Vitamin D deficiency?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael Rawlins, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Hi Group,

    Newbie checking in regarding some accumulating symptoms that
    I've been told might be vitamin D deficiency. I have an
    appointment with MD tomorrow morning.

    Started few weeks ago with eyelid twitch. Heart palpitations
    came on, last few days they're fairly pronounced. I have dry
    funny taste in my mouth. Calves and other muscles starting
    to twitch a bit too, especially after walking around. The
    lower part of my legs feel like they're vibrating. My
    resting heart rate and BP are lowest in summer, and highest
    now. This annual cycle is in it's third year.

    Not much milk in my diet, maybe 6 oz a day of 2%.
    Salmon 2x/week. Calcium/magensium/zinc supplement
    (1000mg/400mg/30mg) or might be(400mg/1000mg/30mg,
    can't recall).

    I'm off to get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning booth
    per recommendation of friend that is part of UV/ Vit D
    study. I live at 40 degrees N (NH), moved here 3 years ago
    (grew up in Delaware) and have seen no significant UV
    exposure for several months.

    Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says tomorrow
    and following blood work.

    Comments are greatly appreciated.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > Newbie checking in regarding some accumulating symptoms
    > that I've been told might be vitamin D deficiency. I have
    > an appointment with MD tomorrow morning.
    >
    > Started few weeks ago with eyelid twitch. Heart
    > palpitations came on, last few days they're fairly
    > pronounced. I have dry funny taste in my mouth. Calves and
    > other muscles starting to twitch a bit too, especially
    > after walking around. The lower part of my legs feel like
    > they're vibrating. My resting heart rate and BP are lowest
    > in summer, and highest now. This annual cycle is in it's
    > third year.
    >
    > Not much milk in my diet, maybe 6 oz a day of 2%. Salmon
    > 2x/week. Calcium/magensium/zinc supplement
    > (1000mg/400mg/30mg) or might be(400mg/1000mg/30mg, can't
    > recall).

    It is the former not the latter.

    > I'm off to get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning
    > booth per recommendation of friend that is part of UV/ Vit
    > D study. I live at 40 degrees N (NH), moved here 3 years
    > ago (grew up in Delaware) and have seen no significant UV
    > exposure for several months.
    >
    > Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says
    > tomorrow and following blood work.

    It not in your head. If the Doc says that he doesn't know
    and can't admit it to you or himself, IMHO.

    What meds are you on?

  3. "William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Group,
    > >
    > > Newbie checking in regarding some accumulating symptoms
    > > that I've been told might be vitamin D deficiency. I
    > > have an appointment with MD tomorrow morning.
    > >
    > > Started few weeks ago with eyelid twitch. Heart
    > > palpitations came on, last few days they're fairly
    > > pronounced. I have dry funny taste in my mouth. Calves
    > > and other muscles starting to twitch a bit too,
    > > especially after walking around. The lower part of my
    > > legs feel like they're vibrating. My resting heart rate
    > > and BP are lowest in summer, and highest now. This
    > > annual cycle is in it's third year.
    > >
    > > Not much milk in my diet, maybe 6 oz a day of 2%. Salmon
    > > 2x/week. Calcium/magensium/zinc supplement
    > > (1000mg/400mg/30mg) or might be(400mg/1000mg/30mg, can't
    > > recall).
    >
    > It is the former not the latter.
    >

    > > I'm off to get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning
    > > booth per recommendation of friend that is part of UV/
    > > Vit D study. I live at 40 degrees N (NH), moved here 3
    > > years ago (grew up in Delaware) and have seen no
    > > significant UV exposure for several months.
    > >
    > > Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says
    > > tomorrow and following blood work.
    >
    > It not in your head. If the Doc says that he doesn't know
    > and can't admit it to you or himself, IMHO.
    >
    > What meds are you on?

    Hi William,

    Lisinopril 20mg/day.

    Doc says it sounds like nerves. Well yea..my CNS is freaking
    out. Had blood draw for Ca, Magnesium, 25 OH Vitamin D, BUN,
    creatinine (sp?).

    Past 2 days I've gone to tanning booth, 9min and 7min. Not
    alot for my darker colored skin. Nonetheless, palpitations
    are gone, sleep improved. So those are the symptoms I've
    seen are related to D deficiency. I live in NH. I see a
    study recently was published saying UV in Boston in winter
    is insuffucent in maintaining vit D levels, and I'm not
    outside alot in winter (that will change). I also looked at
    my typical calcium intake. Haven't been getting the RDA
    based on 2000cal diet. My diet is closer to 3000cals given
    activity/exercise level. Vitamin D is needed for calcium
    absorption, from what I've seen. So the null hypothesis is
    these symptoms that are similar to tetany might be low
    calcium. We'll see. I do see improvement, twitching in
    eyelid much reduced, but the ones in calf (and occasionally
    other muscles) are still hanging in there.

    I'm headed to Delaware for a few weeks to visit family.
    Hope some time outdoors there will make a difference. But
    reading that MS suffers have increasing syptoms in winter
    has me in twitches (pun inteded). Guess that's a rare thing
    in men 40...?

    Cheers, Mike

  4. Gt

    Gt Guest

    Do you drink diet soda? Some of your symptoms sound like
    possible aspartame poisoning. Also, do you drink tap water
    that has been fluoridated? Fluoride goes through filters,
    the water should be RO or distilled.

    My health became much better after getting off that garbage!

    Another possibility might be excessive mercury from the
    seafood, or from dental work. I also had muscle twitching
    from dental mercury.

