Vitamin C and cancer

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Peter Moran, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    You may recall I was writing to Abram Hoffer about the
    study Linus Pauling did on his patients treated with
    vitamin C and other vitamins. It claimed the treated
    patients lived 21 times longer than untreated. I challenged
    Pauling's statistical methods, and wanted reassurance that
    the cancer patients were all equally "in an advanced
    stage", as Pauling claimed.

    Hoffer did reply at length. He did not, however, offer to
    supply any further information about the subjects. He is
    basically standing by Pauling's work. He has recently
    published a further book on Vitamin C and cancer which
    presumably still makes such claims. He has also not
    responded to a more pressing second request for the data.

    He says his "charts were very complete and contained data
    from the cancer clinic, from the referring physicians and
    from my own follow up notes". Also: "In my more recent book
    Vitamin C and Cancer, Quarry Press I re examined the
    patients he had used in his calculations and it turns out
    that his predictions were very close to the actual
    outcome.,"

    The data, then, is available, but he will not release it. I
    think we are entitled to draw our own conclusions.

    The correspondence is lengthy. I will eventually put it on a
    web site, but anyone who wishes to see it can email me
    privately.

    Peter Moran

    Tags:

  2. Species

    Species Guest

    I know a person who had cancer. They took megadoses of
    vitamin c. When they went to have the tumours removed,
    they'd gone missing.

  3. Kim

    Kim Guest

    "Species" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know a person who had cancer. They took megadoses of
    > vitamin c. When
    they went
    > to have the tumours removed, they'd gone missing.
    ======================
    So you claim massive doses of vitamin C cures cancer? When
    was this discovered? Can you elaborate?
    --
    Kim Please note, I don't wish to get involved in any
    personal conflicts between the posters here. I'm simply

  4. Hcn

    Hcn Guest

    "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Species" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I know a person who had cancer. They took megadoses of
    > > vitamin c. When
    > they went
    > > to have the tumours removed, they'd gone missing.
    > ======================
    > So you claim massive doses of vitamin C cures cancer? When
    > was this discovered? Can you elaborate?
    > --

    Also something that remarkable would have a Medline abstract
    for the case study. A check at
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/ using the seach terms
    "megadose vitamin tumor or tumour" pulled up one page of
    results, none of them related to the previous anecdote.

  5. Kim

    Kim Guest

    "HCN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > Also something that remarkable would have a Medline
    > abstract for the case study. A check at
    > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/ using the seach
    terms
    > "megadose vitamin tumor or tumour" pulled up one page of
    > results, none of them related to the previous anecdote.
    Thank you. I do remember when everyone was mega-dosing with
    Vitamin C in the belief it prevented colds and shortened the
    time it took to recover from a cold. That seems to have
    fallen by the wayside along with magnetized bracelets and
    magnetic mattresses. Both popular in my area some years ago.