Vitus Aluminium Frame = Revisited

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
Hi there.

I hope to combine all the info regarding this frame into one topic.

I am about 180 lbs and am 55 years young.

If I were to get such a frame it would be for recreational riding.
Rides would be between 50 and 100 kilometres in length. I have hit
speeds of 65 km/hour (@ 40 mph) on my old Miele road bike with the
Tange Infinity tubing. A pic of it is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/199568357/

These speeds are only sustained for short times that is only a few
minutes at a time. I live in South-Central Ontario (Canada) where the
roads have mainly gentle rolling hills although there are a few steep
hills I climb using the 30 front 26 rear on the Miele. There are no
switchbacks on the roads I would be riding.

Now regarding that Vitus frame. It is made of Aluminium and is lugged.
I do not know what model it is but the seller says it takes a 25mm
seat post. In the hopes that the experts here would recognize the
model of this bicycle I uploaded a number of images of this frame at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/

One of those images is a closeup of the bottom of the bottom bracket
shell. Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/502481593/

Can any one identify the frame quality or material from these images?

Okay next. Due to the warnings from many of you *IF* I were to get
this frame I *WOULD NOT* spread the rear triangle for a 130 mm wheel.
I would either get a vintage 126 mm wheel or I would build up a 126 mm
wheel using an old rebuilt hub or a NOS hub. Ican use 8 of my 9 nine
speed gears on the 126 m hub so I do not have to worry about a new
cassette and chain.

Given that I will not be spreading the rear triangle would this still
be considered a bad frame? I am looking for a lighter weight bicycle
than my Miele but definitely can not afford either carbon fibre or a
$500 Canadian new aluminium frame.

I was considering buying this Vitus frame for the $150 Canadian ($136
US) because it comes with a Campy bottom bracket and headset and is
close enough to me that I can go pick it up. The seller is willing to
hold it for a few more days and I can get to him via inter-city bus
for about $25 Canadian. Another consideration was that it takes normal
reach brake calipers. The 25 mm seat post is not a problem because a
LBS sells 25 mm mtb posts. I could cut one of them down to use. The
final reason is that I liked the vintage looks of it.

At the moment $150 Canadian is about the limit to my frame budget. As
such I have not been considering a frame located in the US due to the
high shipping cost.

So, given all this info, particularly that I will not be spreading the
frame, do you still advise me to walk away from it?

My sincerest thanks and appreciation to all of you once again.

Peter

In article <[email protected]>,
Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I hope to combine all the info regarding this frame into one topic.
>
> I am about 180 lbs and am 55 years young.
>
> If I were to get such a frame it would be for recreational riding.
> Rides would be between 50 and 100 kilometres in length. I have hit
> speeds of 65 km/hour (@ 40 mph) on my old Miele road bike with the
> Tange Infinity tubing. A pic of it is here:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/199568357/

Nice bike.

> Now regarding that Vitus frame. It is made of Aluminium and is lugged.
> I do not know what model it is but the seller says it takes a 25mm
> seat post. In the hopes that the experts here would recognize the
> model of this bicycle I uploaded a number of images of this frame at:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/
>
> One of those images is a closeup of the bottom of the bottom bracket
> shell. Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/502481593/
>
> Can any one identify the frame quality or material from these images?

It's a Vitus 979, one of the most famous frame designs of the era. Also
one of the lightest, and reputationally one of the flexiest. Light guys
love these things. Designed in 1979.

Basically, this is _the_ frame people think of when they say "Vitus."
The company made tubing as well, but this Al frame made them famous.

It is worth noting that its 1997 successor, the Vitus 997, may actually
be heavier. That's not an indictment of the 997, but rather an
indication of how light the 979 is.

