George said:Just started the low-carb diet to go from 210 to 185. I have been
told to watch my fiber intake (and Vitamins A, C, and E)...that it may
be too low, and that I can actually hurt internal organs if I'm not
careful.
My diet is low-carb, but I eat lots of meat and cheese...and lots of
water. I'm a 44 year old male and I run almost daily...about 3 miles
five times a week.
Three days into the low-carb diet, I feel full, yet empty after I
eat...and my bowels, sheesh!
Eating 2-3 cups of salad or low carb vegetables everyday will help
keep you regular. Salads are pretty tasty when you can have full fat
dressing (read labels or make your own), cheese, eggs, turkey, ham,
and _some_ olive and tomato, etc. as toppings. Or a taco salad sans
shell. Browned ground beef with chili powder, garlic, and cumin as
seasonings, and a _little_ salsa/avocado/sour cream. And grilled
chicken caesar salad -- yum.
Also, there are several other low or lowish carb vegetables that you
can occasionally have as a snack or a side. Broccoli, tomatoes,
spinach, mushrooms, and so on.
Ingredients and amounts of some of the salad toppings and vegetables
depend on how many carbs you want to allow at this point. Be sure and
look up the carb counts for yourself and plan accordingly.
Quoted message said:Is physical exercise a good idea without supplements here?
I think it's generally a good idea to supplement -- whether you
exercise vigorously or not.
Quoted message said:What do I
need to be aware of or watch out for? I don't have any books and just
eat whatever doesn't have carbs.
There are some good books out there -- Atkins of course, another one
is _Protein Power_. It would be wise to get one of these to read. At
the very least, go to the Atkins website and look through it
thoroughly.
PS -- calories still matter, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.