Vitus threading question

J. F. Parnell

Guest
Hi,

Does anyone know if all Vitus frames are threaded the
same way? I have owned a Vitus (979 tubing, of mid-1980's
vintage) up until this morning, when the top tube
cracked. I'd like to simply replace the frame with
another used Vitus frame, since I've been given to
understand that the threading on these frames is a little
idiosyncratic and other frames may not fit my components.
Can anyone tell me if I can safely buy any Vitus frame
and expect it to fit my stuff?

Thanks, Chris

"J. F. Parnell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Does anyone know if all Vitus frames are threaded the same
> way? I have owned a Vitus (979 tubing, of mid-1980's
> vintage) up until this morning, when the top tube cracked.
> I'd like to simply replace the frame with another used
> Vitus frame, since I've been given to understand that the
> threading on these frames is a little idiosyncratic and
> other frames may not fit my components. Can anyone tell me
> if I can safely buy any Vitus frame and expect it to fit
> my stuff?

The only thing that you might worry about is the bottom
bracket threading. I have seen both Italian and English
threading but so what? Bottom brackets are cheap and
available everywhere.

There were two methods of set post fixing - a clamp and a
set screw. The clamp is much better because the set screw
has to be set right the first time and it makes a
countersink in the seatpost. Therefore you can't easily
readjust it a small amount.

BTW, there are several 992's around and these are all hell
and gone better bikes for around the same money. The
seatpost is set screw and is a 25.2 instead of 25.0.
Otherwise everything will move right across.