> Okay next. Due to the warnings from many of you *IF* I were to get
> this frame I *WOULD NOT* spread the rear triangle for a 130 mm wheel.
> I would either get a vintage 126 mm wheel or I would build up a 126 mm
> wheel using an old rebuilt hub or a NOS hub. Ican use 8 of my 9 nine
> speed gears on the 126 m hub so I do not have to worry about a new
> cassette and chain.
>
> Given that I will not be spreading the rear triangle would this still
> be considered a bad frame? I am looking for a lighter weight bicycle
> than my Miele but definitely can not afford either carbon fibre or a
> $500 Canadian new aluminium frame.

Yes, but you can afford this cheapo Nashbar aluminum frame:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&brand=&s
ku=6064&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Frames%2FBi
kes

The Nashbar Framé, regular price US$180, currently on sale for US$110 in
limited sizes.

A friend has this. It's a perfectly good frame.

> I was considering buying this Vitus frame for the $150 Canadian ($136
> US) because it comes with a Campy bottom bracket and headset and is
> close enough to me that I can go pick it up. The seller is willing to
> hold it for a few more days and I can get to him via inter-city bus
> for about $25 Canadian. Another consideration was that it takes normal
> reach brake calipers. The 25 mm seat post is not a problem because a
> LBS sells 25 mm mtb posts. I could cut one of them down to use. The
> final reason is that I liked the vintage looks of it.
>
> At the moment $150 Canadian is about the limit to my frame budget. As
> such I have not been considering a frame located in the US due to the
> high shipping cost.

My usual workaround is to use a receiver address just over the border.
Not knowing where you are, I can't advise you on who to use. In the
Vancouver area, I have been very happy with the job these guys do:

http://thelettercarrier.com

> So, given all this info, particularly that I will not be spreading the
> frame, do you still advise me to walk away from it?

That's a big frame. It's going to be flexy. It will be lighter than your
Miele, but I would caution you that it's not going to be that much
lighter. To what end do you wish to lose the (at most) pound or so you
are striving for?

For a lot of riders, the Vitus 979 is their dream frame. Most of these
riders are not very heavy or tall. Height exacerbates the problems
because the frame has to be bigger, and relatively speaking, spindlier.

If your frame budget is $150 and you already own a pretty nice Miele,
and this project is mostly a weight loss effort, I think it's
misdirected. The biggest problem is that the Vitus is a marginal design.

Ah, here's what I needed. Someone who has actually weighed a Vitus 979:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadframes

In 57cm, which is close to the size you're looking at, it weighs 1468g.

http://www.smartcycles.com/bike_weight.htm

Someone more knowledgeable than I will start making guesses here about
what your lugged Mieles weigh, but Surly's deliberately heavy frames
come in at about 2.2 kg in similar sizes.

If it was me? No.

On May 18, 9:36 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> and this project is mostly a weight loss effort, I think it's
> misdirected. The biggest problem is that the Vitus is a marginal design.
>
> Ah, here's what I needed. Someone who has actually weighed a Vitus 979:
>
> http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadfr...
>
> In 57cm, which is close to the size you're looking at, it weighs 1468g.
>
> http://www.smartcycles.com/bike_weight.htm
>
> Someone more knowledgeable than I will start making guesses here about
> what your lugged Mieles weigh, but Surly's deliberately heavy frames
> come in at about 2.2 kg in similar sizes.
>
> If it was me? No.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

I agree with Ryan about this. I'd suggest only getting a Vitus if you
want a Vitus and want to go retro for fun, not because you are looking
for a cheap frame. If you were lighter, it would be a different story.
I wouldn't be worried about it breaking, just being excessivly flexy
due to the narrow tubes. Of course you may like the flexible ride, so
who knows. There are plenty of cheap frames on eBay that even with
shipping to Canada and customs, etc would come out at the same price
(almost) but would be much stiffer than a Vitus and way lighter than
your current bike due to a more modern design with fatter aluminum
tubes. I have bought a few new sub $80 US frames on eBay that work
just fine.

Joseph

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> [...]

