Vistalite nightsticks

Peter Signorini

Guest
Getting ready for the Kona 24 hr ride in December. I've bought a Vistalite Nightstick light set,
with 10W and 5W lights and a NiMh battery. I decided I really will need an extra battery for the
nght laps, but have been quoted $95 for an extra battery.

Can anybody tell me of a source for a cheaper NiMh battery (Nightstick or clone) in Melbourne -
preferably eastern suburbs? I would like to get one for sub $60. Is this possible? TIA

Cheers Peter

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Getting ready for the Kona 24 hr ride in December. I've bought a Vistalite Nightstick light set,
> with 10W and 5W lights and a NiMh battery. I decided
> really will need an extra battery for the nght laps, but have been quoted $95 for an extra
> battery.
>
> Can anybody tell me of a source for a cheaper NiMh battery (Nightstick or clone) in Melbourne -
> preferably eastern suburbs? I would like to get one for sub $60. Is this possible? TIA

Jaycar, Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood sells the batteries you need. NiMH Sub-C cells. I think you need 5
of them (1.2 x 5 = 6V?). I've got a bunch here that I need to make into a pack...if only I could
remember how to solder properly! :-S

hippy

I made my own stick batteries. It cost about $55 for 10 2.9Ah NiMH sub-C cells with solder tags from
Jaycar - enough for two sticks. I used garden irrigation pipe and endcaps to make the stick. I
already had the pipe etc lying around from having installed an irrigation system in my garden, but
they're not expensive items. I also needed a couple of sockets to fit the plugs on the Vistalite
cables. So total cost was around $70 plus a few hours of time.

Nick

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Getting ready for the Kona 24 hr ride in December. I've bought a Vistalite Nightstick light set,
> with 10W and 5W lights and a NiMh battery. I decided
> really will need an extra battery for the nght laps, but have been quoted $95 for an extra
> battery.
>
> Can anybody tell me of a source for a cheaper NiMh battery (Nightstick or clone) in Melbourne -
> preferably eastern suburbs? I would like to get one for sub $60. Is this possible? TIA

Originally posted by Peter Signorini
Getting ready for the Kona 24 hr ride in December. I've bought a Vistalite Nightstick light set,
with 10W and 5W lights and a NiMh battery. I decided I really will need an extra battery for the
nght laps, but have been quoted $95 for an extra battery.

Can anybody tell me of a source for a cheaper NiMh battery (Nightstick or clone) in Melbourne -
preferably eastern suburbs? I would like to get one for sub $60. Is this possible? TIA

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,
If you decide not to go the DIY option, phantom cycles have a $59 battery that will do the job. Its mail order of course but postage is pretty minimal.

Apparently lasts longer than the original nightsticks as well. I bought one but cannot verify this as I am yet to test it out. The only issue is attaching it to the bike because of its irregular shape. If you will be using it for the helmet light (and have a backpack) then there is no issue...
Cheers,
Troy

Hello I am new and just thought I would jump in on this.

I am trying to build my own light system myself. I started with the battery.

I built two 6 volt sticks out of 10 nimh d cells and they are rated at 8500 mah. I think those nightsticks are only rated at 2200 mah meaning my homebuilt stick should last 3 - 4 times longer than a nightstick. It cost me about $40 per stick @ $7.50 per d cell. They work great but still need perfecting.

I can run one at a time for a 6volt system or hook them in series to run a 12 volt system.

Originally posted by c-man2316
I built two 6 volt sticks out of 10 nimh d cells and they are rated at 8500 mah.

It cost me about $40 per stick @ $7.50 per d cell. They work great but still need perfecting.

c-man2316,
Where did you buy D cell NiMh for $7.50 each??
Jacar has then for $19 - 20.
Cheers
Steve

c-man2316,
Where did you buy D cell NiMh for $7.50 each??
Jacar has then for $19 - 20.
Cheers

I am writing from the US, so prices might be a little lower here. I believe JACAR is an Austrailian outfit. Correct me if I am wrong. I got my batteries from an online outfit known as Amondotech. simply www.amondotech.com. They have nexcell nimh d cell batteries rated at 8500 mah for $7.50 USD each.