    GT

    "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi Group,
    > > >
    > > > Newbie checking in regarding some accumulating
    > > > symptoms that
    I've been
    > > > told might be vitamin D deficiency. I have an
    > > > appointment with
    MD
    > > > tomorrow morning.
    > > >
    > > > Started few weeks ago with eyelid twitch. Heart
    > > > palpitations
    came on,
    > > > last few days they're fairly pronounced. I have dry
    > > > funny taste
    in my
    > > > mouth. Calves and other muscles starting to twitch a
    > > > bit too, especially after walking around. The lower
    > > > part of my legs feel
    like
    > > > they're vibrating. My resting heart rate and BP are
    > > > lowest in
    summer,
    > > > and highest now. This annual cycle is in it's third
    > > > year.
    > > >
    > > > Not much milk in my diet, maybe 6 oz a day of 2%.
    > > > Salmon
    2x/week.
    > > > Calcium/magensium/zinc supplement (1000mg/400mg/30mg)
    > > > or might be(400mg/1000mg/30mg, can't recall).
    > >
    > > It is the former not the latter.
    > >

    > > > I'm off to get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning
    > > > booth per recommendation of friend that is part of UV/
    > > > Vit D study. I
    live at
    > > > 40 degrees N (NH), moved here 3 years ago (grew up in
    > > > Delaware)
    and
    > > > have seen no significant UV exposure for several
    > > > months.
    > > >
    > > > Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says
    > > > tomorrow
    and
    > > > following blood work.
    > >
    > > It not in your head. If the Doc says that he doesn't
    > > know and
    can't
    > > admit it to you or himself, IMHO.
    > >
    > > What meds are you on?
    > >

    > Hi William,
    >
    > Lisinopril 20mg/day.
    >
    > Doc says it sounds like nerves. Well yea..my CNS is
    > freaking out.
    Had
    > blood draw for Ca, Magnesium, 25 OH Vitamin D, BUN,
    > creatinine
    (sp?).

    > Past 2 days I've gone to tanning booth, 9min and 7min. Not
    > alot for my darker colored skin. Nonetheless, palpitations
    > are gone, sleep improved. So those are the symptoms I've
    > seen are related to D deficiency. I live in NH. I see a
    > study recently was published
    saying
    > UV in Boston in winter is insuffucent in maintaining vit
    > D levels,
    and
    > I'm not outside alot in winter (that will change). I also
    > looked at
    my
    > typical calcium intake. Haven't been getting the RDA
    > based on
    2000cal
    > diet. My diet is closer to 3000cals given
    > activity/exercise level. Vitamin D is needed for calcium
    > absorption, from what I've seen. So the null hypothesis is
    > these symptoms that are similar to tetany
    might
    > be low calcium. We'll see. I do see improvement,
    > twitching in
    eyelid
    > much reduced, but the ones in calf (and occasionally other
    > muscles) are still hanging in there.
    >
    > I'm headed to Delaware for a few weeks to visit family.
    > Hope some time outdoors there will make a difference. But
    > reading that MS suffers have increasing syptoms in winter
    > has me in twitches (pun inteded). Guess that's a rare
    > thing in men 40...?
    >
    > Cheers, Mike

  5. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    Get off the calcium supplements and increase your
    magnesium levels.

    You pH levels are probably way to acidic. Increase fresh
    veggie and fuit intake and lower meats. Stay away from any
    green fruit, coffee, tea, soda pop. Try fresh lemon squeezed
    into water for an acid lowering drink. Sodium and potassium
    bicarbonate supplements at 10 and 4 can help dramatically.

    "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > Newbie checking in regarding some accumulating symptoms
    > that I've been told might be vitamin D deficiency. I have
    > an appointment with MD tomorrow morning.
    >
    > Started few weeks ago with eyelid twitch. Heart
    > palpitations came on, last few days they're fairly
    > pronounced. I have dry funny taste in my mouth. Calves and
    > other muscles starting to twitch a bit too, especially
    > after walking around. The lower part of my legs feel like
    > they're vibrating. My resting heart rate and BP are lowest
    > in summer, and highest now. This annual cycle is in it's
    > third year.
    >
    > Not much milk in my diet, maybe 6 oz a day of 2%. Salmon
    > 2x/week. Calcium/magensium/zinc supplement
    > (1000mg/400mg/30mg) or might be(400mg/1000mg/30mg, can't
    > recall).
    >
    > I'm off to get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning
    > booth per recommendation of friend that is part of UV/ Vit
    > D study. I live at 40 degrees N (NH), moved here 3 years
    > ago (grew up in Delaware) and have seen no significant UV
    > exposure for several months.
    >
    > Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says
    > tomorrow and following blood work.
    >
    > Comments are greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Mike

  6. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    Tanning is like meditation and lowers your stress levels.

> [...]
    > study recently was published saying UV in Boston in winter
    > is insuffucent in maintaining vit D levels, and I'm not
    > outside alot in winter (that will change). I also looked
    > at my typical calcium intake. Haven't been getting the RDA
    > based on 2000cal diet. My diet is closer to 3000cals given
    > activity/exercise level. Vitamin D is needed for calcium
    > absorption, from what I've seen. So the null hypothesis is
    > these symptoms that are similar to tetany might be low
    > calcium. We'll see. I do see improvement, twitching in
    > eyelid much reduced, but the ones in calf (and
    > occasionally other muscles) are still hanging in there.
    >
    > I'm headed to Delaware for a few weeks to visit family.
    > Hope some time outdoors there will make a difference. But
    > reading that MS suffers have increasing syptoms in winter
    > has me in twitches (pun inteded). Guess that's a rare

  7. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    Where did the mercury go?