> because the frame has to be bigger, and relatively speaking,
> spindlier.
>
> If your frame budget is $150 and you already own a pretty nice Miele,
> and this project is mostly a weight loss effort, I think it's
> misdirected. The biggest problem is that the Vitus is a marginal
> design.
>
> Ah, here's what I needed. Someone who has actually weighed a Vitus
> 979:
>
> http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadframes
>
> In 57cm, which is close to the size you're looking at, it weighs
> 1468g.
>
> http://www.smartcycles.com/bike_weight.htm
>
> Someone more knowledgeable than I will start making guesses here about
> what your lugged Mieles weigh, but Surly's deliberately heavy frames
> come in at about 2.2 kg in similar sizes.

I think the better recent alu frame is the 992 (I don't know the 997,
referred to)
For a small rider, I happened to find this one, looking good :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Not a high price.

On May 18, 1:07 am, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
> Can any one identify the frame quality or material from these images?

It looks like a 979. I use to one one that was almost identical. The
difference
is that mine had a set screw holding the seat post, not the tabs your
frame
has. I think the set screw model is a later model.

> Given that I will not be spreading the rear triangle would this still
> be considered a bad frame? I am looking for a lighter weight bicycle
> than my Miele but definitely can not afford either carbon fibre or a
> $500 Canadian new aluminium frame.
> I was considering buying this Vitus frame for the $150 Canadian ($136
> US) because it comes with a Campy bottom bracket and headset and is
> close enough to me that I can go pick it up. The seller is willing to
> hold it for a few more days and I can get to him via inter-city bus
> for about $25 Canadian. Another consideration was that it takes normal
> reach brake calipers. The 25 mm seat post is not a problem because a
> LBS sells 25 mm mtb posts. I could cut one of them down to use. The
> final reason is that I liked the vintage looks of it.
> At the moment $150 Canadian is about the limit to my frame budget. As
> such I have not been considering a frame located in the US due to the
> high shipping cost.
> So, given all this info, particularly that I will not be spreading the
> frame, do you still advise me to walk away from it?

You may want to check out http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/ . He has
couple of frames for under $150 that might work for you. A Vitus
frame
in the larger sizes are quite flexible. I would wait for another
more
modern frame to pop up in your price range.
----------------
Alex

On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:29:41 +0200, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think the better recent alu frame is the 992 (I don't know the 997,
>referred to)
>For a small rider, I happened to find this one, looking good :
>
>http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
>
>Not a high price.

Unless my old eyes deceive me, this 992's top tube has a slight upward
bend right at the head tube joint. Anyone else see the bend?

I ride a 969 and at 140 lbs and 66 yrs, I can make it flex enough to
shift a gear on sprints & climbs. I also ride a 992--NO flex in it!

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Guy F. Anderson Sr. <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:29:41 +0200, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> I think the better recent alu frame is the 992 (I don't know the 997,
>> referred to)
>> For a small rider, I happened to find this one, looking good :
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
>>
>> Not a high price.

> Unless my old eyes deceive me, this 992's top tube has a slight upward
> bend right at the head tube joint. Anyone else see the bend?
>
> I ride a 969 and at 140 lbs and 66 yrs, I can make it flex enough to
> shift a gear on sprints & climbs. I also ride a 992--NO flex in it!

I had one - it's ovalized.

On May 18, 3:36 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi there.

> > I hope to combine all the info regarding this frame into one topic.

> > I am about 180 lbs and am 55 years young.

> > If I were to get such a frame it would be for recreational riding.
> > Rides would be between 50 and 100 kilometres in length. I have hit
> > speeds of 65 km/hour (@ 40 mph) on my old Miele road bike with the
> > Tange Infinity tubing. A pic of it is here:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/199568357/

> Nice bike.

Snipped:
> > Can any one identify the frame quality or material from these images?

> It's a Vitus 979, one of the most famous frame designs of the era. Also
> one of the lightest, and reputationally one of the flexiest. Light guys
> love these things. Designed in 1979.

