Vittoria EVO CX 320 TPI

jarodwinn

Sep 2, 2009
Hello,

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience riding on these tires (NOTE: the NEW Vittorias with the 320 TPI, not the 290 TPI's). I've heard mixed reviews on the tire as far as flats go, but most bad reviews don't state whether or not they're talking about the old 290 TPI or the new 320 TPI. I hear there's quite a difference but want to make sure before I throw down $100+ on a new set of tires.
I'd like to give open tubulars a chance this year, if you have any other recommendations please speak up :)

Vittoria S.p.A. Racing Tubulars Road Tires Racing Tyres Bicycle Components Tyre

They're generally loved, but from what I've read the views on puncture resistance are a mixed bag. That said, when people buy these tires, puncture resistance isn't likely the quality for which they're buying.

My Vittoria experience has with been with Corsa EVO CX and KX tubulars, neither of which would have won any prizes for puncture resistance. They were, however, very nice tires and confidence inspiring.

I like them. Very fast.

I have some on my race wheels.

The CXs are necessarily thin tyres to add suppleness and reduce weight, but I don't like talking about puncture resistance.

I've punctured plenty of thick case tyres and plenty of thin ones too (including Vittorias). I guess when the thicker ones puncture they're just more likely to be re-useable.

I prefer the Open Pave It's a little heavier but much more durable.

The CX tubulars were great tyres back in the early 90s...

Compared to the GP4000S, the last EVO CX's were like walking down a freshly oiled bowling alley in your brand new cycling shoes... but they do a great job of ridding the streets of those pesky thorns and bits of glass.

EVO CX's - tires for those who like to sweep the streets so little Johnny doesn't have to go through having glass removed from his knees when he falls.

I've used the tubulars a good bit in both the 20c and 23c varieties. I have to say, it is totally worth it to go for the 23c, it is night in day in terms of comfort, handling, everything. Other than that little distinction, these are bar none my favorite tires, I cannot reccomend them enough.

jarodwinn said:
Hello,

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience riding on these tires (NOTE: the NEW Vittorias with the 320 TPI, not the 290 TPI's). I've heard mixed reviews on the tire as far as flats go, but most bad reviews don't state whether or not they're talking about the old 290 TPI or the new 320 TPI. I hear there's quite a difference but want to make sure before I throw down $100+ on a new set of tires.
I'd like to give open tubulars a chance this year, if you have any other recommendations please speak up :)

Vittoria S.p.A. Racing Tubulars Road Tires Racing Tyres Bicycle Components Tyre

We are using the 290TPI CS not CX. Wow - what a tire. I'm planning on getting the 320TPI CS but it is not available yet as far as I know.

For racing - I think the CS is worth the risk of a flat.