Visiting Le Tour

CallItAHunch

Jun 25, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and hoping for some advice.

To start off I'm getting on a bit now & haven't cycled seriously in years, but I've retained my love of pro racing since the 80's. It's always been my dream to go and see a couple of stages in the tour, so my darling wife has suprised me by booking flights, hotel (100 metres from Champs-Elysées) to go and see the last 2 stages. Chuffed to bits doesn't come close.

We know it's going to be absolutely jam packed, so can anyone advise the best way to get a good viewing position, what time we need to be there for & if there is any essential info we need to know.

Many thanks in advance.

You need to get out on to the Paris stage of the course as early as you can.

Champs Elysees itself becomes absolutely packed (crowds can be 5-6 deep at least).

If I were you I'd look at spectating on the Rue De Rivoli which is less crowded but is on the approach to Place De La Concorde and on to the Champs Elysees.

If you're determined to see the race on the Elysees, you'd better get your spot there no later than 10.00am on the morning of the finish.

Originally Posted by CallItAHunch .

Thanks for that, was thinking about Place De La Concorde.
As far as I know space is limited on the Place De La Concorde (places were limited the year we visited which was in the early 2000's).
This might have changed since we visited of course.

I can see the attraction of Concorde, Elysees and Rivoli : you get to see the peloton 7 or 8 times completing the circuit.

Hopefully someone who have visited the tour more recently will be able to confirm the Concorde situation

If I were you I'd look at spectating on the Rue De Rivoli which is less crowded but is on the approach to Place De La Concorde and on to the Champs Elysees.
kv.gif