Vision Mesh Seat Wear

chuck

Guest
The mesh portion back of my Vision seat is getting holes worn through a
few spots. I've been covering these with duct tape, but after a few
rides the tape ends up stuck to me instead of the seat. Anyone know of
any repair tricks to get a few more thousand miles out of the seat? I'm
thinking along the lines of an iron-on patch(es). A guy told me that
Hostel Shoppe has replacement seats for it, but I'd like to put that off
as long as possible. Thanks for any adivce.

> Anyone know of
> any repair tricks to get a few more thousand miles out of the seat? I'm
> thinking along the lines of an iron-on patch(es).

I'd sew a patch over the hole / holes. If sewing is not your forte, you
could bring the seat mesh to an upholsterer.

~ Nanc
1999 Vision R-44 USS
2003 Vision R-45 USS
Louisiana

Be sure to keep the straps of your seat pulled tight. I found
the wear on my seat was from the seat mesh rubbing the straps.

I made some repairs to my Vision seat with the plastic material used
for doing needle point and upholstery thread (Coats & Clark T26).
Cut the plastic material about 3/4 to 1" bigger than the area to be
repaired.
Work from the back side of the seat mesh. Start at the top corner and work
across the top edge to hold the plastic material in place. Stitches on the
back
should be up & down. Stitches on the front should be diagonal and capture
at least one strand of the seat mesh. Align the edges of the plastic with
the
long (up & down) strands of the seat mesh. At the edges of the plastic be
sure to capture the same seat mesh strand with each stitch. Pull the
stitches
tight but not so tight as to cut into the plastic material. I find pulling
the thread
tighter when coming back through the back of the repair works best.
The repair will feel stiffer than the seat mesh but isn't noticeable while
riding.
If you have a couple of spots inline and close to each other it's easier to
cover
them with one bigger piece than 2 smaller ones. The repairs I made this way
have
lasted at least 1,500 miles and still look strong. Inexpensive but time
consuming.

Jay
Brooklyn, NY

"chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The mesh portion back of my Vision seat is getting holes worn through a
> few spots. I've been covering these with duct tape, but after a few
> rides the tape ends up stuck to me instead of the seat. Anyone know of
> any repair tricks to get a few more thousand miles out of the seat? I'm
> thinking along the lines of an iron-on patch(es). A guy told me that
> Hostel Shoppe has replacement seats for it, but I'd like to put that off
> as long as possible. Thanks for any adivce.

Any good upholstererjcan get the mesh material and fix your seat good as
new. Go for it!.

news:[email protected]...

On 2007-05-28, R-42 R-64 Baron Rider <[email protected]> wrote:
> Be sure to keep the straps of your seat pulled tight. I found
> the wear on my seat was from the seat mesh rubbing the straps.
>
> I made some repairs to my Vision seat with the plastic material used
> for doing needle point and upholstery thread (Coats & Clark T26).
> Cut the plastic material about 3/4 to 1" bigger than the area to be
> repaired.
> Work from the back side of the seat mesh. Start at the top corner and work
> across the top edge to hold the plastic material in place. Stitches on the
> back
> should be up & down. Stitches on the front should be diagonal and capture
> at least one strand of the seat mesh. Align the edges of the plastic with
> the
> long (up & down) strands of the seat mesh. At the edges of the plastic be
> sure to capture the same seat mesh strand with each stitch. Pull the
> stitches
> tight but not so tight as to cut into the plastic material. I find pulling
> the thread
> tighter when coming back through the back of the repair works best.
> The repair will feel stiffer than the seat mesh but isn't noticeable while
> riding.
> If you have a couple of spots inline and close to each other it's easier to
> cover
> them with one bigger piece than 2 smaller ones. The repairs I made this way
> have
> lasted at least 1,500 miles and still look strong. Inexpensive but time
> consuming.
>
> Jay
> Brooklyn, NY

My wife just suggested what seems like the best patch material. Her
solution was the material from a trampoline repair kit.