Snipped to Ryan's reply:
> Yes, but you can afford this cheapo Nashbar aluminum frame:
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran....
> ku=6064&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Frames%2FBi
> kes
>
> The Nashbar Framé, regular price US$180, currently on sale for US$110 in
> limited sizes.
>
> A friend has this. It's a perfectly good frame.

Snipped:

> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

Hi Ryan and the rest. Thank you very much! Your advice is greatly
appreciated. The Vitus would have been okay when I was younger and
weighed 150 pounds but it is not suitable for me now.

Ryan. I looked at that Nashbar Frame you provided the link to. Alas it
is only instock in 48, 50 (too small for me) and 60 cm (too big for
me). :<( It looks like it needs a threadless headset and fork too.

Uh oh! The shipping page says (Frames and some larger items can not be
shipped outside the continental US)

Well I guess I will just have to continue looking.

Thanks again from Peter

On May 18, 5:19 pm, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 18, 3:36 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Hi there.

> > > I hope to combine all the info regarding this frame into one topic.

> > > I am about 180 lbs and am 55 years young.

> > > If I were to get such a frame it would be for recreational riding.
> > > Rides would be between 50 and 100 kilometres in length. I have hit
> > > speeds of 65 km/hour (@ 40 mph) on my old Miele road bike with the
> > > Tange Infinity tubing. A pic of it is here:

> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/199568357/

> > Nice bike.

> Snipped:
> > > Can any one identify the frame quality or material from these images?

> > It's a Vitus 979, one of the most famous frame designs of the era. Also
> > one of the lightest, and reputationally one of the flexiest. Light guys
> > love these things. Designed in 1979.

> Snipped to Ryan's reply:
>

> > Yes, but you can afford this cheapo Nashbar aluminum frame:

> >http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran...
> > ku=6064&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Frames%2FBi
> > kes

> > The Nashbar Framé, regular price US$180, currently on sale for US$110in
> > limited sizes.

> > A friend has this. It's a perfectly good frame.

> Snipped:
>
> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> > "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> > to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

> Hi Ryan and the rest. Thank you very much! Your advice is greatly
> appreciated. The Vitus would have been okay when I was younger and
> weighed 150 pounds but it is not suitable for me now.
>
> Ryan. I looked at that Nashbar Frame you provided the link to. Alas it
> is only instock in 48, 50 (too small for me) and 60 cm (too big for
> me). :<( It looks like it needs a threadless headset and fork too.
>
> Uh oh! The shipping page says (Frames and some larger items can not be
> shipped outside the continental US)

The problem with the cheap new aluminum frames is that they are _not_
flexy and will not have the comfort of the Vitus, and my steel frames-
a Colnago and a PX10- are neither as comfortable or as light as the
Vitus. I think that you would not be disappointed in the Vitus for the
type of riding you are planning to do. I think that the tendency for
phantom shifting has been exaggerated. I have maybe had that happen a
very few times sprinting on it, but I think it is attributable to
derailleur adjustment primarily and frame flex second. In other words,
if the derailleur had been adjusted right it would not have shifted.
IT IS POSSIBLE that the frame flex might make it more sensitive to
derailleur adjustment.

I wouldn't buy a Vitus for the weight savings alone, though. I bought
mine because my paved bike trail riding was more jarring than I liked,
and I wanted to try a cost effective solution that still retained the
essential characteristics of the racing bikes I have been riding for
the past 35 years.

Ironically, I just switched my mtb from aluminum to steel hardtail for
a similar reason- it is a cost effective way to get a light, more
comfotable ride without spending remotely close to what it costs for a
racing quality FS.

On May 18, 5:04 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 18, 5:19 pm, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 18, 3:36 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Nice bike.

> > Snipped:

> > > It's a Vitus 979, one of the most famous frame designs of the era. Also
> > > one of the lightest, and reputationally one of the flexiest. Light guys
> > > love these things. Designed in 1979.

