vision low gear noise

Oliver Dain

Guest
I just bought a Vision R40 and for the most part I love it. However when I'm in the granny gear on
the front chain-ring it makes a lot of noise. The chain goes from the front ring through that black
plastic guide thing. The guide is closer to the large chain-ring and so it pulls the chain at an
angle causing it to rub against the middle front chain-ring and make some noise. The plastic guide
is fairly wide, but not wide enough. The noise is a bit annoying, but I'm also worried that its bad
for the chain. Anybody else had this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks.

This "guide thing", is it an idler? I think it might be located too close to the chain rings. There
is another mounting point about 4 inches further back. MB

news:[email protected]...

Michael Blomquist wrote:

> This "guide thing", is it an idler? I think it might be located too close to the chain rings.
> There is another mounting point about 4 inches further back. MB

I don't know what an idler is. The "guide thing" is a black plastic cylander which the chain runs
over. I looked at the bike and you're right: there is another mounting point further back. I think
I'll move it and see if that helps. Thanks.

Oliver Dain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Michael Blomquist wrote:
>
> > This "guide thing", is it an idler? I think it might be located too close to the chain rings.
> > There is another mounting point about 4 inches further back. MB
>
> I don't know what an idler is. The "guide thing" is a black plastic cylander which the chain runs
> over. I looked at the bike and you're right: there is another mounting point further back. I think
> I'll move it and see if that helps. Thanks.

If your bike is a 2002 or 2003, then the idler in question is likely the chain tension idler, which
allows quick adjustments for different users.

I had a similar issue with my chain on both my 2002's (R44 and R54). Once I felt I was "dialed
in" to correct boom length I removed the chain tensioner setup entirely (shortened chain of
course), reducing weight, and a bit of idler resistance/chain noise. Of course if more than one
person will be using the bike, the chain tensioner is a nice feature. I regularly shorten the
boom for hauling inside my vehicle, but have "my" length marked. I LOVE the quick release boom
adjustement for this reason.

If bike is pre-2002 then just moving the idler pulley to the rear is a possibility.