oliver Dain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just bought a Vision R40 and for the most part I love it. However when I'm in the granny gear on
    > the front chain-ring it makes a lot of noise. The chain goes from the front ring through that
    > black plastic guide thing. The guide is closer to the large chain-ring and so it pulls the chain
    > at an angle causing it to rub against the middle front chain-ring and make some noise. The plastic
    > guide is fairly wide, but not wide enough. The noise is a bit annoying, but I'm also worried that
    > its bad for the chain. Anybody else had this problem? Any solutions?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Oliver Dain

    Oliver Dain Guest

    Michael Blomquist wrote:

    > This "guide thing", is it an idler? I think it might be located too close to the chain rings.
    > There is another mounting point about 4 inches further back. MB

    I don't know what an idler is. The "guide thing" is a black plastic cylander which the chain runs
    over. I looked at the bike and you're right: there is another mounting point further back. I think
    I'll move it and see if that helps. Thanks.

  4. Devon

    Devon Guest

    Oliver Dain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Michael Blomquist wrote:
    >
    > > This "guide thing", is it an idler? I think it might be located too close to the chain rings.
    > > There is another mounting point about 4 inches further back. MB
    >
    > I don't know what an idler is. The "guide thing" is a black plastic cylander which the chain runs
    > over. I looked at the bike and you're right: there is another mounting point further back. I think
    > I'll move it and see if that helps. Thanks.

    If your bike is a 2002 or 2003, then the idler in question is likely the chain tension idler, which
    allows quick adjustments for different users.

    I had a similar issue with my chain on both my 2002's (R44 and R54). Once I felt I was "dialed
    in" to correct boom length I removed the chain tensioner setup entirely (shortened chain of
    course), reducing weight, and a bit of idler resistance/chain noise. Of course if more than one
    person will be using the bike, the chain tensioner is a nice feature. I regularly shorten the
    boom for hauling inside my vehicle, but have "my" length marked. I LOVE the quick release boom
    adjustement for this reason.

    If bike is pre-2002 then just moving the idler pulley to the rear is a possibility.