Vitus Frameset

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Tags:

  2. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Found this Vitus frameset (1990) on eBay -- anyone know anything about
    > these? I've heard things about the bondings separating, how common are such
    > failures?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7105692579

    IIRC they had reputation for going floppy as well. Shame I always
    lusted after one.

    Stan Cox

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Stan Cox wrote:

    > IIRC they had reputation for going floppy as well. Shame I always
    > lusted after one.

    Is the floppiness as a result of the bonding going?

  4. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > Stan Cox wrote:
    >

    >>IIRC they had reputation for going floppy as well. Shame I always
    >>lusted after one.

    > Is the floppiness as a result of the bonding going?

    Simon
    More just a case of loss of rigidity through use. the frame would
    still be stuck well enough. Just nowhere near as fun to ride.

    Stan Cox

  5. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Stan Cox wrote:

    > More just a case of loss of rigidity through use. the frame would
    > still be stuck well enough. Just nowhere near as fun to ride.

    Oh dear. A bit of a lemon then.

  6. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > Stan Cox wrote:
    >

    >> More just a case of loss of rigidity through use. the frame would
    >>still be stuck well enough. Just nowhere near as fun to ride.

    > Oh dear. A bit of a lemon then.

    I would definately not go that far. When new they were a bloody good
    racing frame for the first couple of years after purchase. I would not
    base any decision just on my say so but listen to other peoples
    opinions as well.

    Stan Cox

  7. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Simonb wrote:
    >
    >> Stan Cox wrote:
    >>

    >>> More just a case of loss of rigidity through use. the frame would
    >>>still be stuck well enough. Just nowhere near as fun to ride.

    >> Oh dear. A bit of a lemon then.
    >>

    > I would definately not go that far. When new they were a bloody good
    > racing frame for the first couple of years after purchase. I would not
    > base any decision just on my say so but listen to other peoples opinions
    > as well.

    I think that the "sloppy-after-two-years" thing was a bit of a myth. There
    was an amusing story years ago about a team which was "re-equipped" after
    it's riders complained about frames going mushy; the riders were really
    pleased with their "new" frames, which were actually just the old ones
    resprayed! Not actually about Vitus, but illustrates the point...

    I used one of these, and found it a very tough, responsive frame. Very
    light, although I personally preferred steel frames because of their
    "springier" feel.

    The frame in question is quite old, of course, and any frame of that age
    *could* be suspect; however, at the current price I'd have thought it a good
    buy.

  8. RogerDodger

    RogerDodger New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2004
    I got a vitus in early 1986. After a few years nd after clocking up a reasonable mileage (I'd guess about 15,000+ miles per year) I had an un-nerving experience. I was competing in a swim tri and early on in the bike section (somewhat obviously) the bike went wobbly on me. I applied the brakes (coz this wobbly feeling was such that the bike wasn't ride-able) - big mistake - that only made it worse. Anyway I had to rely on natural slowing down while I looked for the safety of the grass verge. What had happened was the top tube had come apart in the glue joint with the head tube just above the gear levers. I tried re-glueing it back with the addition of a kevlar fibreglass sleeve - that lasted for another year or two before it came apart again. I didn't enjoy the prospect of a failure occuring at speed - like say on a fast downhill at 70-80kph. Other than that the Vitus was nice to ride.

    Roger

  9. RogerDodger

    RogerDodger New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2004
    I found my Vitus most definitely got sloppy (and I have no doubt about it).
    The test I used to verify that it was indeed sloppy was to stand alongside the bike holding the seat with one hand and the bars with the other - put my foot on the crank at the bb axle apush to see how much lateral excursion could be generated - result heaps - and this was also done on other bikes like my original TI Raleigh, for comparison. A similar test was done while stationary, sitting on the bike and with the front brake applied and pushing down on the pedal observing the bottom bracket deflection. I found that the performance while cornering was not what I'd call confidence inspiring - particularly on a bumpy surface the sloppiness of the frame made me feel most uneasy about attempting to corner fast (I never liked criterium races anyway). The sloppiness seemed to me to make the bike handle unpredictably on bumpy corners.

    I wouldn't buy another except as a museum piece.
    Roger

  10. Simonb wrote:

    > Found this Vitus frameset (1990) on eBay -- anyone know anything about
    > these? I've heard things about the bondings separating, how common are such
    > failures?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7105692579

    Sean Kelly used to ride one of those. They're a bit "noodly" because
    aluminium isn't very stiff in those tube diameters. For the same
    reason, fatigue life is a lot shorter than a fat-tubed bike. Unless
    it's hardly ever been ridden, I'd leave it.

  11. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Stan Cox wrote:
    >
    > > IIRC they had reputation for going floppy as well. Shame I always
    > > lusted after one.

    > Is the floppiness as a result of the bonding going?

    The result of small diameter aluminium tubes IIRC, not good for fatigue
    life.

    Pete

  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    RogerDodger wrote:

    > I found my Vitus most definitely got sloppy (and I have no doubt about
    > it).

    How did it get sloppy?

    > The test I used to verify that it was indeed sloppy was to stand
    > alongside the bike holding the seat with one hand and the bars with
    > the other - put my foot on the crank at the bb axle apush to see how
    > much lateral excursion could be generated - result heaps

    How did you compare it it how it was before?

    ~PB

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  14. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Stan Cox wrote:
    >

    >>IIRC they had reputation for going floppy as well. Shame I always
    >>lusted after one.

    > Frames "going soft":
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8e.5.html
    >
    > ~PB

    Arrgh, my entire life is a lie :) Vitus were making bonded thin tubes
    alu bikes when everyone else couldnt. The percieved sloppiness could
    well be due to the bonding. All I am doing is reporting several
    friends experiences.

    Stan Cox

  15. Stan Cox wrote:

    > Arrgh, my entire life is a lie :) Vitus were making bonded thin tubes
    > alu bikes when everyone else couldnt. The percieved sloppiness could
    > well be due to the bonding.

    No, it's simply because aluminium is 1/3 as stiff as steel. Modern alu
    frames have fat tubes to restore stiffness (and, just as importantly,
    improve the fatigue life of the frame - alu doesn't like flexing).

  16. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Zog The Undeniable [email protected] opined the following...
    > and, just as importantly,
    > improve the fatigue life of the frame - alu doesn't like flexing.

    Duck. Everybody run for cover. ;-)

    Jon

  17. On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:05:36 +0100, "Simonb"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Found this Vitus frameset (1990) on eBay -- anyone know anything about
    >these? I've heard things about the bondings separating, how common are such
    >failures?
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7105692579

    I raced on a Vitus in 89 and 90 and it was a fabulous bike. Really
    light and responsive, and great even for a non-climber like me seemed
    good on the hills. I'm small though (50cm frame) and I'd say the
    "floppy" comments tend to apply to bigger frames

    Regards!
    Stephen