Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX Tyres

rek

Aug 31, 2002
Hi all,

I ordered some Vittoria Rubino Pros by mail order a little while back, and when the package came in today I found out that they had swapped them for some Open Corsa EVO CX tyres instead.. looking on the internet they seem to be a high-end racing clincher, no doubt worth a fair bit more than the Rubinos, so I'm not complaining :)

What does worry me, however, are factors such as tyre durability and puncture resistance -- I think of "competition spec tyres" and conjure up images of tyres lasting barely a thousand km, and puncturing if I even look at a dodgy road. There's even a warning on the back of the pack, "Attention to gravel and glass; these may damage the casing of the tyre."

Does anyone have any opinions/experiences with this tyre? I don't take part in any competitive cycling, so as high-end as they are, I'm not sure whether I should try swapping them somewhere for tyres that are going to be more durable/reliable or just enjoy the free upgrade for however long they'll last.

Originally posted by rek
Hi all,

I ordered some Vittoria Rubino Pros by mail order a little while back, and when the package came in today I found out that they had swapped them for some Open Corsa EVO CX tyres instead.. looking on the internet they seem to be a high-end racing clincher, no doubt worth a fair bit more than the Rubinos, so I'm not complaining :)

What does worry me, however, are factors such as tyre durability and puncture resistance -- I think of "competition spec tyres" and conjure up images of tyres lasting barely a thousand km, and puncturing if I even look at a dodgy road. There's even a warning on the back of the pack, "Attention to gravel and glass; these may damage the casing of the tyre."

Does anyone have any opinions/experiences with this tyre? I don't take part in any competitive cycling, so as high-end as they are, I'm not sure whether I should try swapping them somewhere for tyres that are going to be more durable/reliable or just enjoy the free upgrade for however long they'll last.

That is a very comfy tire. I would definitely not return them and whoever made the mistake. Too bad. You got a keeper. Yeah, you are right thought, they flat a LOT easier because the casing and sidewalls are not as durable, but they are lighter and that's the tradoff. The wear is dependant on the rubber and not the casing. And I'm not sure if the Rubino's or Open Corsas have more rubber, but even if the Rubino's have greater treadlife, wo what? The Open Corsas (in the clincher) are the best clinchers I've ever owned and comes the closest to tubular performance out of any of the clinchers I've tried including the popular Continental Grand Prix and Michelin Axial Pros.

Keep them and use them For your argus or 94.7 record attempt. put some nice latex tubes in it and you'll feel how smooth they are. You certainly feel the difference. Their lifespan is indeed not so long, just check for glass and stones and remove it from the tore9as you should do with all your tires). If there is a cut fix it with some glue(prolongs lifespan). And stay away from the debree at the sides of the roads9as you should always do).

I chucked them on yesterday morning and went for a bit of a test ride. Ended up going twice as long as I had planned, the tyres felt fantastic and were a dream to ride .. the comfort, handling, grip, everything.

I've never had any complaints over ride quality despite riding a big tubed aluminium bike .. but I'm amazed at how much better the ride is with these over the tyres I've used in the past (Vittoria Tecno Sport 28mm and Conti Ultra 3000 25/23mm.) After the 80km of riding yesterday, it felt as though I had just done 10. (I'm just using basic butyl tubes BTW.)

If they don't prove to be an excessively short lived puncture-magnet I think I might stock up on these when they are on sale...