Vitus 979

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Graham, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Bill Graham

    Bill Graham Guest

    I'm trying to get back into cycling on a seriously small and restricted budget. I've found what
    looks to be a nice frame at a good price (unless it gets jacked up on eBay). The frame is a Vitus
    979. Bonded Dural aluminum tubing.

    Are these safe and rideable?

    Thanks,

    Bill Graham

    Tags:

  2. Eric Murray

    Eric Murray Guest

    In article <BB24FD31.19A31%[email protected]>, Bill Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm trying to get back into cycling on a seriously small and restricted budget. I've found what
    >looks to be a nice frame at a good price (unless it gets jacked up on eBay). The frame is a Vitus
    >979. Bonded Dural aluminum tubing.
    >
    >Are these safe and rideable?

    Yes, unless the joints have loosened up. It was more common on the carbon Vituses than on the 979.

    I put > 30k miles on a 979 that I still have. In the day it was a very common frame in the pro
    peloton, often painted to look like a product of the purported bike sponsor. It was light, not very
    expensive, and comfortable.

    The frame, especially in the larger sizes, was not very stiff on the bottom bracket. It never
    bothered me but some people find it unnerving. They also have a pretty steep steering head angle
    which makes for quick steering.

    It won't take 130mm (9-10 speed) rear hubs and it can't safely be spread. 126mm only.

    Eric

  3. Js

    Js Guest

    I've been spreading my rear chainstays to accept a 130mm for a long time without any problems. In
    fact, I swap back and forth between my 8 speed hub and 126mm 7 speed without any problems.

    John

    "Eric Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <BB24FD31.19A31%[email protected]>, Bill Graham <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > >I'm trying to get back into cycling on a seriously small and restricted budget. I've found what
    > >looks to be a nice frame at a good price (unless
    it
    > >gets jacked up on eBay). The frame is a Vitus 979. Bonded Dural aluminum tubing.
    > >
    > >Are these safe and rideable?
    >
    > Yes, unless the joints have loosened up. It was more common on the carbon Vituses than on the 979.
    >
    > I put > 30k miles on a 979 that I still have. In the day it was a very common frame in the pro
    > peloton, often painted to look like a product of the purported bike sponsor. It was light, not
    > very expensive, and comfortable.
    >
    > The frame, especially in the larger sizes, was not very stiff on the bottom bracket. It never
    > bothered me but some people find it unnerving. They also have a pretty steep steering head angle
    > which makes for quick steering.
    >
    > It won't take 130mm (9-10 speed) rear hubs and it can't safely be spread. 126mm only.
    >
    > Eric

  4. i think vitus frames are way cool and were a way ahead of their time design. if you are really
    strong (say 180 lbs of muscle) i'd worry a bit about it flexing all the time.

    I am 170 lbs of largely lard, not a hard rider. i could not ride mine no hands above 15 mph- it
    shimmied really bad if i did. Also, on fast curvy descents, when I would hit bumps I could feel the
    wheels go out of plane with each other- it would twist a bit over the bumps. I haven't heard of any
    failing suddenly- they do develop cracks at the joints I've heard. They ride good, smoothly. The
    anodized finish lasts incredibly well- 20 year old bikes look great.

  5. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:31:51 GMT, Bill Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm trying to get back into cycling on a seriously small and restricted budget. I've found what
    >looks to be a nice frame at a good price (unless it gets jacked up on eBay). The frame is a Vitus
    >979. Bonded Dural aluminum tubing.
    >
    >Are these safe and rideable?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bill Graham

    Amazing bikes... I've got one... still lighter and stiffer than most I see on club rides. Sorry it's
    on e-bay ... any idea what year?

  6. Bill Graham

    Bill Graham Guest

    Not the bike for me then. I'm 190. I should be 170 to be cycling svelte. I don't exactly ride really
    hard, sometime maybe. I do like to head to the mountains and seek out long climbs and long descents
    though. This frame sounds a little scary for that.

    > i think vitus frames are way cool and were a way ahead of their time design. if you are really
    > strong (say 180 lbs of muscle) i'd worry a bit about it flexing all the time.
    >
    > I am 170 lbs of largely lard, not a hard rider. i could not ride mine no hands above 15 mph- it
    > shimmied really bad if i did. Also, on fast curvy descents, when I would hit bumps I could feel
    > the wheels go out of plane with each other- it would twist a bit over the bumps. I haven't heard
    > of any failing suddenly- they do develop cracks at the joints I've heard. They ride good,
    > smoothly. The anodized finish lasts incredibly well- 20 year old bikes look great.

  7. Bill Graham

    Bill Graham Guest

    Not sure of the year, but it looks pristine. Black one.

    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:31:51 GMT, Bill Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to get back into cycling on a seriously small and restricted budget. I've found what
    >> looks to be a nice frame at a good price (unless it gets jacked up on eBay). The frame is a Vitus
    >> 979. Bonded Dural aluminum tubing.
    >>
    >> Are these safe and rideable?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Bill Graham
    >

    > Amazing bikes... I've got one... still lighter and stiffer than most I see on club rides. Sorry
    > it's on e-bay ... any idea what year?

  8. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:06:24 GMT, Bill Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not sure of the year, but it looks pristine. Black one.

    snip.. I saw that one on ebay... it's in switzerland..

  9. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:48:17 GMT, Bill Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not the bike for me then. I'm 190. I should be 170 to be cycling svelte. I don't exactly ride
    >really hard, sometime maybe. I do like to head to the mountains and seek out long climbs and long
    >descents though. This frame sounds a little scary for that.

    Not that scary. I have a friend who weighs upwards of 200# and has been riding his 979 (his only
    road bike) for about 15 years and thousands and thousands of miles. So far so good.

  10. In article <BB24FD31.19A31%[email protected]>, b[email protected] says...
    >I'm trying to get back into cycling on a seriously small and restricted budget. I've found what
    >looks to be a nice frame at a good price (unless it gets jacked up on eBay). The frame is a Vitus
    >979. Bonded Dural aluminum tubing. Are these safe and rideable?

    I had one for many years and it was a good bike for me. It's to tough say if the bike you are
    getting will be safe and rideable. Some of these did come apart at the joints.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  11. Eric Murray

    Eric Murray Guest

    In article <BB25A9CC.19A96%[email protected]>, Bill Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Not the bike for me then. I'm 190. I should be 170 to be cycling svelte. I don't exactly ride
    >really hard, sometime maybe. I do like to head to the mountains and seek out long climbs and long
    >descents though. This frame sounds a little scary for that.

    It's really not that bad.

    The shimmy thing only happens around 13 mph on mine, and it is only a problem when taking both hands
    off the bars. I used to take off my outer jersey while riding. As long as I was either under or over
    13 mph it was fine. If I slowed down to 13 mph I could feel the bars slowly start to wiggle.. there
    is always plenty of time to put a hand on them and then it stops.

    The downhill handling thing isn't an issue as long as you have proper form. If you don't the bike
    will let you know, not by crashing but by feeling unstable.

    Both will be better on a smaller frame (mine's a 59cm, nearly the largest they made). Since the
    tubes were the same diameter on all the sizes, the larger ones were flexier than the smaller ones.

    I did and still do a lot of big climbs and descents and the 979 never let me down. In fact I was
    much faster up hill and down on the 979 but I don't think that's due to the bike. I do like the
    Airborne Zeppelin I ride now better than the 979. But the 979 isn't bad. If you're tall you may be a
    little large for the 979.

    BTW, it may well be less expensive to buy a complete bike than to assemble one from parts, unless
    you already have a significant amount of parts.

    Eric