Vitamin E / colitis / inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

Effect of a novel water-soluble vitamin E derivative as a cure for
TNBS-induced colitis in rats.
Isozaki Y, Yoshida N, Kuroda M, Takagi T, Handa O, Kokura S, Ichikawa
H, Naito Y, Okanoue T, Yoshikawa T
Int J Mol Med. 2006 Mar ; 17(3): 497-502

Lipid peroxidation mediated by oxygen free radicals plays an important
role in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Vitamin E
is a lipid-soluble antioxidant and is generally considered to protect
against lipid peroxidation of the cell membrane and to scavenge singlet
oxygen and superoxide anion radical. Therefore, vitamin E or its
derivatives are expected to have particular application for patients
suffering from IBD. The aim of this study was to investigate the
antioxidative effects of the water-soluble vitamin E derivative,
2-(alpha-D-glucopyranosyl)methyl-2,5,7,8-tetra-methylchroman-6-ol(TMG),
on the therapy of experimental colitis in rats. Colitis was induced in
male Wistar rats weighing 200 g using an enema of trinitrobenzene
sulfonic acid (TNBS) dissolved in 50% ethanol; TMG dissolved in
physiological saline was injected intra-peritoneally every day from 24
h after the enema of TNBS. The damage score, wet weight of the colon,
and increase in body weight were estimated 1 week after the enema of
TNBS. Thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBA-RS), an index of
lipid peroxidation, and tissue-associated myeloperoxidase (MPO)
activity in the colonic mucosa were measured 1 week after the induction
of colitis. As a result, increase in body weight was inhibited by the
induction of colitis, although the inhibition was reduced in the group
treated with TMG. The damage score, wet weight, TBA-RS and MPO activity
were increased significantly in the colitis group; however, they were
inhibited by the administration of TMG. These results suggest that TMG
is effective for the treatment of colitis in rats induced by TNBS. In
the future, TMG could be a new therapeutic agent for IBD.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Quit posting studies that involve INDUCING colitis in rats. The
correlation to chronic, human, autoimmune colitis is thin at best.

For those that might be interested I'm running an on going experiment
with a colon cleansing product called Colonix. I'm not affiliated with
the product and will be posting my findings be they good or bad.

You can find the site here :
http://www.experimentmonkey.com/category/colon-cleanse/

If anybody else has used this product I'd love for you to post you
experiences as well.

Cheers,
oneson

On 21 Feb 2006 12:14:13 -0800, "oneson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>For those that might be interested I'm running an on going experiment
>with a colon cleansing product called Colonix. I'm not affiliated with
>the product and will be posting my findings be they good or bad.
>
>You can find the site here :
>http://www.experimentmonkey.com/category/colon-cleanse/

Potassium deficiency can be lethal. Such treatments lead to severe
potassium deficiency unless you take extra KCl.

If you end up in hospital and has to get KCl intravenously, it is not
good at any rate. And, if nurses are unlucky, the treatment will give
the same effect as the treatment murders in California is given,
except, without pain killers. (I have tried it three years ago, and
after turning myself in bed, it started to flow more quickly than
expected, my hand was suddenly ice cold, and it started to hurt, more
and more, so I rang for the nurses (in the middle of night).
Fortunately she came rather quickly since I was the only patient
during the easter. (Lost most of my K+ from extensive vomiting for 4
days without being able to call for help)

"Alf Christophersen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 21 Feb 2006 12:14:13 -0800, "oneson" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>For those that might be interested I'm running an on going experiment
>>with a colon cleansing product called Colonix. I'm not affiliated with
>>the product and will be posting my findings be they good or bad.
>>
>>You can find the site here :
>>http://www.experimentmonkey.com/category/colon-cleanse/

> Potassium deficiency can be lethal. Such treatments lead to severe
> potassium deficiency unless you take extra KCl.
>
> If you end up in hospital and has to get KCl intravenously, it is not
> good at any rate. And, if nurses are unlucky, the treatment will give
> the same effect as the treatment murders in California is given,
> except, without pain killers. (I have tried it three years ago, and
> after turning myself in bed, it started to flow more quickly than
> expected, my hand was suddenly ice cold, and it started to hurt, more
> and more, so I rang for the nurses (in the middle of night).
> Fortunately she came rather quickly since I was the only patient
> during the easter. (Lost most of my K+ from extensive vomiting for 4
> days without being able to call for help)

Very true, but excess Potassium kills quicker than depletion.
Low Potassium will often cause leg cramps when walking.

my gi doc says these colon cleansing products are a waste of time and money.
your body does it's own cleansing...thank-you-very-much and not only that,
but you are washing good stuff away that you shouldn't be. just my gi doc's
2 cents.
jeff

news:[email protected]...