General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Vitamin K & Blood Clots

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,867 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 July 2007
Last activity
11 July 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,867
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi.

    I have a question about the risk of blood clots, please. I am a 44 yr
    old female w/Raynaud's and circulatory problems, and DVT's run in my
    family. I also have Osteoporosis due to Early Menopause. Until
    recently I had been taking 100mcgs of Vitamin K for my bones, until I
    realized that this was not a good idea because of blood clots.

    I am quite concerned. Does Vitamin K cause blood clots? I'm due to go
    on a long-haul flight 10 hrs. soon, I've stopped the Vitamin K,
    started taking a baby aspirin daily. Should I be worried?

    Also, would a full strength adult non-coated be better than a baby
    aspirin for clot prevention? Any advice would be most appreciated!

    Best.
    Valerie

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.

    I have a question about the risk of blood clots, please. I am a 44 yr
    old female w/Raynaud's and circulatory problems, and DVT's run in my
    family. I also have Osteoporosis due to Early Menopause. Until
    recently I had been taking 100mcgs of Vitamin K for my bones, until I
    realized that this was not a good idea because of blood clots.


    Not a good Idea as it thickens your blood. Combine that with cold weather
    and higher colesterol diet you'll get blood clots easily. You should take
    calcium
    and enzymes for osteoperosis, (enzymes provide uptake into your system.)

    Quoted message said:

    I am quite concerned. Does Vitamin K cause blood clots?


    YES it can!

    I'm due to go on a long-haul flight 10 hrs. soon, I've stopped the Vitamin
    K,

    Quoted message said:

    started taking a baby aspirin daily. Should I be worried?

    That's a good idea as long as you don't take too much as it lasts in your
    system up to 10 days.

    Quoted message said:


    Also, would a full strength adult non-coated be better than a baby
    aspirin for clot prevention? Any advice would be most appreciated!

    Either take it (I presume 10mg Cardiprin) per day or 300 mg asprin about
    once a week unless you're a hemophilliac and bleed easily.

    Quoted message said:


    Best.
    Valerie


    I'm not a Doctor and therefore give this advice from experience of having a
    patent foramen ovale and thick blood and not wanting to have side effects
    warfrin entails.

    The osteoperosis information is what I've discovered from Dr. Joel Wallach.
    If you want his web site just email me. Paul.

  3. Quoted message said:

    Hi.

    I have a question about the risk of blood clots, please. I am a 44 yr
    old female w/Raynaud's and circulatory problems, and DVT's run in my
    family. I also have Osteoporosis due to Early Menopause. Until
    recently I had been taking 100mcgs of Vitamin K for my bones, until I
    realized that this was not a good idea because of blood clots.

    I am quite concerned. Does Vitamin K cause blood clots? I'm due to go
    on a long-haul flight 10 hrs. soon, I've stopped the Vitamin K,
    started taking a baby aspirin daily. Should I be worried?

    Also, would a full strength adult non-coated be better than a baby
    aspirin for clot prevention? Any advice would be most appreciated!

    Best.
    Valerie

    In a person not on blood thinners, extra vitamin K will not make
    blood more prone to clotting according to one research paper I
    recently read.
    Having said that, that is only one paper. And it wasn't in the
    context of Raynaund's disease or phenomenon. Of course there
    is the issue of the underlying disease also.

    A shortage of vitamin D will make one more prone to clotting according
    to paper I read today; whereas, vitamin A in too high a ratio to
    vitamin D will likely make on more prone to clotting.

    A 100 mcgs of phylloquinone is a tiny dose such a tiny dose it
    would be fine along with the antivitamin K blood thinners.
    Granted this may run counter to the content of what is said
    in the nursing lecture but how often are they up to date on this
    topic? Indeed, recent research indicate this is the preferred state
    for vitamin K. as what a person" wants" on the thinners is a very
    steady intake
    (if limited) of vitamin K. If the vitamin K intake bounces around the
    titrated dose
    of meds will not always be accurate/optimal. A salad can contain
    more vitamin K than 100 mcgs. Please check what I say as my
    memory can be flawed.

    I take 10 milligrams of the vitamin each and every day.
    I'll get back with references on some of these points.

    How is your bone density? The blood thinner meds (coumadin)
    will weaken bones over time as vitamin K is needed for the manufacture
    of bone matrix. Recall bone is made of both mineral and matrix.
    When one makes beef broth the protein in the finished broth
    comes not only from the marrow but also the protein matrix
    of the bone.

    Also fish oil maybe useful in
    making you less prone to clotting.
    I haven't kept up on the aspirin thing, I do recall
    some authorites suggested a bit more aspirin could help.

    Take an aspirin and relax. Drink plenty of fluids.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.