Visit to Paducah KY by Aussie

"Bronwyn Ferrier Ms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sigh...I rather enjoy a good day at the races.

There is Bluegrass Downs, and they have daily races. I think they'll be racing when you are in town,
so you might want to check that out.

In article <[email protected]>, LAllin
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 21-Feb-2004, Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The barbecued goat wasn't bad, but I think that's a Fourth of July
>
> You sure it was goat? Mutton (sheep) is a very popular meat to barbecue, but I've never seen
> barbecued goat. Ummmmmmmmmm, I love bbq mutton; I may have to pull the last of my stockpile from
> the freezer. I no longer live in KY, but my sister does; she periodically smuggle several pounds
> of bbq mutton out of the state for me<smile>.

It was goat. May have been a family pet, but it is a tradition in the small Western Kentucy
community where many of my forebears are interred. Ye Gads! No, it was goat.

"Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:220220040820403011%[email protected]...

> It was goat. May have been a family pet, but it is a tradition in the small Western Kentucy
> community where many of my forebears are interred. Ye Gads! No, it was goat.

If you don't mind my asking, what town is your family from? I was raised near Fulton, and am always
interested in meeting people from KY.

I definitely do NOT mean KFC!!! Find a locally owned restaurant, not a chain fast food restaurant.
There _is_ a world of difference. And as another poster mentioned, try some Country Ham too.

Moe

: Thanks again everyone for your comments! Having eaten catfish (yummy)(with all the trimmings) for
: the first time in Austin last year (at the Catfish Parlour - what a place; the owner/or manager
: personally welcomed us, gave us a cap and shirt and told us how he enjoyed a trip to OZ some time
: ago), look forward to trying the Ky version. Also had fried chicken steak which was terrific
: - however in Ky you may mean real chicken as in Kentucky Fried Chicken. Now of course KFC is all
: over Oz and I have experienced it once or twice in my life with no desire to do so again -- but
: I'll try the Ky version for educational purposes as the birthplace of same <g> -- maybe there is
: a world of difference! Cheers Bronwyn

:> Be prepared - you may experience culture shock. Paducah is not an area laden with rich folk nor
:> high class/fancy restaurants.
:>
:> Fried Chicken and catfish are Kentucky staples, you've gotta try those from several different
:> places.
:

> I definitely do NOT mean KFC!!! Find a locally owned restaurant, not a chain fast food restaurant.
> There _is_ a world of difference. And as another poster mentioned, try some Country Ham too.

My Apologies Moe! I saw 'Kentucky' and 'Fried Chicken' and came up with KFC. I am sure fried chicken
from a locally owned place would be delicious. Cheers Bronwyn