> > Snipped to Ryan's reply:

> > > Yes, but you can afford this cheapo Nashbar aluminum frame:

> > >http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran...
> > > ku=6064&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Frames%2FBi
> > > kes

> > > The Nashbar Framé, regular price US$180, currently on sale for US$110 in
> > > limited sizes.

> > > A friend has this. It's a perfectly good frame.

> > Snipped:

> > > --
> > > Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> > > "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> > > to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

> > Hi Ryan and the rest. Thank you very much! Your advice is greatly
> > appreciated. The Vitus would have been okay when I was younger and
> > weighed 150 pounds but it is not suitable for me now.

> > Ryan. I looked at that Nashbar Frame you provided the link to. Alas it
> > is only instock in 48, 50 (too small for me) and 60 cm (too big for
> > me). :<( It looks like it needs a threadless headset and fork too.

> > Uh oh! The shipping page says (Frames and some larger items can not be
> > shipped outside the continental US)

> The problem with the cheap new aluminum frames is that they are _not_
> flexy and will not have the comfort of the Vitus, and my steel frames-
> a Colnago and a PX10- are neither as comfortable or as light as the
> Vitus.

The flex of the Vitus 979, especially in the larger sizes, was an
*unwanted byproduct* of the choice of materials, tube dimensions, etc.
Vitus worked to eliminate the flex in later frame models.

> I think that you would not be disappointed in the Vitus for the
> type of riding you are planning to do. I think that the tendency for
> phantom shifting has been exaggerated. I have maybe had that happen a
> very few times sprinting on it, but I think it is attributable to
> derailleur adjustment primarily and frame flex second. In other words,
> if the derailleur had been adjusted right it would not have shifted.
> IT IS POSSIBLE that the frame flex might make it more sensitive to
> derailleur adjustment.

"Frame flex might make [the frame] more sensitive to derailleur
adjustment." That is certainly a novel way of looking at the issue!

> I wouldn't buy a Vitus for the weight savings alone, though. I bought
> mine because my paved bike trail riding was more jarring than I liked,
> and I wanted to try a cost effective solution that still retained the
> essential characteristics of the racing bikes I have been riding for
> the past 35 years.

So the Vitus came so cheap that it cost less than lowering your tire
pressure and/or fitting slightly larger tires? ;-)

On May 18, 7:31 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 18, 5:24 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 18, 5:04 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > The problem with the cheap new aluminum frames is that they are _not_
> > > flexy and will not have the comfort of the Vitus, and my steel frames-
> > > a Colnago and a PX10- are neither as comfortable or as light as the
> > > Vitus.

> > The flex of the Vitus 979, especially in the larger sizes, was an
> > *unwanted byproduct* of the choice of materials, tube dimensions, etc.
> > Vitus worked to eliminate the flex in later frame models.

> You may be right about that, but another "unwanted byproduct" is the
> fact that it is a better shock absorber than most steel frames, either
> before or since. Personally, I think it's not so clear that the flex
> actually causes all the problems attributed to it, but if people are
> told it has flex they will complain about it and blame their own
> deficiencies (including maintenance) on it, regardless of whether it
> has any real effect on their cycling. It's not even clear to me from
> discussions on this ng whether flex has been proven to be a negative-
> there is an argument that it stores energy (not that I'm saying that
> it does- I have no idea).
>
> > > I think that you would not be disappointed in the Vitus for the
> > > type of riding you are planning to do. I think that the tendency for
> > > phantom shifting has been exaggerated. I have maybe had that happen a
> > > very few times sprinting on it, but I think it is attributable to
> > > derailleur adjustment primarily and frame flex second. In other words,
> > > if the derailleur had been adjusted right it would not have shifted.
> > > IT IS POSSIBLE that the frame flex might make it more sensitive to
> > > derailleur adjustment.

