vistalite battery question

JayDub

Guest
Hi All,

I have a VistaLite cycling headlamp set that is quite old but it still
works and looks great. The set comes with 15W and 10W headlamps that
attach to a handlebar by a wraparound collar with a long hinged bolt at
the end. The battery is bulky and heavy and is attached in a pouch that
is velcro wrapped around the down tube. I'm explaining all of this
because maybe you have the same model and I don't know the model
number.

I need to get a new battery as this one only lasts for a few minutes
after an all day charge.Any ideas on where I could go or how I can fine
a replacement?

I tried VistaLight.com and Bell Sports (since I believe they acquired
vistalight) but have had no success.

The battery is SAFT NICAD part no. 407864 and it's from 1994. It's
wrapped in a white plastic and measures about 8"x3".
The charger is VistaLite SLB model # BC-076OR
input 120VAC 60Hz 9w
output 7VDC 600mA

Thanks for any suggestions!
JW

JayDub wrote:
> I need to get a new battery as this one only lasts for a few minutes
> after an all day charge.Any ideas on where I could go or how I can fine
> a replacement?

Maybe batteryspace.com. I'd probably get a NiMH battery, a smart
charger, and maybe the connectors needed (or you could re-use the one
from your current battery).

> I tried VistaLight.com and Bell Sports (since I believe they acquired
> vistalight) but have had no success.
>
> The battery is SAFT NICAD part no. 407864 and it's from 1994. It's
> wrapped in a white plastic and measures about 8"x3".
> The charger is VistaLite SLB model # BC-076OR
> input 120VAC 60Hz 9w
> output 7VDC 600mA

Sounds like you've got a 6v system.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=707

To run at the full 25w @ 6v, sounds like you need a pack that can handle
4+ amps (not all the 6v batteries at the link are rated for that load).

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Check out Weber Sports for replacement parts, Bell no longer carries
Vistalight parts.
Try nicadlady for a stick battery. They made one for me that works
better than the original.
ed

On 15 Nov 2006 11:48:42 -0800, "JayDub" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a VistaLite cycling headlamp set that is quite old but it still
>works and looks great. The set comes with 15W and 10W headlamps that
>attach to a handlebar by a wraparound collar with a long hinged bolt at
>the end. The battery is bulky and heavy and is attached in a pouch that
>is velcro wrapped around the down tube. I'm explaining all of this
>because maybe you have the same model and I don't know the model
>number.
>
>I need to get a new battery as this one only lasts for a few minutes
>after an all day charge.Any ideas on where I could go or how I can fine
>a replacement?
>
>I tried VistaLight.com and Bell Sports (since I believe they acquired
>vistalight) but have had no success.
>
>The battery is SAFT NICAD part no. 407864 and it's from 1994. It's
>wrapped in a white plastic and measures about 8"x3".
>The charger is VistaLite SLB model # BC-076OR
>input 120VAC 60Hz 9w
>output 7VDC 600mA

I suspect you'll need to get three NiCd cells and solder them together
in series; I've had good luck dealing with www.nicdlady.com

Pat

Email address works as is.

5 cells = 6v (1.2v per cell)
But you can often get a noticeable improvement using 6 cells =7.2v and
overdriving the bulb. Bulb life still seems OK although it must be
shortened. 6 cell packs are common in RC model stores already soldered and
with a neat connector, but you will need a new charger if you chose this
route. Also worth getting NMH cells now as they tend to have more capacity
and the charging regime is close enough to be able to use your original
charger, as long as you stick to 5 cells.

SW

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:57:54 +0000, Steve Watkin wrote:

> 5 cells = 6v (1.2v per cell)
> But you can often get a noticeable improvement using 6 cells =7.2v and
> overdriving the bulb. Bulb life still seems OK although it must be
> shortened.

Vistalite bulbs are already overdriven at 6V. With a 7.2V battery, your
bulb life will be very short indeed, and less reliable -- prone to the
filament breaking over bumps.

> 6 cell packs are common in RC model stores already soldered and
> with a neat connector, but you will need a new charger if you chose this
> route.

5 cell packs are readily available from battery suppliers like
www.batteryspace.com

> Also worth getting NMH cells now as they tend to have more capacity
> and the charging regime is close enough to be able to use your original
> charger, as long as you stick to 5 cells.

NiMH cells are pretty much a direct replacement for nicads. With NiMH
you'll get nearly double the capacity (or half the weight), but you must
be more careful about charging. NiMH are more prone to overcharging
damage than nicads.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> Vistalite bulbs are already overdriven at 6V.

All of them, or only those designated as "HOT" bulbs?

I've got VistaLite Nightstick systems of two vintages, one
grey/yellow/NiCd that didn't have "HOT" bulbs, one grey/blue/NiMH that
has at least one H.O.T. bulb and the latter look brighter (for the same
wattage rating) and whiter (higher color temperature?).

--

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:58:22 +0000, Victor Kan wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>> Vistalite bulbs are already overdriven at 6V.

> All of them, or only those designated as "HOT" bulbs?

Probably just those, but the HOT bulbs were the only ones sold for several
years.

> I've got VistaLite Nightstick systems of two vintages, one
> grey/yellow/NiCd that didn't have "HOT" bulbs, one grey/blue/NiMH that
> has at least one H.O.T. bulb and the latter look brighter (for the same
> wattage rating) and whiter (higher color temperature?).

Yup. If you have an old bulb or a generic one, you can increase the
battery voltage, but if you're using the HOT bulb or any bulb from a major
bike light company, it's likely already "overvolted."

Light output is more variable, but there's a pretty direct relationship
between voltage and bulb life. For every 10% you increase voltage, you
decrease bulb life by a factor of 10. For example, when a typical MR lamp
rated for 4000 hours at 12V is "overvolted" 10% by a 13.2V battery, the
resulting bulb life is ~400 hours -- still acceptable for many bike light
users. But go beyond that and your bulb life gets really short. The
bulb becomes really fragile too -- likely to fail over rough terrain.

Matt O.