    "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news-
    :eek:bS4c.19843$%[email protected]
> [...]
    > > also looked at
    > my
    > > typical calcium intake. Haven't been getting the RDA
    > > based on
    > 2000cal
    > > diet. My diet is closer to 3000cals given
    > > activity/exercise level. Vitamin D is needed for calcium
    > > absorption, from what I've seen. So the null hypothesis
    > > is these symptoms that are similar to tetany
    > might
    > > be low calcium. We'll see. I do see improvement,
    > > twitching in
    > eyelid
    > > much reduced, but the ones in calf (and occasionally
    > > other muscles) are still hanging in there.
    > >
    > > I'm headed to Delaware for a few weeks to visit family.
    > > Hope some time outdoors there will make a difference.
    > > But reading that MS suffers have increasing syptoms in
    > > winter has me in twitches (pun inteded). Guess that's a

  8. Gt

    Gt Guest

    Conventional dental fillings (Amalgam, 50% mercury) is acted
    upon by oral bacteria and food acids/alkalies and converted
    in tiny amounts to methyl mercury, among other things. This
    is ingested and circulates around the body. It is a potent
    neurotoxin, one of the symptoms being that of muscle
    twitching.

    As a part of my get well program, I had the dental
    mercury removed.

    GT

    "Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Where did the mercury go?
    >
    > "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:bS4c.19843$%[email protected]
    > k.net...
    > > Do you drink diet soda? Some of your symptoms sound like
    > > possible aspartame poisoning. Also, do you drink tap
    > > water that has been fluoridated? Fluoride goes through
    > > filters, the water should be RO or distilled.
    > >
    > > My health became much better after getting off that
    > > garbage!
    > >
    > > Another possibility might be excessive mercury from the
    > > seafood,
    or
    > > from dental work. I also had muscle twitching from
    > > dental mercury.
    > >
    > > GT
    > >

    > > "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > I've been
    with
    > > MD

    > > came on,
    taste
    > > in my
    too,
    feel
    > > like
    in
    > > summer,

    > > 2x/week.
    might

    per
    > > live at
    Delaware)
    > > and

    tomorrow
    > > and

    > > can't

    > > > Hi William,
    > > >
    > > > Lisinopril 20mg/day.
    > > >
    > > > Doc says it sounds like nerves. Well yea..my CNS is
    > > > freaking
    out.
    > > Had
    > > > blood draw for Ca, Magnesium, 25 OH Vitamin D, BUN,
    > > > creatinine
    > > (sp?).
    > > >
    > > > Past 2 days I've gone to tanning booth, 9min and 7min.
    > > > Not alot
    for
    > > > my darker colored skin. Nonetheless, palpitations are
    > > > gone,
    sleep
    > > > improved. So those are the symptoms I've seen are
    > > > related to D deficiency. I live in NH. I see a study
    > > > recently was published
    > > saying
    > > > UV in Boston in winter is insuffucent in maintaining
    > > > vit D
    levels,
    > > and
    > > > I'm not outside alot in winter (that will change). I
    > > > also looked
    at
    > > my
    > > > typical calcium intake. Haven't been getting the RDA
    > > > based on
    > > 2000cal
    > > > diet. My diet is closer to 3000cals given
    > > > activity/exercise
    level.
    > > > Vitamin D is needed for calcium absorption, from what
    > > > I've seen.
    So
    > > > the null hypothesis is these symptoms that are similar
    > > > to tetany
    > > might
    > > > be low calcium. We'll see. I do see improvement,
    > > > twitching in
    > > eyelid
    > > > much reduced, but the ones in calf (and occasionally
    > > > other
    muscles)
    > > > are still hanging in there.
    > > >
    > > > I'm headed to Delaware for a few weeks to visit
    > > > family. Hope
    some
    > > > time outdoors there will make a difference. But
    > > > reading that MS suffers have increasing syptoms in
    > > > winter has me in twitches
    (pun
    > > > inteded). Guess that's a rare thing in men 40...?
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, Mike

  9. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    I repeat. Where did the mercury in your body go? It doesn't
    disappear by itself.

    "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news-
    :UwS4c.19859$%[email protected]
    > Conventional dental fillings (Amalgam, 50% mercury) is
    > acted upon by oral bacteria and food acids/alkalies and
    > converted in tiny amounts to methyl mercury, among other
    > things. This is ingested and circulates around the body.
    > It is a potent neurotoxin, one of the symptoms being that
    > of muscle twitching.
    >
    > As a part of my get well program, I had the dental mercury
    > removed.
    >
    > GT
    >
    > "Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:97-
    > [email protected]
    > > Where did the mercury go?
    > >
    > > "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:eek:bS4c.19843$%[email protected]
    > > .net...
    > > > Do you drink diet soda? Some of your symptoms sound
    > > > like possible aspartame poisoning. Also, do you drink
    > > > tap water that has been fluoridated? Fluoride goes
    > > > through filters, the water should be RO or distilled.
    > > >
    > > > My health became much better after getting off that
    > > > garbage!
    > > >
    > > > Another possibility might be excessive mercury from
    > > > the seafood,
    > or
    > > > from dental work. I also had muscle twitching from
    > > > dental mercury.
    > > >
    > > > GT
    > > >

    > > > "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message news:[email protected]
    > > > gle.com...
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > I've been
    > with
    > > > MD

    > palpitations
    > > > came on,
    > taste
    > > > in my
    > too,
    > feel
    > > > like
    > in
    > > > summer,

    > > > 2x/week.
    > might

    > per
    > > > live at
    > Delaware)
    > > > and

    > tomorrow
    > > > and

    > > > can't

    > out.
    > > > Had
    > > > (sp?).

    > for
    > sleep
    > > > saying
    > levels,
    > > > and
    > at
    > > > my
    > > > 2000cal
    > level.
    > So
    > > > might
    > > > eyelid
    > muscles)

    > some
    > (pun

  10. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once
    upon a time, our fellow Pizza Girl rambled on about "Re:
    Vitamin D deficiency?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in
    sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >Tanning is like meditation and lowers your stress levels.

    I thought that tanning was similar to a brain being
    fried like an egg on a concrete sidewalk in NYC during a
    heat spell?

