Vistalite nightstick charger help

: > Its a no-brainer. I have much equipment purchased out of the
: country. See
: > Jaycar or other electronics supplier.
:
: Only with equipment that uses modern efficient power supplies. Twenty years ago most stuff was
: series regulated and some of the transformers that were designed to run on 60Hz did not take
: kindly to 50Hz. There's still a lot of gear out there that uses transformers and 50Hz will
: generate a lot more heat in the transformer than 60Hz as well as pass more current. It does
: require a brain.
:
: Theo
:
:

You are right about the old stuff. It does require more of a brain. But for this guy... I think
as long as he buys a new p/s for his night stick rechargeable batteries then I think he is home
and hosed.

Pete

do not use just an adapter it will fry your b attery pack. The only way to do it is to get a 240 v
converter with the same out put out as the one you received from the states . Eg the input for yours
will be 110 volts ac and the out put will be around 6 volts dc at about 1 amp per hour. just buy a
charger with the same out put as the one on the American charger and Bobs your uncle . Randy "John
news:[email protected]...

On 27 Jul 2003 16:00:08 +0950, benmatt <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the net fron the states, it's
>arrived and of course has a different charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240.
>Where do I stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so it'll fit in the
>power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've no wish to toast it!
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ben

Whereabouts are you located?

If in Melbourne around Northcote or thereabouts I've got three. You can have one of my spares for
for say ... $20 ??

Originally posted by Gemma Kernich
Hi All, Can anyone please tell me what specifications the original charger for the VistaLite
Nightstick Ni-Cad 2000mAH battery has? (In V and mA please - it should say on the charger somewhere
I hope!) I need to get a charger to suit....

Cheers Gemma

The charger you need is Input 240VAC 50HZ OUTPUT 7.2VDC @ 300mA

Hope this helps

Rex

rex1047 wrote:
> Gemma Kernich wrote:
> > Hi All, Can anyone please tell me what specifications the original charger for the VistaLite
> > Nightstick Ni-Cad 2000mAH battery has? (In V and mA please - it should say on the charger
> > somewhere I hope!) I need to get a charger to suit.... Cheers Gemma
>
> The charger you need is Input 240VAC 50HZ OUTPUT 7.2VDC @ 300mA Hope this helps Rex

Gemma, This jaycar plugpack may suit...

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3010 STOCK-CODE: MP3010 RRP: $21.95 Qty 1+ $21.95 Qty
5+ $19.70 Qty 10+ $17.35 Switchable Voltage AC Adaptor 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12V DC 300mA A very
versatile battery eliminator. Switchable output gives 6 different voltages.- Supplied with seven
reversable plugs.-

Al.

I'm being slack and replying to two posts in one here. Please note attributions if you wish to
disagree with anything written!

> rex1047 wrote:
> > The charger you need is Input 240VAC 50HZ OUTPUT 7.2VDC @ 300mA Hope this helps

That's accurate for NiCd, but NiMH needs a higher current - around
600mA. The 300mA will work on the 2200mAH NiMH pack, but it'll take around 12 hours to charge.

Al User <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Gemma, This jaycar plugpack may suit...
>
> http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3010 STOCK-CODE: MP3010 RRP: $21.95

Probably not, since that'll deliver very close to a constant voltage at 7.2v. You really need
constant current for NiMH and NiCd, at least for "dumb" chargers like most plugpack styles. It'd
work pretty well as a charger for SLAs up to around 3Ah though.

If you really want to charge a NiMH or NiCd safely and properly, you need a fairly expensive charger
or the skills to make one yourself. Texas Instruments have some interesting chips, and Remote
Control shops have interesting chargers. Expect a good charger to cost from $60 upwards. **** Smith
used to have a charger kit for around $20 that needed a plugpack to drive it - I can't see it on a
quick look, but the components were pretty basic so it wouldn't be hard to replicate on veroboard.

Dave - who has a few nice chargers for various batteries.

--
Dave Hughes [email protected] "Did you know God had a plan for you?" "Does it involve a
high-powered rifle and a belltower?"