vitamin E levels acts as a protective factor

Doe

Guest
Food Chem Toxicol. 2004 Mar;42(3):459-64. Related Articles, Links

Effect of an acute dose of ethanol on lipid peroxidation in rats: action of vitamin E.

Jordao AA Jr, Chiarello PG, Arantes MR, Meirelles MS, Vannucchi H.

Postgraduation in Food Science, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Av.
Bandeirantes, 3900, 14049-900, Ribeirao Preto-SP, Brazil.

Free radical generation is an important step in the pathogenesis of ethanol-associated liver injury.
Administration of ethanol induces an increase in lipid peroxidation both by enhancing the production
of oxygen reactive species and by decreasing the levels of endogenous antioxidants. This work
focuses on the generation of free radicals provoked by an acute ethanol dose in rats, and the role
of different dietary levels of vitamin E. The objective of this investigation was to study the
effect of three different dietary levels of vitamin E (deficient, control and supplemented with 20
times higher levels) on plasma and liver lipid peroxidation (assayed by TBARS), vitamin E in plasma
and liver, and hepatic glutathione concentration, in rats receiving the different diets. The animals
were submitted to an acute dose of ethanol (5 g/kg body weight) administered by gavage at the end of
an experimental 4 week period and were sacrificed at 0, 2, 4, 8 and 24 h after ethanol
administration. Dietary vitamin E caused a dose-dependent increase in liver and plasma concentration
of the vitamin, but ethanol administration decreased hepatic vitamin E in all groups. TBARS
concentrations were higher in liver of rats that received the deficient diet, independent of
ethanol, however, liver TBARS concentrations were low in control and supplemented groups, but
increased with ethanol ingestion. Glutathione levels were lowered by ethanol administration in all
groups, in different times, but recovered to this original level in 24 h time. In conclusion,
vitamin E deficiency alone induces liver lipid peroxidation in rats, acute administration of ethanol
affect vitamin E and GSH level and maintenance of adequate or higher vitamin E levels acts as a
protective factor against free radical generation.

PMID: 14871588 [PubMed - in process]

------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Food Chem Toxicol. 2004 Mar;42(3):459-64. Related Articles, Links
>

> Effect of an acute dose of ethanol on lipid peroxidation in rats: action
of
> vitamin E.

Speaking as one who's actually looked into this recently.........

The article I've snipped doesn't go into specific details about the technique by which vitamin E was
measured. There are a few methods available, most of which are rather time consuming, and many of
which aren't very precise. Without more details about the reproducubility of the assay employed, I'd
be rather sceptical about the article.

MB

On 2004-02-15 15:05:05 -0500, [email protected] (doe) said:

> Food Chem Toxicol. 2004 Mar;42(3):459-64. Related Articles, Links Effect of an acute dose of
> ethanol on lipid peroxidation in rats: action of vitamin E.

Wow! This is great news for alcoholic rats everywhere! ;)

>Subject: Re: vitamin E levels acts as a protective factor
>From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
>Date: 2/15/2004 2:11 PM Mountain Standard Time
>

>"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040215150512.13026.00002233@mb-
>m02.aol.com...
>> Food Chem Toxicol. 2004 Mar;42(3):459-64. Related Articles, Links
>>

>> Effect of an acute dose of ethanol on lipid peroxidation in rats: action
>of
>> vitamin E.
>
>Speaking as one who's actually looked into this recently.........
>
>The article I've snipped doesn't go into specific details about the technique by which vitamin E
>was measured. There are a few methods available, most of which are rather time consuming, and many
>of which aren't very precise. Without more details about the reproducubility of the assay employed,
>I'd be rather sceptical about the article.
>
>MB

Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004 Mar 1;423(1):162-9. Related Articles, Links

Enhanced inflammatory responses in alpha-tocopherol transfer protein null mice.

Schock BC, Van Der Vliet A, Corbacho AM, Leonard SW, Finkelstein E, Valacchi G, Obermueller-Jevic U,
Cross CE, Traber MG.

Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Center for Comparative Respiratory Biology and
Medicine, University of California School of Medicine, Davis, CA 95616, USA.

The liver preferentially secretes alpha-tocopherol into plasma under the control of the hepatic alpha-
tocopherol transfer protein (alpha-TTP). alpha-TTP-null mice (Ttpa(-/-) mice) are vitamin E
deficient, therefore were used for investigations of in vivo responses to sub-normal tissue alpha-
tocopherol concentrations during inflammation. Increased basal oxidative stress in Ttpa(-/-) mice
was documented by increased plasma lipid peroxidation, and superoxide production by bone marrow-
derived neutrophils stimulated in vitro with phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate. Lipopolysaccharide
(LPS) injected intraperitoneally induced increases in lung and liver HO-1 and iNOS, as well as
plasma NO(x) in Ttpa(+/+) mice. LPS induced more modest increases in these markers in Ttpa(-/-)
mice, while more marked increases in plasma IL-10 and lung lavage TNFalpha were observed. Taken
together, these results demonstrate that alpha-tocopherol is important for proper modulation of
inflammatory responses and that sub-optimal alpha-tocopherol concentrations may derange inflammatory-
immune responses.

PMID: 14871478 [PubMed - in process]

------