    Or, maybe like what happens to your brain after reading too
    many of Pizza Girls posts?

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

  11. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once
    upon a time, our fellow Pizza Girl rambled on about "Re:
    Vitamin D deficiency?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in
    sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >I repeat. Where did the mercury in your body go? It doesn't
    >disappear by itself.

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    Care to prove that statement?

  12. "GT" <no-sp-am-tdll[email protected]> wrote in message news:<obS4c.19843$%[email protected]>...
    > Do you drink diet soda? Some of your symptoms sound like
    > possible aspartame poisoning. Also, do you drink tap water
    > that has been fluoridated? Fluoride goes through filters,
    > the water should be RO or distilled.
    >
    > My health became much better after getting off that
    > garbage!
    >
    > Another possibility might be excessive mercury from the
    > seafood, or from dental work. I also had muscle twitching
    > from dental mercury.
    >
    > GT

    First, thanks to everyone for the replies.

    No diet soda, and very little H2O from the tap. Yes, florine
    is added in my town.

    Blood test for Ca, Mg, TSH, and kidney function came back
    normal. Still awaiting Vitamin D. A most important aspect of
    my maladay is the fact that I have felt this way the past
    three years (albeit to a lesser degree), right around the
    end of February. BP has a significant annual cycle (high in
    Feb, low in Aug) as well, but could be unrelated to present
    situation. Past 2 yrs was just insomnia, palpitations, and
    eyelid twitch. This year my calves have also twitched, feels
    like my lower legs are buzzing. Per advice of a MD at NIH
    (suspects low Vit D), I have gone to a tanning booth 3 of
    past 4 days and added Vit D and calcium supplement.
    Palpitations have almost disappeared, resting HR has come
    down, and twitches decreased, but still have some (eyelid
    and calves), along with this feeling that my lower legs are
    buzzing. All in all, it really feels like some significant
    CNS stress.

    Being a research scientist, it's my nature to be very
    analytical in a quest for an answer, rather than just say
    "help doc". I just traveled out of town for two weeks, so
    won't see him for 2 weeks. Looking back at my activities the
    past several weeks, I see that I was doing about 40-60
    min/day, 4-5 days/week of cardio, moderate amount of
    sweating, and drinking more than 1/2 gallon of water each
    day, and I haven't used table salt on food in 3 years. I eat
    all whole foods, very little processed stuff, and rarely eat
    out in restaurants. Based on my caloric needs, I was getting
    nowhere near RDA, unless I'm getting sodium from some source
    for which I can't account.

    Do my symptoms sound like low electrolytes? In summer, I
    have gotten the muscle twitches, and an ocassional charlie
    horse when drinking straight water. Yea, I know...
    Gatorade is a good thing. If it is low sodium/potassium,
    how long would it take to see significant improvement. One
    day, several days? I guess next step might be to look at
    adrenal function.

    Oh, yea, I have a mouthful of murcury fillings. Wonder if
    added stress of seasonal low sun, winter blahs (I live in
    NH), and something related to murcury could have added up.
    The involvement of my nervous systems has me, um,
    nervous....

    Cheers, Mike

  13. Gt

    Gt Guest

    Have you had a gold crown or inlay placed within the last 3
    years? Or any metals other than the mercury/silver typical
    of conventional fillings, such as a bridge?

    If so, a small electric potential will occur between that
    and the fillings. This will cause a small current to be
    produced, which accelerates the leaching out of mercury.
    Many dentists have the capability to measure the potential
    and tell you if there is any problem. Be sure to find a
    dentist that doesn't scoff at the toxicity problem of
    mercury. I had a variety of potentials between the 11
    fillings and the gold inlay in my case.

    If you believe you have mercury toxicity, you need to get in
    contact with a nutritionally oriented doctor/nutritionist to
    start on a program to remove the mercury. It can be done,
    but it is slow. Sometimes hair testing can reveal heavy
    metals, but I don't always trust the results.

    GT

    "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<obS4c.19843$%[email protected]
    nk.net>...
    > > Do you drink diet soda? Some of your symptoms sound like
    > > possible aspartame poisoning. Also, do you drink tap
    > > water that has been fluoridated? Fluoride goes through
    > > filters, the water should be RO or distilled.
    > >
    > > My health became much better after getting off that
    > > garbage!
    > >
    > > Another possibility might be excessive mercury from the
    > > seafood,
    or
    > > from dental work. I also had muscle twitching from
    > > dental mercury.
    > >
    > > GT
    >
    > First, thanks to everyone for the replies.
    >
    > No diet soda, and very little H2O from the tap. Yes,
    > florine is
    added
    > in my town.
    >
    > Blood test for Ca, Mg, TSH, and kidney function came back
    > normal. Still awaiting Vitamin D. A most important aspect
    > of my maladay is the fact that I have felt this way the
    > past three years (albeit to a lesser degree), right around
    > the end of February. BP has a significant annual cycle
    > (high in Feb, low in Aug) as well, but
    could
    > be unrelated to present situation. Past 2 yrs was just
    > insomnia, palpitations, and eyelid twitch. This year my
    > calves have also twitched, feels like my lower legs are
    > buzzing. Per advice of a MD
    at
    > NIH (suspects low Vit D), I have gone to a tanning booth 3
    > of past 4 days and added Vit D and calcium supplement.
    > Palpitations have
    almost
    > disappeared, resting HR has come down, and twitches
    > decreased, but still have some (eyelid and calves), along
    > with this feeling that my lower legs are buzzing. All in
    > all, it really feels like some significant CNS stress.
    >
    > Being a research scientist, it's my nature to be very
    > analytical in
    > quest for an answer, rather than just say "help
    > doc". I just
    traveled
    > out of town for two weeks, so won't see him for 2
    > weeks. Looking
    back
    > at my activities the past several weeks, I see that I
    > was doing
    about
    > 40-60 min/day, 4-5 days/week of cardio, moderate amount of
    > sweating, and drinking more than 1/2 gallon of water each
    > day, and I haven't used table salt on food in 3 years. I
    > eat all whole foods, very
    little
    > processed stuff, and rarely eat out in restaurants. Based
    > on my caloric needs, I was getting nowhere near RDA,
    > unless I'm getting sodium from some source for which I
    > can't account.
    >
    > Do my symptoms sound like low electrolytes? In
    > summer, I have
    gotten
    > the muscle twitches, and an ocassional charlie horse when
    > drinking straight water. Yea, I know... Gatorade is a good
    > thing. If it is
    low
    > sodium/potassium, how long would it take to see
    > significant improvement. One day, several days? I guess
    > next step might be to look at adrenal function.
    >
    > Oh, yea, I have a mouthful of murcury fillings. Wonder if
    > added stress of seasonal low sun, winter blahs (I live in
    > NH), and
    something
    > related to murcury could have added up. The
    > involvement of my
    nervous
    > systems has me, um, nervous....
    >
    > Cheers, Mike

