Visiting Lake Tahoe - road ride recommendations?

Lrac6

Jun 20, 2006
Hey all,

I'm visiting Lake Tahoe in a few weekends, and I'd like to get some good rides in. Google turns up mainly mountain-bike trails around Tahoe.

The main road ride seems to be the 'around the lake' ride on the highways. I'm a beginner, so 76 miles around the lake is a bit much for me (although certainly a portion of it would work)

Anyhow, any recommendations for some good rides around 20-40 miles long?

I'll be staying in South Lake Tahoe, but I could drive somewhere nearby if need be.

Thanks!

Lrac6 said:
Hey all,

I'm visiting Lake Tahoe in a few weekends, and I'd like to get some good rides in. Google turns up mainly mountain-bike trails around Tahoe.

The main road ride seems to be the 'around the lake' ride on the highways. I'm a beginner, so 76 miles around the lake is a bit much for me (although certainly a portion of it would work)

Anyhow, any recommendations for some good rides around 20-40 miles long?

I'll be staying in South Lake Tahoe, but I could drive somewhere nearby if need be.

Thanks!
ive got a place in south lake, and frequent the area often. i like to go west on the highway around to the top of the climb on emerald and back if i only want a short ride. you could always ride to truckee and back, its a beautiful ride on a bike friendly highway.
for a nice pretty short ride good to do at high intensity we start at the coffee shop right off of the highway (alpine roast) and take the road behind it west. stay on the road all the way until you hit 50 from sac, then turn around and come back. very pretty, few stops, rolling hills.

snaps10 said:
... we start at the coffee shop right off of the highway (alpine roast) and take the road behind it west. stay on the road all the way until you hit 50 from sac...

Is that Pioneer Trail?

Lrac6 said:
Is that Pioneer Trail?
yup. you cant miss it, the coffee shop is kind of on a a triangle shaped lot. ill get you a map in a sec. where are you staying at?