> > "Frame flex might make [the frame] more sensitive to derailleur
> > adjustment." That is certainly a novel way of looking at the issue!

> Novel and correct.

What else could you say, eh?

> Frame flex would, as I said in an earlier post,
> cause a bike to be more sensitive to narrower cog spacing, or as I
> said above, derailleur adjustment. If adjustment is not exactly right
> it would be more likely to shift from an extraneous force. That is
> true of any bicycle, and if the bike flexes more than average it would
> be more of a problem than average. Based on my experience, I don't
> think it is a significant issue; I would say that it is almost
> unnoticeable. I'm pretty bad about bike maintenance, and I am
> reasonably strong for my age, and I think it's not a problem. If I
> were still racing, I'd maybe look at it differently, but it's also my
> opinion that for a lot of racing the fatigue caused by road surface is
> probably more important, perhaps much more important, than the
> stiffness of the bottom bracket.
>
> > > I wouldn't buy a Vitus for the weight savings alone, though. I bought
> > > mine because my paved bike trail riding was more jarring than I liked,
> > > and I wanted to try a cost effective solution that still retained the
> > > essential characteristics of the racing bikes I have been riding for
> > > the past 35 years.

> > So the Vitus came so cheap that it cost less than lowering your tire
> > pressure and/or fitting slightly larger tires? ;-)

> When I first wrote the above I actually had a parenthetical comment
> that I deleted on edit, "so don't suggest that I should get fat tires"
> but then I figured that by saying "essential characteristics of the
> racing bikes" it would be obvious that I wasn't interested in a
> tourist's solution to the problem. But there's always gotta be
> one. . .

> And, btw, since I already ride tubulars, I use relatively low tire
> pressure. It doesn't matter; all other things being equal, the Vitus
> is a more comfortable ride than steel racing frames, at least the ones
> I've ridden.

And, BTW, this is one of those contentions that just beg to be put to
a "blind frame test". See if more votes come in for "flexy/noodly" v.
"comfortable".

"Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there.
>
> I hope to combine all the info regarding this frame into one topic.
>
> I am about 180 lbs and am 55 years young.

The frame you're considering is a Vitus 979. I own 2 of them. Even in a
50cm frame size they are noticeably more flexible than my other bikes, but
they are a pleasure to ride. Despite the sway of the bottom bracket as you
are climbing out of the saddle, they my favorite climbing bikes. I have
descended on a 979 at 75km/hr on a steep windy road (30km/hr speed limit!)
and the bike seemed OK, although I have other bikes I would have felt much
more secure on.

However, in frame sizes larger than mine, the flex might be a distraction,
or cause unwanted front derailleur shifts. However, I built up a 979 for a
pal that rides the 56cm frame, and he loves it. But he is light, and rides
at high pedal RPMs.

OK- to your questions. I would not buy a 979 in larger sizes. I would not
try to spread its rear triangle. I would be worried about separating the
stays from the brake bridge. I would generally not buy a used 979 period,
unless I had the chance to test ride it for several days.

And finally if I wanted a good but cheap bike frame, I would buy Nashbar's
road frame for $110 US dollars. Even better is their 'cross frame. I
bought one of their road frames in 2003, and it turned into a fine bike. I
rode it for 50km today. Nashbar will not ship frames to Canada. Ship it to
a PO box just across the border, and then pick it up. You'll still save
money. But this approach applies to buying not just bike stuff but pretty
much all hard goods; unfortunate but true.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there.

> >> Now regarding that Vitus frame. It is made of Aluminium and is
> >> lugged. I do not know what model it is but the seller says it takes
> >> a 25mm seat post. In the hopes that the experts here would recognize
> >> the model of this bicycle I uploaded a number of images of this
> >> frame at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/
> >>
> >> One of those images is a closeup of the bottom of the bottom bracket
> >> shell. Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/502481593/
> >>
> >> Can any one identify the frame quality or material from these images?