  14. Defpal

    Defpal Guest

    HiYa I m going to just buck shot in my 2cent: That seems
    like a lot of Mercury being created I don't remember it
    being that high of a level and few people have a problam
    with it. (Margin of error) You can request the pricier stuff
    (SILVER) for a filling Or PURE Gold is best but $$$.

    I read that Salmon and I it is FARM raised Salmon has found
    to have a-few of the toxic stuff absorbed from the water
    that they are raised
    in.(MERC) So Wild Salmon was better??? and don't eat Salmon
    that is farm raised more than once a week... and of
    course Pregnant women once a month or Not at all. Care
    for a smoke.

    I would stay away from the Tanning Salon unless you have a
    dark complexion already (OLIVE)Many reasons for this... I
    would stay with the VITAMINS but take a whole regimen of
    them also then switch to Light Therapy like about 10,000
    Lumins = a Spring morning but it varies I suppose?. This
    helps with the light you lost from Spring/Summer although
    it is now heading towards spring. Do you smoke It sounds
    also like perhaps a circulation problem come to think of
    it! Try to get on a bike or do some kinds of vigorous
    workout.... its goo for ya any way eh

    . Not alot> for> > > > > my darker colored skin.
    Nonetheless, palpitations are gone,> sleep> > > > >
    improved.

    It takes very little sun to process Vit D in your bod,
    walking around a little one day would suffice for a
    week. It not wise to take a lot of D either and Omega
    oils are all the rage eh. You don't have to eat the
    Salmon then though.

    Have you had an accident or changed drasticly what you had
    been doing??? I have been wondering if I haven't been
    zapped by something dreadful and I only have a matter of
    time but lets face it, the medical proffesion sometimes can
    be frustrating <grin> And if you are in the RI area I just
    ran into this site as I was surfin I think it may be a
    caino? RI based groove/mood Band www.beyondtherapyband.com

    Paul

  15. "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Have you had a gold crown or inlay placed within the last
    > 3 years? Or any metals other than the mercury/silver
    > typical of conventional fillings, such as a bridge?

    I had a filling put in about a year ago. It is lighter color
    silver, not dark like the old ones. Now this is getting
    scary. I'm being poisoned to death? Twitching eyelid and
    calves are a certainity. Had them past few years this time
    of year. Now it's worse than ever.

    It could definitely be mercury, because I get bloating
    and gassy at times. Is this usually reversible to a
    large degree? Geuss I might have permenant neurological
    damage? Due to getting a filling last year for the first
    time in 25 years?

    I'd hoped it was low soduim, because the symptoms I have a
    similar to the one for that malady, and I know I was eating
    very little sodium while consuming alot of water for
    several weeks. Had all the nerve symptoms, tingling,
    sensations, twitches. Twitching eleylid and calves still
    there, but kinda shaky tonight too. Have to get to someone
    right away tomorrow.

    Mercury and or low sodium. Quite the combination. The
    neurological effects have not been gradual, really came on
    strong past couple weeks. Hope the suddenness doesn't
    portend bad things.

    If I lick some salt, and have to urinate pretty good a
    minute later, doesn't that have something to do with low
    sodium levels, if I recall?

    Many thanks.

    Mike

> [...]
    > > Based on my caloric needs, I was getting nowhere near
    > > RDA, unless I'm getting sodium from some source for
    > > which I can't account.
    > >
    > > Do my symptoms sound like low electrolytes? In summer,
    > > I have
    > gotten
    > > the muscle twitches, and an ocassional charlie horse
    > > when drinking straight water. Yea, I know... Gatorade is
    > > a good thing. If it is
    > low
    > > sodium/potassium, how long would it take to see
    > > significant improvement. One day, several days? I guess
    > > next step might be to look at adrenal function.
    > >
    > > Oh, yea, I have a mouthful of murcury fillings. Wonder
    > > if added stress of seasonal low sun, winter blahs (I
    > > live in NH), and
    > something
    > > related to murcury could have added up. The

  16. Gt

    Gt Guest

    I'm happy that you're a scientist - you will
    understand this.

    The fillings placed are typically 50% mercury, and the rest
    a combination of silver, zinc, sometimes copper. Depending
    upon the relative amounts, the average work function of the
    metals will be different and there will be a different
    potential created in the electrolyte of the mouth. This
    gives rise to the current between fillings, hence a leaching
    of mercury and/or the other metals as a direct function of
    the amount of current. Just like a typical carbon/zinc cell.
    Look at the mouth tissue that touches the teeth - i had a
    nicely defined row of white wherever the teeth touched the
    cheek. After removal, that slowly went away and it is
    healthy tissue now. I think the white was caused by the
    current flow.

