Vistalite nightstick charger help

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gemma Kernich, May 14, 2003.

  1. Hi All, Can anyone please tell me what specifications the original charger for the VistaLite
    Nightstick Ni-Cad 2000mAH battery has? (In V and mA please - it should say on the charger somewhere
    I hope!) I need to get a charger to suit....

    Cheers Gemma

    Tags:

  2. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All, Can anyone please tell me what specifications the original charger for the VistaLite
    > Nightstick Ni-Cad 2000mAH battery has? (In V and mA please - it should say on the charger
    > somewhere I hope!) I need to get a charger to suit....
    >
    > Cheers Gemma

    Can't help. Sorry. I've got the Nightstick 15 which is NiMh.

    --
    Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au GWB the Ghengis Khan of the 21st Century

  3. "Anthony N" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > Back of the VistaLite charge reads:
    > >
    > > Class 2 transformaer Model No. R410706 Input: 120VAC 60Hz 7W Output: 7.2VDC 600mA
    > >
    > > Hope that helps.
    > >
    > > Bill
    >
    > Odds, mine says:
    >
    > Class 2 Transformer Model No. R350803 Input: 120VAC 60Hz 6W Output: 7.2VDC 300mA
    >
    > Can anyone else confirm?

    Can you check whether you're using the same battery as me? I think the Ni-Cad's chargers are
    different to the NiMh's. I am after the charger for the black Ni-Cad nightstick. There is a bit of a
    difference between 300 and 600 mA output! I think we've agreed though that the output voltage is
    7.2DCV! Cheers Gemma
    ps. you don't need to worry about the input figures - they depend on where you are in the world! We
    have 240V AC here in Oz for example :)

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone please tell me what specifications the original charger
    for the
    > > VistaLite Nightstick Ni-Cad 2000mAH battery has? (In V and mA please - it should say on the
    > > charger somewhere I
    hope!)
    > > I need to get a charger to suit....
    > >
    > > Cheers Gemma
    > >

    > Can't help. Sorry. I've got the Nightstick 15 which is NiMh.

    I have two of these.. should start using them I guess... mmm 30W instead of ~1W :)

    Gemma, this page doesn't have specs but has a large discussion about the VistaLights:
    http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/massbike/email/archive/199711/0287.html

    They seem to say that the standard chargers are rubbish and you should use a "smart" charger anyway.
    It also mentions "bikecurrent" which I think is a bike light mailing list on Topica - they might
    have more answers for you. Try googling for "bikecurrent"?? Actually, I just did and the bikecurrent
    FAQ says that the NiCads do not suffer from the "dumb" charger problem...

    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful hippy

  5. Anthony N

    Anthony N Guest

    "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Anthony N" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > > Back of the VistaLite charge reads:
    > > >
    > > > Class 2 transformaer Model No. R410706 Input: 120VAC 60Hz 7W Output: 7.2VDC 600mA
    > > >
    > > > Hope that helps.
    > > >
    > > > Bill
    > >
    > > Odds, mine says:
    > >
    > > Class 2 Transformer Model No. R350803 Input: 120VAC 60Hz 6W Output: 7.2VDC 300mA
    > >
    > > Can anyone else confirm?
    >

    > Can you check whether you're using the same battery as me? I think the Ni-Cad's chargers are
    > different to the NiMh's. I am after the charger for the black Ni-Cad nightstick. There is a bit of
    > a difference between 300
    and
    > 600 mA output! I think we've agreed though that the output voltage is
    > 7.2DCV! Cheers Gemma
    > ps. you don't need to worry about the input figures - they depend on where you are in the world!
    > We have 240V AC here in Oz for example :)

    I have both types of battery. I gave the spec for the NiCad earlier. Bill posted the spec for the
    NiMh. Actually, a good place to confirm is to email www.pricepoint.com and check. They are selling
    the NiCad version at this link: http://pricepoint.com/product1968.html. They also sell the NiHm one
    so make sure they check the right one.

  6. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All, Can anyone please tell me what specifications the original charger for the VistaLite
    > Nightstick Ni-Cad 2000mAH battery has? (In V and mA please - it should say on the charger
    > somewhere I hope!) I need to get a charger to suit....

    Hi Gemma,

    The NiCd nightsticks use a 7.2V, 300mA charger, while the NiMH ones use a
    7.2V, 600mA charger.

    I have the NiCd one.

    Regards,

    Suzy

    --
    ---
    Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

  7. Iguana Bwana

    Iguana Bwana Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 11:20:18 +0930, "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can anyone please tell me what specifications the original charger for the VistaLite Nightstick
    >Ni-Cad 2000mAH battery has?

    The specs of the power supply (step down transformer) supplied with product for the oz market was:

    input: 240V AC 50Hz output: 7.2V DC, 300mA, positive tip

    Phantom should be able to supply an original. Otherwise, a variable output interchangeable tip unit
    from Dick Smith (eg: Phillips) rated circa 300mA should do the trick.

    cheers

    Iguana Bwana

  8. Iguana Bwana

    Iguana Bwana Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 13:22:04 +0930, "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Back of the VistaLite charge reads:

    >> > Class 2 transformaer Model No. R410706 Input: 120VAC 60Hz 7W Output: 7.2VDC 600mA

    That's the one for the US market *NiMH* nightstick.

    >> Class 2 Transformer Model No. R350803 Input: 120VAC 60Hz 6W Output: 7.2VDC 300mA
    >>
    >> Can anyone else confirm?

    That's the one for the US market *nicad* nightstick.

    Iguana Bwana

  9. benmatt

    benmatt New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2003
    Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the net fron the states, it's arrived and of course has a different charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240. Where do I stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so it'll fit in the power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've no wish to toast it!

