vitus frame with frozen parts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cpleman, May 27, 2004.

  1. cpleman

    cpleman New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2004
    Hey! Anybody out there know how to get steel seat post screw out of the aluminum lug. Same with the handle bars. The post is frozen into the fork. Ive tried all the spray anti seize stuff and a lot of muscle with no success. Am nervous about excess heat on the lugs etc but willing to give it a go if this is what makes things loose. This is a vitus 979 aluminum frame and fork and is worth salvaging if I can get the seat post and handle bars free. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Hey! Anybody out there know how to get steel seat post
    > screw out of
    the
    > aluminum lug.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

    "cpleman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey! Anybody out there know how to get steel seat post
    > screw out of
    the
    > aluminum lug. Same with the handle bars. The post is
    > frozen into the fork. Ive tried all the spray anti seize
    > stuff and a lot of muscle
    with
    > no success. Am nervous about excess heat on the lugs etc
    > but willing
    > give it a go if this is what makes things loose. This is a
    > vitus 979 aluminum frame and fork and is worth salvaging
    > if I can get the seat post and handle bars free. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

    > --

  3. Gonzo Bob

    Gonzo Bob New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Heating won't work for the stem. The stem is aluminum but the fork steer tube is steel (only the fork legs and crown are aluminum). Aluminum expands faster than steel so heating will only wedge the stem in tighter.

    After a couple of winters of riding my Vitus 979 on an indoor trainer about 10 years ago, I found that the stem was stuck in the fork. I turned the bike upside down and dribbled Liquid Wrench into the bottom side of the steer tube and let it soak for a full day. Then I put the bike back into my trainer which holds the bike by the fork and twisted the handlebars side-to-side until they broke loose.

  4. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >> Hey! Anybody out there know how to get steel seat post
    >> screw out of
    >the
    >> aluminum lug.
    >
    >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

    Doesn't really apply. I believe the original poster has a
    Vitus with the set screw seat post adjusment and he's trying
    to get the set screw out. Phil Brown

  5. Jp

    Jp Guest

    cpleman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey! Anybody out there know how to get steel seat post
    > screw out of the aluminum lug. Same with the handle bars.
    > The post is frozen into the fork. Ive tried all the spray
    > anti seize stuff and a lot of muscle with no success. Am
    > nervous about excess heat on the lugs etc but willing to
    > give it a go if this is what makes things loose. This is a
    > vitus 979 aluminum frame and fork and is worth salvaging
    > if I can get the seat post and handle bars free. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

    Is the grub screw allen socket stripped/rounded? If not,
    then I would try a quality allen socket or a quality allen
    wrench with something to use as a cheater bar and apply more
    force. If you strip the allen socket that will be where you
    atart to drill it out to use a bolt puller, but as long as
    the bolt is not stripped you haven't exhausted the
    possibility of force. The screw seems like pretty hard steel
    to me and I think it might stand a lot before the socket is
    stripped out. (One thing is that once you have drilled out
    the allen bolt the seat post should come out, because the
    grub screw point sticking into the post is what holds it in
    place. Doesn't get the screw out, though.)

    I wouldn't use heat. You could try calling CycleSport in
    Media, PA at 610 565-9535. They do Vitus repair and might be
    able to tell you whether the glue will withstand the heat of
    a hairdryer or if they have some other advice. They can also
    reglue your frame if it comes apart.

    I thought the advice about using the trainer on the stem was
    good. Alternatively, put a wheel in the fork, and, of
    course, handlebars in the stem for leverage. It's the old
    wheel-between-your-legs and twist on the handlebars. You can
    apply quite a bit of torque that way.

    JP

  6. H

    H Guest

    cpleman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey! Anybody out there know how to get steel seat post
    > screw out of the aluminum lug.

    I got my seatpost screw out by repeated applications of WD33
    + local heating with a small soldering iron (carefull to
    heat only a small area, or you may cook the glue that holds
    the tubes to the lug).