    The fact that your filling is a different color would
    indicate that it has a different combination of metals in
    the base, perhaps less mercury. But most likely a very
    different potential.

    I had twitching eyelids, twitching muscle under the eyes,
    twitching shoulder and calve muscle. Also tinnitus (ringing
    in the ears) and psoriasis. About a month after amalgam
    removal, the psoriasis disappeared - but it came back to
    some extent later. The twitching gradually diminished and
    was gone 6 months later. Tinnitus has greatly subsided.

    Not to panic, I found out about herbs which accelerate the
    removal of mercury in the soft tissues only recently. The
    best one is cilantro, which you can get raw at the
    supermarket for a low price. It is also quite tasty in
    salads. Chlorella is also useful, but I haven't found a good
    source for it yet.

    I would suggest that you get into your favorite search
    engine and start studying about mercury and heavy metal
    toxicity. I found these sites by doing a search on "mercury
    cilantro chelation":

    http://www.kitchendoctor.com/articles/cilantro.html
    http://www.adhdezine.com/Mar01.html http://www.spiritofheal-
    ing.com/articles/html/mercury_detox_amalgam_fillings.htm
    http://www.beatcfsandfms.org/html/HgDetox.html

    The ADA is not going to do anything about the toxicity
    problem of these fillings. After all, they are the only
    fillings insurance companies will support. Nevertheless,
    mercury must be stored in locked cabinets in industry and
    schools - but it is safe in the mouth? That really irritates
    me. It would be a monstrous class action suit against the
    ADA if everyone got together. Imagine - 200 million people
    with an average of 5 fillings...

    I wish you the best in this endeavor. Mercury might not be
    the problem in your case, but it is certainly worth
    investigating.

    GT

    "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<%[email protected]
    nk.net>...
    > > Have you had a gold crown or inlay placed within the
    > > last 3 years? Or any metals other than the
    > > mercury/silver typical of
    conventional
    > > fillings, such as a bridge?
    >
    > I had a filling put in about a year ago. It is lighter
    > color silver, not dark like the old ones. Now this is
    > getting scary. I'm being poisoned to death? Twitching
    > eyelid and calves are a certainity.
    Had
    > them past few years this time of year. Now it's worse
    > than ever.
    >
    > It could definitely be mercury, because I get bloating and
    > gassy at times. Is this usually reversible to a large
    > degree? Geuss I might have permenant neurological damage?
    > Due to getting a filling last year for the first time in
    > 25 years?
    >
    > I'd hoped it was low soduim, because the symptoms I have
    > a similar
    > the one for that malady, and I know I was eating very
    > little sodium while consuming alot of water for several
    > weeks. Had all the nerve symptoms, tingling, sensations,
    > twitches. Twitching eleylid and
    calves
    > still there, but kinda shaky tonight too. Have to get to
    > someone right away tomorrow.
    >
    > Mercury and or low sodium. Quite the combination. The
    > neurological effects have not been gradual, really came on
    > strong past couple weeks. Hope the suddenness doesn't
    > portend bad things.
    >
    > If I lick some salt, and have to urinate pretty good a
    > minute later, doesn't that have something to do with low
    > sodium levels, if I
    recall?

    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > > If so, a small electric potential will occur between
    > > that and the fillings. This will cause a small current
    > > to be produced, which accelerates the leaching out of
    > > mercury. Many dentists have the capability to measure
    > > the potential and tell you if there is any problem. Be
    > > sure to find a dentist that doesn't scoff at the
    toxicity
    > > problem of mercury. I had a variety of potentials
    > > between the 11 fillings and the gold inlay in my case.
    > >
    > > If you believe you have mercury toxicity, you need to
    > > get in
    contact
    > > with a nutritionally oriented doctor/nutritionist to
    > > start on a program to remove the mercury. It can be
    > > done, but it is slow. Sometimes hair testing can reveal
    > > heavy metals, but I don't always trust the results.
    > >
    > > GT
    > >
    > > "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<obS4c.19843$%[email protected]
    > > nk.net>...
    possible
    Fluoride

    seafood,
    > > or

    > > > First, thanks to everyone for the replies.
    > > >
    > > > No diet soda, and very little H2O from the tap. Yes,
    > > > florine is
    > > added
    > > > in my town.
    > > >
    > > > Blood test for Ca, Mg, TSH, and kidney function came
    > > > back
    normal.
    > > > Still awaiting Vitamin D. A most important aspect of
    > > > my maladay
    is
    > > > the fact that I have felt this way the past three
    > > > years (albeit
    to a
    > > > lesser degree), right around the end of February. BP
    > > > has a significant annual cycle (high in Feb, low in
    > > > Aug) as well, but
    > > could
    > > > be unrelated to present situation. Past 2 yrs was just
    > > > insomnia, palpitations, and eyelid twitch. This year
    > > > my calves have also twitched, feels like my lower legs
    > > > are buzzing. Per advice of a
    MD
    > > at
    > > > NIH (suspects low Vit D), I have gone to a tanning
    > > > booth 3 of
    past 4
    > > > days and added Vit D and calcium supplement.
    > > > Palpitations have
    > > almost
    > > > disappeared, resting HR has come down, and twitches
    > > > decreased,
    but
    > > > still have some (eyelid and calves), along with this
    > > > feeling
    that my
    > > > lower legs are buzzing. All in all, it really feels
    > > > like some significant CNS stress.
    > > >
    > > > Being a research scientist, it's my nature to be very
    > > > analytical
    in
    > > > quest for an answer, rather than just say "help doc".
    > > > I just
    > > traveled
    > > > out of town for two weeks, so won't see him for 2
    > > > weeks. Looking
    > > back
    > > > at my activities the past several weeks, I see that I
    > > > was doing
    > > about
    > > > 40-60 min/day, 4-5 days/week of cardio, moderate
    > > > amount of
    sweating,
    > > > and drinking more than 1/2 gallon of water each day,
    > > > and I
    haven't
    > > > used table salt on food in 3 years. I eat all whole
    > > > foods, very
    > > little
    > > > processed stuff, and rarely eat out in restaurants.
    > > > Based on my caloric needs, I was getting nowhere near
    > > > RDA, unless I'm
    getting
    > > > sodium from some source for which I can't account.
    > > >
    > > > Do my symptoms sound like low electrolytes? In summer,
    > > > I have
    > > gotten
    > > > the muscle twitches, and an ocassional charlie horse
    > > > when
    drinking
    > > > straight water. Yea, I know... Gatorade is a good
    > > > thing. If it
    is
    > > low
    > > > sodium/potassium, how long would it take to see
    > > > significant improvement. One day, several days? I
    > > > guess next step might be
    > > > look at adrenal function.
    > > >
    > > > Oh, yea, I have a mouthful of murcury fillings. Wonder
    > > > if added stress of seasonal low sun, winter blahs (I
    > > > live in NH), and
    > > something
    > > > related to murcury could have added up. The
    > > > involvement of my
    > > nervous
    > > > systems has me, um, nervous....
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, Mike

