VIttoria KX Tubular Tire

Rapunzel

Guest
After several hundred miles with the KX on the rear and a CX in the
front. I'm not sure I like the KX. It has proven to be durable, low
rolling resistance, with slow wearing tread. What I don't like about
this tire is the ride quality and feel. It's feels far more like a
clincher in it's ride and cornering. I guess it due to the Kevlar mixed
in the casing material.

When this set of tires wears out, it's back to Veloflex tubulars. I'm a
bit disappointed with this latest offering from Vittoria.

I have use the CX, all weather pro (really good tire when the roads are
wet and slippery) over the years and liked them just fine, but the KX
was not what I expected.

Has anyone else had experience with the KX?

Bernice

Bernice who? writes:

> After several hundred miles with the KX on the rear and a CX in the
> front. I'm not sure I like the KX. It has proven to be durable,
> low rolling resistance, with slow wearing tread. What I don't like
> about this tire is the ride quality and feel. It's feels far more
> like a clincher in it's ride and cornering. I guess it due to the
> Kevlar mixed in the casing material.

How can you tell whether it corners well or not? Have you slipped and
crashed in curves?

> When this set of tires wears out, it's back to Veloflex tubulars.
> I'm a bit disappointed with this latest offering from Vittoria.

I'd like to know what comparison tests you did to come to this conclusion.

> I have use the CX, all weather pro (really good tire when the roads
> are wet and slippery) over the years and liked them just fine, but
> the KX was not what I expected.

Explain.

> Has anyone else had experience with the KX?

What sort of bad experience? Do you repair flats, and how?

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
> Bernice who? writes:

*Hello,

> How can you tell whether it corners well or not? Have you slipped and
> crashed in curves?

*It's subjective, based on training and race miles.

>>When this set of tires wears out, it's back to Veloflex tubulars.
>>I'm a bit disappointed with this latest offering from Vittoria.

> I'd like to know what comparison tests you did to come to this conclusion.

*Basically, it what I wrote above, Yes, it highly un-scientific and
totally subject individual
interpretation, bias and a host of other failings, these are my
impression of the tire.

*For what it's worth, I have been pedaling for a long time. I spent
plenty of time on many Clement, Vittoria, Wolber, Michelin and a host of
other tubular and clinchers over the years.

>>I have use the CX, all weather pro (really good tire when the roads
>>are wet and slippery) over the years and liked them just fine, but
>>the KX was not what I expected.

> Explain.
>

>>Has anyone else had experience with the KX?

> What sort of bad experience? Do you repair flats, and how?

*I would not say the KX was a bad experience, It has proven to be one
tough, long wearing, fast tire. IMO, the ride is simply HARD and road
feel and perception of grip was not similar to their CX. I believe this
is the trade off they made to get those other qualities. Like all
things, much of the end product are the results of a given set of trade
offs, good and bad.

*This specific tire has not flatted yet. It is a tubular and my rule for
them, if the tire has a big gash (over 0.25" well into the casing) it's
not worth fixing. If it's a simple puncture and the tire is not too old,
I will try once to fix it and when It flats again, the tire is done.
Usually, the tire has gone near 2000 miles if it's a rear and there are
plenty of micro cracks in the tread.

*I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this tire and
what their impression were since this is one of Vittoria's new offerings.

> Jobst Brandt
> [email protected]

Bernice