Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-CX for timetrialing

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
I am looking for a new tire for my Renn575 disc wheel. The Renn575 is a clincher and so I am looking for the best clincher tire from the above listed tires. These tires should be ideal for time trials and all weather. Are there any suggestions or other suggestions?

:D

lohsnest said:
I am looking for a new tire for my Renn575 disc wheel. The Renn575 is a clincher and so I am looking for the best clincher tire from the above listed tires. These tires should be ideal for time trials and all weather. Are there any suggestions or other suggestions?

:D

Time trialing...ok, the evo-cx's are pretty good. I road on them, and they feel so nice. The high pressure it can handle sure does reduce rolling resistance. HOWEVER, all weather......count these tires out! It was unbelievable how fast these tires got chewed up. Seriously, I put about 700 miles on them and they were just shredded. I biked on the same roads with other tires, but these ones just didn't hold up. There were huge gashes in the rubber all over, and I got flats almost every 3rd ride.

Edit: plus they are hella expensive. Luckly, I got mine new on ebay for a decent price

Miagi said:
Time trialing...ok, the evo-cx's are pretty good. I road on them, and they feel so nice. The high pressure it can handle sure does reduce rolling resistance. HOWEVER, all weather......count these tires out! It was unbelievable how fast these tires got chewed up. Seriously, I put about 700 miles on them and they were just shredded. I biked on the same roads with other tires, but these ones just didn't hold up. There were huge gashes in the rubber all over, and I got flats almost every 3rd ride.

Edit: plus they are hella expensive. Luckly, I got mine new on ebay for a decent price
So what is your preferred tire?

lohsnest said:
So what is your preferred tire?
I have an Open Corsa EVO KS on the front and it's the best tyre I've ever had, but I haven't tried the others.

I've got a Vredestein Fortezza Road, which is nowhere as good as my Vittoria -- I'd like to try a Tri-Comp. I've had cheaper Michelins in the past, and they all felt spongey and slow, but I'm sure the Pro-Race would be better.

Based on my lack of knowledge :p, I'd go for the Vittoria

The CX is a nice tyre, one of the best rides of any of the Vittorias but it is not the best wearing one.

Look at bicyclerubber.com for a comparison of a few Vittorias

If you really want to treat yourself to a lovely tyre, then I would always go for the Veloflex range.

Not sure who stocks them down under but you could start at www.veloflex.it

Let me tell you that people that try Veloflex and seem to become some sort of convert to them!

Cheers

I would agree about the Veloflexes. Best tyres I have used. The Record is only 130gr, so the Corsa or Master may be a better bet, as they wear better.

I recently bought a bunch of TriComps because they were cheap, and I don't think they're as fast as the Vittoria. They don't feel as grippy, tacky or as supple as the Vittoria, but from my short experience with the Vredesteins and the Vittorias, the Vredesteins are much more reliable and longer lasting.

domaindomain said:
The CX is a nice tyre, one of the best rides of any of the Vittorias but it is not the best wearing one.

Look at bicyclerubber.com for a comparison of a few Vittorias

If you really want to treat yourself to a lovely tyre, then I would always go for the Veloflex range.

Not sure who stocks them down under but you could start at www.veloflex.it

Let me tell you that people that try Veloflex and seem to become some sort of convert to them!

Cheers

Perhaps this is a unique experience - anecdotes can be weak - but in this case I don't think so.

I used a veloflex tire for a total of one day. It was wet, and it had been dry previously, so there was some debris on the road. The handling wasn't as good as my nice vittoria race tires. I've noticed my vittoria's puncture fairly easily. They have nothing on the veloflexes. I got 3 punctures in one day. I brought this up with my friend who gave me the tire - a bunch of guys riding for a shop team were sponsored by veloflex and he'd got a sample from them. He said, yeah, we've decided to rename them 'veloflats'. People from this team were giving back the veloflex tires and paying out of their own pocket to ride Conti, Michelin, Vittoria or Vredestein. Perhaps on a swept crit circuit or a track they are great. I don't know. Otherwise, I wouldn't go near them.