  17. "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Ieb5c.21842$%[email protected]>...

    I did some searching yesterday. Yea, I have the white tissue
    near the teeth. Some tinnitus, though playing in a rock band
    over the years probably caused some of that. But this issue
    seems like it is so far from cut and dried it would be tough
    to spend many thousands to seek a cure, since I don't have
    the thousands to try. What if there's a potential, and it's
    at the upper part of some range. And murcury levels are in
    the upper part of the normal range. And many people living
    in New England feel like I do in late winter.

    Electolyte levels came back OK, but this was after adding
    some to my diet past two days. I was feeling much better in
    recent days after adding vitamin D and doing a bit of
    tanning. A stressful 7 hour drive from NH to DE through CN
    and MY (try that for fun sometime) and reading about mercury
    set me back a bit.

    Isn't life interesting. I have a variety of very common
    ailments, a mouthful of a substance (like millions of other)
    with a know toxicity, and there is probably no easy answer.
    I'd sure like to think that someday fillings could be put in
    or replaced with something other than mercury. What were
    yours replaced with? What was the cost? What is known about
    the material used? My dentist replaced the one because it
    was starting to crack, and he wants to do one or two more. I
    have no reason not to believe he is a caring man, but would
    be leary if he suggested replacing all my 50% mercury
    filling with ones that were less mercury, and more of
    another heavy metal. Now, if there were a substance that
    could be used with no know toxicity, and it would cost a
    couple grand, I might consider. See where I'm going.

    My plan now is to eliminate obvious sources of twitching.
    Vitamin and electrolytes have been ruled out. Seasonal
    anxiety and depression could be root cause. I have
    insurance, so could get a brain MRI if I wished. If some
    nice warm weather and occasional use of anxiety med
    eliminated twitches, I'd be much relieved.

    Mike

> [...]
    > > > that and the fillings. This will cause a small current
    > > > to be produced, which accelerates the leaching out of
    > > > mercury. Many dentists have the capability to measure
    > > > the potential and tell you if there is any problem. Be
    > > > sure to find a dentist that doesn't scoff at the
    > toxicity
    > > > problem of mercury. I had a variety of potentials
    > > > between the 11 fillings and the gold inlay in my case.
    > > >
    > > > If you believe you have mercury toxicity, you need to
    > > > get in
    > contact
    > > > with a nutritionally oriented doctor/nutritionist to
    > > > start on a program to remove the mercury. It can be
    > > > done, but it is slow. Sometimes hair testing can
    > > > reveal heavy metals, but I don't always trust the
    > > > results.
    > > >
    > > > GT
    > > >
    > > > "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in

  18. Gt

    Gt Guest

    It sounds like mercury could be a source of a problem. I am
    hedging on that statement, because the "cure" is drastic and
    expensive.

    If you could find a dentist who can measure the potential of
    the various fillings, and see if one is really out in left
    field, then an appropriate solution might be to replace the
    offender with a composite (type of plastic) or a porcelain
    crown or inlay. These are relatively safe restorations. I
    would stay away from gold, since that is another metal and
    would accelerate the leaching of existing fillings.
    Measuring the potential is relatively simple; a platinum
    electrode to the mouth tissue and a platinum spongy material
    for connecting to the tooth filling. Then the millivolts are
    measured with a conventional voltmeter. You might be able to
    make it yourself. I don't remember what the millivolt
    readings are - mine were done in 1984. It's probably
    something in the 200-800 mV range.

    By the way, in 1984 I talked the dentist into a package deal
    for all 11, replacing with gold. It came to $2500 at that
    time. But I had a really good engineering job. Today, it
    would be prohibitive for me, since costs have gone up so
    much. I recently had to have one of them replaced, the cost
    for just one is now $1000. Doesn't matter if it's gold or
    porcelain. Sort of cuts into the retirement a bit.

    A composite replacement should be a lot less, probably in
    the $100-150 range, depending on difficulty. It probably
    wouldn't work on a chewing surface. Check with your dentist
    about the other teeth he wants to repair.

    But the alternative for you might be to attempt to remove it
    faster than it is getting into the body. Cilantro is known
    to get it out of soft tissue fairly well. And cilantro is
    readily available. Check the sites I referenced and others -
    the web is full of information about mercury removal. You
    might not need to go to the extreme I went to. I don't
    regret doing it, I would do it again. I just wish I knew
    about the hazards of mercury when I was younger.

    I think my tinnitus is probably partially due to my time in
    the Navy, around firing 5" guns. That is really a shock to
    the whole body.

    You may also want to look into the benefits of Coenzyme Q10.
    It can increase energy and is effective against periodontal
    disease, as well as being very beneficial for the heart.
    Don't take it in the evening, it may keep you from sleeping!

