Vittoria Diamante Pro

bpatterson

Aug 27, 2006
After just 20 rides they wore down and blew out ... went out and put on two new schwalbe ultremo's we will see what happens with those .. I was riding Vreds tricomps for the last year or two... anyone see this type of problem before?

I love the Diamante Pros. I've ridden Vred's (too many defects), Conti's (good wear resistance and too much rolling resistance), as well as the Vittoria Open CX's (beautiful tire with no wear resistance). The Diamante Pros combine most of the low rolling resistance of the Open CX's with decent (2,200 miles on rear tire) wear.

Dave

I don't know what to say. Most of the 2,200 miles I got was on my rollers (Kreitler Alloy) which tend to be harder than the road on tires.

800 miles just doesn't seem right.

Dave

bpatterson said:
I'm not even sure I got 800 miles ...... the whole tread line just wore away
I got 800km on Diamante Pros and had to throw them away.

Other blokes had been using Rubino Pros, so I gave them a go. I get about 5000km on the back tyre. A great value training tyre!

I am with dkrenik on this one. I tend to use Vittoria clinchers almost exclusively and have had good experiences with Rubino pros as well as with Diamante Pros.

I suspect you may have gotten a dud set or something for them to only last 800 miles... (under 1500km?).

I am now riding Vittoria Open CXs because life is too short not too... :D

I don't see myself buying another pair of Vittoria's and if these schwalbe's last at all I'm sold these things rolled and spun unbeilivable last night even when I was a little tired at the end they seemed to spin by themselfs ... what a diffrence..

bpatterson said:
I don't see myself buying another pair of Vittoria's and if these schwalbe's last at all I'm sold these things rolled and spun unbeilivable last night even when I was a little tired at the end they seemed to spin by themselfs ... what a diffrence..

The Ultremos are very nice tires. I liked 'em a lot, at least until a belt broke in the rear, causing a very unnatural tire shape. The original Ultremos did have some issues, as with the belts. However, it seems Schwalbe overcame those issues. The '09 Ultremo line looks to be even better.

All '09 Ultremos will come with a new "nano" compound rubber to decrease Crr and increase grip (which was already pretty damned good). Unfortunately, no matter how much I like the Ultremos, I cringe at yet another abuse of the "nano" prefix in cycling. Also, the Vectran belt has been revised and presumably improved, and to supplement the Vectran belt and increase puncture protection, there will be another belt, a rubber belt coated or embedded with ceramic bits. There are additions in '09 to the Ultremo line:
  • The Ultremo R: a lightweight flavored clincher, weighing in at around 180g
  • The Ultremo DD; another clincher, with the addition of a bead to bead layer of "snakeskin" to improve sidewall protection and provide even more puncture resistance under the tread
  • A third clincher I can't remember
With the changes to the compounds and Vectran belt, as well as the addition of the rubber/ceramic layer, the Ultemo tubular (which, hopefully, will actually be available on a broad basis this year) looks to be very promising. I hope these improvements and changes actually pay off, as opposed to Conti's changes last year.....the addition of black Chili. I lost count of how many times the GP4000s tires I was using punctured. I think Veloflex Carbon tubulars are more puncture proof than the GP4000s tires, and that's not saying much at all.

I was given a set of Vittoria Open CXs and they stayed on my wheels for about 2 weeks before I had to chuck them, plus they were showing a lot of wear for 800-1000km. They cut way to easy to be used anywhere other then well swept roads, the smallest amount of road debris goes straight through them. Do like the GP4000s roll well and last quite well. I have been riding Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp's now for about 5 months and love them. Roll even better then my Conti Force/Attacks and have the puncture resistance of GP4000s.

unless there is a major malfunction these schwalbe ultremo'sare my tire for lif I put a latex tube in today and it was a wonderful ride

schwalbe ultremo's are the best ... i could do a commercial I already have my LBS getting me the 2009 .. and no flats yet.. knock on wooden tire rims:D

Careful on the Ultremo clinchers. I have read of several reports of the clincher sidewall 'herniating' after 1~2k km. I have no idea if it was only an issue with a shipment here or there or something more systematic. Anyway, on several Italian forums riders who loved their Ultremo clinchers ran into this issue on a number of occasions.

that's what happen to my Diamante's and how I tried the ultermo's ... I have over 1k on these