Carl

"ftf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Hi Peter, If you decide not to go the DIY option, phantom cycles have a
> http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details%20@ID=1465$59 battery that will do the job.
> Its mail order of course but postage is pretty minimal.
>
> Apparently lasts longer than the original nightsticks as well. I bought one but cannot verify this
> as I am yet to test it out. The only issue is attaching it to the bike because of its irregular
> shape. If you will be using it for the helmet light (and have a backpack) then there is no
> issue... Cheers, Troy

Thanks enormously for that, and to all the other suggestions. One Ratpack battery just ordered.

Cheers Peter

"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I made my own stick batteries. It cost about $55 for 10 2.9Ah NiMH sub-C cells with solder tags
> from Jaycar - enough for two sticks. I used garden irrigation pipe and endcaps to make the stick.
> I already had the pipe etc lying around from having installed an irrigation system in my garden,
> but they're not expensive items. I also needed a couple of sockets to fit the plugs on the
> Vistalite cables. So total cost was around $70 plus a few
hours
> of time.

Hi there I have the vistalight hightstick system as well - where can you get the sockets to fit the
nightstick plug? **** smith or tandy possibly?? I have had 2 sets of the nightstick light first one
I tightened the bracket to much and it snapped and I also must have dropped the battery one 2 often
as the end fell of it. Stephen

"Stephen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have the vistalight hightstick system as well - where can you get the sockets to fit the
> nightstick plug?

Jaycar sell them (city or Ringwood if in Melb). Take the battery and lead in so they can match the
socket properly.

> I have had 2 sets of the nightstick light first one I tightened the
bracket
> to much and it snapped and I also must have dropped the battery one 2
often
> as the end fell of it.

Tightened the bracket? Mine are velcro straps.. how did you tighten it so much that the battery
broke? Are you talking about the small socket in the end of the batteries that the lights plug into
(via a cable)?

hippy
- just put a new socket on one of my NightSticks yay!

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Stephen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have the vistalight hightstick system as well - where can you get the sockets to fit the
> > nightstick plug?
>
> Jaycar sell them (city or Ringwood if in Melb). Take the battery and lead in so they can match the
> socket properly.

Thanks for that

> > I have had 2 sets of the nightstick light first one I tightened the
> bracket
> > to much and it snapped and I also must have dropped the battery one 2
> often
> > as the end fell of it.
>
> Tightened the bracket? Mine are velcro straps.. how did you tighten it so much that the battery
> broke? Are you talking about the small socket in the end of the batteries that the lights plug
> into (via a cable)?

On the light not the battery you can snap the mounting if you tighten it too much
> hippy
> - just put a new socket on one of my NightSticks yay!

Is it dangerous to solder on batteries?? as in get them too hot and maybe have them blow up? Stephen

"Stephen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it dangerous to solder on batteries?? as in get them too hot and
maybe
> have them blow up?

If you explain your purpose to one of the staff, they should recommend to you "solder-tab" style
batteries. Unlike normal batts that have one flat end and one end with a raised "bump", the solder
tab style batteries have little strips of metal on both ends. This allows you to easily solder them
together to make battery packs. I actually made one on the weekend and it was easier than I thought
it would be - I can solder, but it has been 5+ years since the last time and I mostly did PCB stuff
- not many wires and batts. If you are doing it properly, the soldering iron should only be touching
the solder tab and it should only contact for a couple of seconds, to rapidly melt the solder and
spread it along the tab.

Tips: Scratch the surface of the tabs so that they are rough and allow the solder to stick better.
"Tin" the tabs. This means take the tabs and 'pre-coat' them with solder. Once you've tinned both
tabs on two batteries, solder the positive tab on one batt to the negative on the other. Repeat,
till all batts are in series. Once set, fold the tabs down against the batt add some connecting
wires and shrink-wrap the whole thing.

hth hippy