    Perhaps a good suggestion would be to try some of the
    simple, available, chelating materials such as the herbs for
    a couple of weeks and see if there is any improvement. That
    would certainly be the lowest cost. Then you can make a
    decision about how to go from there.

    GT

    "Michael Rawlins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "GT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<Ieb5c.21842$%[email protected]
    nk.net>...

    > I did some searching yesterday. Yea, I have the white
    > tissue near
    the
    > teeth. Some tinnitus, though playing in a rock band over
    > the years probably caused some of that. But this issue
    > seems like it is so
    far
    > from cut and dried it would be tough to spend many
    > thousands to seek
    > cure, since I don't have the thousands to try. What if
    > there's a potential, and it's at the upper part of some
    > range. And murcury levels are in the upper part of the
    > normal range. And many people living in New England feel
    > like I do in late winter.
    >
    > Electolyte levels came back OK, but this was after adding
    > some to my diet past two days. I was feeling much better
    > in recent days after adding vitamin D and doing a bit of
    > tanning. A stressful 7 hour
    drive
    > from NH to DE through CN and MY (try that for fun
    > sometime) and reading about mercury set me back a bit.
    >
    > Isn't life interesting. I have a variety of very common
    > ailments, a mouthful of a substance (like millions of
    > other) with a know
    toxicity,
    > and there is probably no easy answer. I'd sure like to
    > think that someday fillings could be put in or replaced
    > with something other
    than
    > mercury. What were yours replaced with? What was the
    > cost? What
    is
    > known about the material used? My dentist replaced the
    > one because
    it
    > was starting to crack, and he wants to do one or two more.
    > I have no reason not to believe he is a caring man, but
    > would be leary if he suggested replacing all my 50%
    > mercury filling with ones that were less mercury, and more
    > of another heavy metal. Now, if there were a substance
    > that could be used with no know toxicity, and it would
    cost
    > a couple grand, I might consider. See where I'm going.
    >
    > My plan now is to eliminate obvious sources of
    > twitching. Vitamin
    and
    > electrolytes have been ruled out. Seasonal anxiety and
    > depression could be root cause. I have insurance, so could
    > get a brain MRI if I wished. If some nice warm weather and
    > occasional use of anxiety med eliminated twitches, I'd be
    > much relieved.
    >
    > Mike

  19. ">
    > Hi William,
    >
    > Lisinopril 20mg/day.
    >
    > Doc says it sounds like nerves. Well yea..my CNS is
    > freaking out. Had blood draw for Ca, Magnesium, 25 OH
    > Vitamin D, BUN, creatinine (sp?).
    >
    > Past 2 days I've gone to tanning booth, 9min and 7min. Not
    > alot for my darker colored skin. Nonetheless, palpitations
    > are gone, sleep improved. So those are the symptoms I've
    > seen are related to D deficiency. I live in NH. I see a
    > study recently was published saying UV in Boston in winter
    > is insuffucent in maintaining vit D levels, and I'm not
    > outside alot in winter (that will change). I also looked
    > at my typical calcium intake. Haven't been getting the RDA
    > based on 2000cal diet. My diet is closer to 3000cals given
    > activity/exercise level. Vitamin D is needed for calcium
    > absorption, from what I've seen. So the null hypothesis is
    > these symptoms that are similar to tetany might be low
    > calcium. We'll see. I do see improvement, twitching in
    > eyelid much reduced, but the ones in calf (and
    > occasionally other muscles) are still hanging in there.
    >
    > I'm headed to Delaware for a few weeks to visit family.
    > Hope some time outdoors there will make a difference. But
    > reading that MS suffers have increasing syptoms in winter
    > has me in twitches (pun inteded). Guess that's a rare
    > thing in men 40...?
    >
    > Cheers, Mike

    You're on a ACE inhibitor. This drug does list some
    central nervous system adverse reactions that occur in 1
    to 10 % of users. Those listed are dizziness, headache,
    fatigue, and muscle weakness. In the 1% or less adverse
    reactions, the list includes palpitations, tachycardia,
    orthostatic hypotension, angina pectoris, and syncope
    among other things.

    If you Google my posting history, you'll see I think a
    generous vitamin D dose during the winter is a wise choice.
    The connect of vitamin D to MS isn't fully a calcium thing.
    Low vitamin D status has been related to the genesis and
    progression of autoimmune disorders and various cancers such
    as prostate cancer. Indeed, dark skin males living in
    temperate regions have higher prostate cancer rates than
    similiar populations living in the tropics. Compare American
    blacks to Africa blacks, this principle should apply to
    other populations with darker skin.

    During the last of October, November, December, January,
    February and here to date, I chosen to take 4000 IUs of D.
    Granted the upper limit (UL) was set at 2000 IUs but a
    person can get as much as 10000 IUs in the tropic or the
    summer if they expose a fair amount of skin. So I see the UL
    as a mistake at least during the darker months. Dark skinned
    folks take a good deal longer than whites to convert
    cholesterol into vitamin D. On the upside dark skins help
    preserve the vitamin folic acid from destruction by
    ultraviolet light. Light skin is an adaptive trade off for
    people who wear clothes in cold climates and so need to
    produce as much as possible vitamin D with the least amount
    of skin. The trade off is the loss of some folic acid during
    the summer and higher skin cancer rates.

    If you want to be conservative dosewise consider a dose in
    the range 1000 to 2000 IUs per day all year round here in
    the temperate region. The slight summer excess will carry
    over into the winter when you are short even at this dose.
    The body can store vitamin D for months.

    I'd choose a supplement with only vitamin D and with no
    vitamin A. If you take a supplement containing vitamin A in
    the preformed vitamer keep the dose low under 5000 IUs as
    milk will contain some supplemental A thru fortification.