Vision Saber impressions

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Geoff Adams, May 26, 2003.

  1. Geoff Adams

    Geoff Adams Guest

    Folks,

    The comments from people in the group have been very useful to me as a new bent rider. I thought I
    would post my impressions of the Vision R-64 Saber which I got recently - maybe it will be useful to
    anybody thinking about this bike.

    I am 6'5", 190 lbs. Most of my riding consists of daily 10 mile workout blasts and occasional longer
    rides of 40-60 miles. I have been riding an HPV Speedmachine since October, and have been on the
    Saber for a month.... about 400 miles.

    HANDLING: The thing that most impresses me about this bike is the agility. It has the handling of a
    road bike with all the advantages of the recumbent riding position. With that responsive handling
    comes pedal steer - probably due to the short wheelbase, and long boom. It is more noticeable at
    slow speeds. Over 10 mph the pedal steer is less of an issue. The problem I have with the pedal
    steer is that it makes developing a smooth cadence more of a challenge because the bike imposes
    oscillation on the pedaling action. I find myself occasionally falling into a subtle "pump" if I let
    the pedal steering get the best of me. It's a very minor thing.

    MOUNTING: Hoping on and off the bike quickly is very easy - easier than the low Speedmachine. Also,
    at stops, the higher position means my down leg is in a more extended position than on the
    Speedmachine. I always felt I couldn't see well form the Spdmchn also. I know there are people who
    swear by their lowracres, even on the roads as commuting machines, but I always felt like I couldn't
    see well from the Spdmchn. No problem on the highracer. For flying around in traffic, the Saber is
    as manageable as my Giant Hybrid.

    HANDLEBARS: When I tested this bike and the Bachetta Corsa, the Saber handlebar position was very
    natural because of my experience with the Speedmachine. I have to say the Corsa felt fantastic too.
    I realize that the superman position has the aero advantage - and that people get acclimated to it
    very quickly. There is a lot of adjustability in the stem/handlebar arrangement on the Saber. A
    tweener bar set up is possible by reversing the stem. I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like it
    could work very well.

    SPEED: I guess this is a matter of training and condition, but I feel that on my 10 mile ride I am
    2-4 mph quicker on average than the Speedmachine on the same course. The Speedmachine is 37 lbs.,
    the Saber is 27. That and the fact that the suspension on the Speedmachine tends to absorb some
    energy, would probably explain some of the difference, but also the Saber's lower BB to seat height
    seems a better match for me. I can generate more power on this bike.

    SEAT: I know there's a whole lot of discussion about seats on the group. The Vision seat is
    extremely comfortable for
    me. So is the HPV fiberglass seat. But the Vision seat is more comfortable on long rides (for me).
    Very subjective, this seat stuff.

    mf. CORSA: I test rode the Saber first and it felt so natural that it really biased me. I tried to
    resist that bias. But I failed. I managed to get the Corsa seat angle and handlebars adjusted
    to a good spot for me and once I did I found that this bike tracks beautifully. (Oh, I sat on a
    Strada once, the seat was curved in all the wrong places... so that was never a contender). I
    detected no significant pedal steer. This bike felt stable from 0 mph on up. Off the line it
    just went right where it was pointed - better than the Saber. Very solid. Both bikes
    accelerated fast and handled hills beautifully. This was a very difficult decision. I think it
    was the tweener bars (or the fact that I just COULDN'T ride a yellow bike. No.) The Saber bars
    fell into place, keeping my arms loose and responsive. On the tweener bars I felt like my arms
    were locked. I KNOW this is really a matter of familiarity, and I am jealous of all the
    Bachetta riders. Hey, like, who says this is the last bent I'll get? (Ti AERO as soon as my
    ship comes in!)

    That's all I can think of for now.

    --
    -Geoff Adams Providence, RI

    Tags:

  2. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    > I just COULDN'T ride a yellow bike. No.)

    Yes the Bachetta colors are a bit loud. Obviously a lot of people like them. I couldn't ride the "BP
    Green" so I got the Giro frameset and had it painted something more subdued.

  3. I test rode the Corsa and Aero and the Saber R-64 on two different occasions and all rides were
    short three or four mile test rides on the Pinellas Trail. For whatever reason, I found the Saber a
    more "natural" fit for me. The saber was, for me at least, a little more comfortable seating, a
    little more predictable, a little easier to manage, less twitchy, whatever.

    --
    news:[email protected]...