Vision R44 Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Richard, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    The threading on the bottom bracket shell is trashed, and I'm looking for a boom tube with bottom
    bracket shell for a Vision R44. Anyone know any sources for Vision parts?

    Tags:

  2. P. Hardewig

    P. Hardewig Guest

    Perhaps it's be cheaper if your LBS re-tapped your ruined BB shell with Italian threads & you just
    changed over your BB.
    --
    Wishing you flat hills, tailwinds & friendly dogs, Pat

    "richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s54...
    > The threading on the bottom bracket shell is trashed, and I'm looking for
    > boom tube with bottom bracket shell for a Vision R44. Anyone know any sources for Vision parts?

  3. In article <[email protected]>, P. Hardewig" <pjwig says...

    >Perhaps it's be cheaper if your LBS re-tapped your ruined BB shell with Italian threads & you just
    >changed over your BB.
    >--
    >Wishing you flat hills, tailwinds & friendly dogs, Pat
    >
    >"richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s54...
    >> The threading on the bottom bracket shell is trashed, and I'm looking for
    >> boom tube with bottom bracket shell for a Vision R44. Anyone know any sources for Vision parts?

    If you go this route please get back to us on how well it works. I too have a Vision with a BB whose
    threads are a bit dicy, and dread the thought of what comes next.

    Steve Christensen Midland, MI

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Steve Christensen wrote:

    > If you go this route please get back to us on how well it works. I too have a Vision with a BB
    > whose threads are a bit dicy, and dread the thought of what comes next.

    Any competent frame builder could cut the BB shell off the boom and weld a new one on. Except for a
    probable color mismatch between the repainted boom and the frame, no one would notice.

    Another alternative would be to remove the threads entirely and press-fit in bearings and a crank
    spindle. Here is an example (except the BB on this bike was not originally threaded).
    <http://bikecult.com/works/parts/bbViscount.html>.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  5. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    what seems to be the problem with people getting vision threads out of whack? it's a steel BB shell,
    should hold up forever.

    Steve Christensen wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, P. Hardewig" <pjwig says...
    >
    >>Perhaps it's be cheaper if your LBS re-tapped your ruined BB shell with Italian threads & you just
    >>changed over your BB.
    >>--
    >>Wishing you flat hills, tailwinds & friendly dogs, Pat
    >>
    >>"richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s54...
    >>
    >>>The threading on the bottom bracket shell is trashed, and I'm looking for

    >>>boom tube with bottom bracket shell for a Vision R44. Anyone know any sources for Vision parts?
    >

    > If you go this route please get back to us on how well it works. I too have a Vision with a BB
    > whose threads are a bit dicy, and dread the thought of what comes next.
    >
    > Steve Christensen Midland, MI

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > Steve Christensen wrote:
    >
    > > If you go this route please get back to us on how well it works. I too have a Vision with a BB
    > > whose threads are a bit dicy, and dread the thought of what comes next.
    >
    > Any competent frame builder could cut the BB shell off the boom and weld a new one on. Except for
    > a probable color mismatch between the repainted boom and the frame, no one would notice.

    A competent mechanic would run a tap through the threads to see if they could be straightened out.
    Also, there are some bottom brackets with more threads on the cups. If a few of the outer threads
    are completely gone, tapping past them could get into virgin steel and allow reinstallation.

    Other possibilities are adding material with JB Weld, brazing rod, or TIG welding.

    > Another alternative would be to remove the threads entirely and press-fit in bearings and a crank
    > spindle. Here is an example (except the BB on this bike was not originally threaded).
    > <http://bikecult.com/works/parts/bbViscount.html>.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

    Cartridge bottom brackets that don't require threads are available from Bike Tools Etc. Go to
    www.biketoolsetc.com and search for "YST BB993 Threadless" and you'll find 7 different "threadless"
    bottom brackets. Their bearings are a little doubtful, though- their reputation isn't the best. If
    the threads are completely gone, though, this is your cheapest solution.

    Jeff