> > It's a Vitus 979, one of the most famous frame designs of the era.
> > Also one of the lightest, and reputationally one of the flexiest.
> > Light guys love these things. Designed in 1979.
> >
> > Basically, this is _the_ frame people think of when they say "Vitus."
> > The company made tubing as well, but this Al frame made them famous.
> >
> > It is worth noting that its 1997 successor, the Vitus 997, may
> > actually be heavier. That's not an indictment of the 997, but rather
> > an indication of how light the 979 is.

> I think the better recent alu frame is the 992 (I don't know the 997,
> referred to)
> For a small rider, I happened to find this one, looking good :
>
> http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290117291684&indexURL=0&phot
> oDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
>
> Not a high price.

Hi Sandy, quite right about the 992. I blew a number :(.

That 992 you found is interesting, not least because I have only seen
the 992 as a fully painted frame (and from a bit of googling, that seems
far more common).

But all frames on eBay are cheap with six days to go....

On May 18, 8:43 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 18, 7:31 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> And, BTW, this is one of those contentions that just beg to be put to
> a "blind frame test". See if more votes come in for "flexy/noodly" v.
> "comfortable".

That's an excellent idea, especially if you don't let on that the 979
is one of the frames and compare it against a fat-tubed welded
aluminum bike. Tell the testers that they are comparing two of the
latest high tech composite frames.

On May 19, 12:30 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 18, 8:43 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 18, 7:31 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> > And, BTW, this is one of those contentions that just beg to be put to
> > a "blind frame test". See if more votes come in for "flexy/noodly" v.
> > "comfortable".

> That's an excellent idea, especially if you don't let on that the 979
> is one of the frames and compare it against a fat-tubed welded
> aluminum bike. Tell the testers that they are comparing two of the
> latest high tech composite frames.

Tube diameter diffs make that test difficult to make 'blind'.

OTOH, with a little duct tape at the joints, we could let folks
'blindly' compare one of those "harsh" 531 frames (like your PX-10)
with that "oh-so-comfy" Vitus 979. Same wheels, tires, PSI, etc.,
etc., etc. Let's include lotsa steep climbs and descents in the test,
just for yuks.

On May 19, 2:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 19, 12:30 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On May 18, 8:43 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > On May 18, 7:31 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> > > And, BTW, this is one of those contentions that just beg to be put to
> > > a "blind frame test". See if more votes come in for "flexy/noodly" v.
> > > "comfortable".

> > That's an excellent idea, especially if you don't let on that the 979
> > is one of the frames and compare it against a fat-tubed welded
> > aluminum bike. Tell the testers that they are comparing two of the
> > latest high tech composite frames.

> Tube diameter diffs make that test difficult to make 'blind'.

Obviously. So does the 979's unique glued construction. Even Alans
have those tell-tale rivets. But you're the one who suggested a blind
test, so I thought I would play along with the fantasy.

> OTOH, with a little duct tape at the joints, we could let folks
> 'blindly' compare one of those "harsh" 531 frames (like your PX-10)
> with that "oh-so-comfy" Vitus 979. Same wheels, tires, PSI, etc.,
> etc., etc. Let's include lotsa steep climbs and descents in the test,
> just for yuks.

Sure. And make sure that the road is perfectly smooth and recently
resurfaced, because we want it to be a fair test, right? My opinion is
that the people that have trouble with the Vitus on a descent will
have trouble with anything you put them on. The Vitus has _very_ quick
handling and it requires precision. (I think climbing on a Vitus is a
non-issue as long as you don't exceed the 180lbs and 57cm frame of the
OP.) But I'm not suggesting than anyone should buy a Vitus for
downhill racing; I'm suggesting that they might want to consider it as
a cost effective alternative to much more expensive frames if they are
not going to use them under the extreme conditions of massed start
road racing and they want to make their ride more comfortable. The OP
has already stated that his riding does not include the type that you
would bias the test toward.