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Ben

  10. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "benmatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the net fron the states, it's
    > arrived and of course has a different charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240.
    > Where do I stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so it'll fit in the
    > power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've no wish to toast it!
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ben

    Go to a travel shop and see if they have a 120/240 adaptor - you may have to order it as the
    'normal' would be 240/120 in Australia (going from Australia to US would be 240/120 change), but
    ask first.

    --
    Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au Is Lewis Moran the type of father figure John Howard
    wants for Australian children?

  11. Al User

    Al User Guest

    Try these, http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MF1091
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f24040208b35150273fc0a87f9c0628/Product/View/M1155 ht-
    tp://www.korjo.com.au:80//product.asp?dept%5Fid=15&pf%5Fid=SDT+98&mscssid=DJK5VC5FHL649NV4BFUWV6NJ5-
    E5V3TR7 Considering an appropriate Step-down voltage converter will be $49 or more, It'd probably be
    cheaper to replace the charger with one designed for 240V.

    Alan Erskine wrote:
    > "benmatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the net fron the states, it's
    >>arrived and of course has a different charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240.
    >>Where do I stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so it'll fit in the
    >>power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've no wish to toast it!
    >>
    >>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Ben
    >

    > Go to a travel shop and see if they have a 120/240 adaptor - you may have to order it as the
    > 'normal' would be 240/120 in Australia (going from Australia to US would be 240/120 change), but
    > ask first.
    >

    > --
    > Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au Is Lewis Moran the type of father figure John Howard
    > wants for Australian children?

  12. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "benmatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the net fron the states, it's
    > arrived and of course has a different charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240.
    > Where do I stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so it'll fit in the
    > power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as
    I've
    > no wish to toast it!

    Have a look at the VistaLite charger and see if it is "universal", i.e. has two voltages written on
    it. If it has something like "240/60Hz ... 110/50Hz" (I can't remember exactly) then it is likely it
    will work with a simple plug adaptor. I don't have my charger handy to check this. If it only has
    one voltage on it (110V) you will need something to change the voltage too. --Disclaimer.. I am not
    an electrician, listen/live at your own risk!

    hth hippy

  13. troyq

    troyq New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2003
    If you were thinking of getting another battery anyway (I did the same thing), then the easiest way is to puchase a battery/charger combo from somewhere like phantom cycles (around $79 + delivery).

    Obviously it will mean you have 1 charger for 2 batt. but how often do you need to charge 2 at once anyway?!? (24hr races may be the exception)

  14. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Dick Smith will sell you a transformer to convert 240v to 110v. I think the cost is about $40

    troyq wrote:
    > benmatt wrote:
    > > Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the net fron the states,
    > > it's arrived and of course has a different charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to
    > > our 240. Where do I stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so it'll
    > > fit in the power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've no wish to toast it! Any
    > > help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Ben
    >

    > If you were thinking of getting another battery anyway (I did the same thing), then the easiest
    > way is to puchase a battery/charger combo from somewhere like phantom cycles (around $79 +
    > delivery).
    >
    > Obviously it will mean you have 1 charger for 2 batt. but how often do you need to charge 2 at
    > once anyway?!? (24hr races may be the exception)

  15. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    (top post)

    'nother suggestion is to return it to the supplier as it's not compatible with Australian current.
    --

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dick Smith will sell you a transformer to convert 240v to 110v. I think the cost is about $40
    >
    > troyq wrote:
    > > benmatt wrote:
    > > > Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over
    the
    > > > net fron the states, it's arrived and of course has a different charger, rated at the US 120
    > > > volts as opposed to our 240. Where do I stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve
    > > > got an adapter so it'll fit in the power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as
    I've
    > > > no wish to toast it! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Ben
    > >

    > > If you were thinking of getting another battery anyway (I did the same thing), then the easiest
    > > way is to puchase a battery/charger combo from somewhere like phantom cycles (around $79 +
    > > delivery).
    > >
    > > Obviously it will mean you have 1 charger for 2 batt. but how often do you need to charge 2 at
    > > once anyway?!? (24hr races may be the exception)
    > >

    > > --

  16. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Alan Erskine" wrote
    > 'nother suggestion is to return it to the supplier as it's not compatible with Australian current.

    The current is compatible! It's the voltage that is the problem.

    Theo

  17. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Considering an appropriate Step-down voltage converter will be $49 or more,
    : It'd probably be cheaper to replace the charger with one designed for
    240V.

    Agree

  18. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    : Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Is it not a switching mode power supply that will auto detect the input voltage? A lot of modern
    power supplies are like this (although cheaper ones will not). I think to do what you want will
    require a stepdown transformer. I think that would be quite expensive compared to just buying
    another power supply from somewhere like www.jaycar.com.au All you have to do is find out what the
    output voltage and current you have and match it. One can be had for around $25 with a wide
    selection of plugs to fit.

  19. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    The current is compatible! It's the voltage that is the problem.
    :
    : Theo

    Its a no-brainer. I have much equipment purchased out of the country. See Jaycar or other
    electronics supplier.

    Peter

  20. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "John Doe" wrote

    > Its a no-brainer. I have much equipment purchased out of the
    country. See
    > Jaycar or other electronics supplier.

    Only with equipment that uses modern efficient power supplies. Twenty years ago most stuff was
    series regulated and some of the transformers that were designed to run on 60Hz did not take kindly
    to 50Hz. There's still a lot of gear out there that uses transformers and 50Hz will generate a lot
    more heat in the transformer than 60Hz as well as pass more current. It does require a brain.

    Theo