vivente road bikes

asterope

Jun 6, 2006
morning all :) this is my first post to the aussie forums :)

im looking at buying my first road bike, mostly for fitness and maybe group rides down the track, and to keep my endurance levels up for when i have time to go off road!

i have been to many and varied bike shops, and seen and tried many and varied bikes... the biggest problem is fit (im a 5'4", petite female with a longer torso and shorter legs) and the second problem is price!

So i found the vivente rosa road bike....
that fits me perfectly, very comfortable to sit on and with just the right amount of length to the bars... WSD so the brakes and shifters are closer to the bars and its easy for me to reach them. The bike has carbon forks and a carbon seat post, and tiagra groupset.

The price is great too... the bike shop is doing me a deal of the bike, shoes, pedals, and accessories for just over a grand. to me this sounds like a pretty good deal for a starter roadie. A friend of mine who has been riding road bikes for years thinks its a very good deal.

the bike looks pretty solid and well made, so im leaning towards it rather than a trek or giant, or the schwinn fastback comp road bike that i tried out, which are all much more expensive.

so has anyone had any experience with vivente? ive only found 2 reviews online, and the one for the rosa road bike was very good. i know they are a small, new local company so is it worth a try?

thanks muchly in advance for all your help/advice/sympathy ;)

Certainly looks nice...

http://www.womenscycling.com.au/inform.php?a=5&b=25&c=293

vivente%20rosa.jpg

I have the Vivente Novara Sport, which is the most basic of the Vivente road bikes and a flat bar as opposed to your drop bar bike.

I enjoy riding it very much, the only criticism I would have is that I find the frame a little stiff, but the Rosa has a double butted frame with carbon forks, so I would expect it to ride a little better.

I reckon they are very good bikes for the money, and if I didn't already have a frame at home that I'm about to build up into a complete bike, I would probably go for the Rosa myself.
smile.gif

yep, going the size SM (52cm). getting paid tommorow so i might have a little present to take home and make study breaks more productive :D

quite looking forward to having a bike that will make the hilly inner suburbs of brisbane a breeze...

You should have a try at the SUB brand. Its a Sarah Ulmer Brand bike, named after the former track champion, now road racer. They're designed specifically for women, and will feature geomtry catered for the fairer sex and of course women specific saddles. May be a bit more pricey than what you are after, but well worth the look.

had a look at the SUB bikes... very schmick, but also very $$$.

just want a cheapie road bike so i can spend more on a schmick MTB later on :D

Hi, That sounds like a very good deal! I had a look at the viventi range as well, as they were in my price range, but ended up going for an avanti carbonio for a little extra. I also looked at heaps of bike shops to make sure i got the bike that was right for me! It pays to do your homework!!!Sounds like you have done that too!! Anyway I was also leaning toward a viventi they have nice lines ,they look great and for the deal you got it sounds like you can't go wrong ! all the best.
Bayrunner,

so last night i went to gap cycles and bought the rosa! took their time fitting me properly and making sure i had everything i needed, great friendly staff and customer service... and some very amazing bikes! (spent alot of time perving at the intense m3... which probably weighs about the same as i do! what a monster!!)

just took my new bike out for a very short spin (up and down the road and round a few neighbouring roads) and apart from a wobbly start (having to go down a hill on your first time ever on a road bike is a bit freaky!) i can say that it was a very enjoyable little ride! getting used to the shifters and brakes being together was a bit weird, and getting all wobbly on the drop bars was also rather fun, and wobbling around something wicked on the climb back up the hill to my house... i didnt fall off so thats a bonus!

i think im going to have a ball just learning how to ride this bike!!

im taking it up the coast with me this weekend, slightly flatter (and faster!) roads to practice on, and not so much traffic.

Sounds great! All I can say is ENJOY!! I live in sandgate , it's a great place for a ride along the waterfront then over to Redcliffe over the bridge, a lot of riders in this area on the weekends go for a spin along the bay! Might run into you one day! { not literally lol} Anyway all the best!
Bayrunner!

bayrunner said:
Sounds great! All I can say is ENJOY!! I live in sandgate , it's a great place for a ride along the waterfront then over to Redcliffe over the bridge, a lot of riders in this area on the weekends go for a spin along the bay! Might run into you one day! { not literally lol} Anyway all the best!
Bayrunner!

thanks bayrunner:)
i dont doubt i will run into you one day... ive finally got a bike that i can do the epic city-redcliffe mission ive been planning to do for the last 2 years!

once ive gotten used to everything, i might join in some local rides... be good fun :)

Goodluck with your new ride. I will be interested what you think of the Roadie versus a MTB in a few weeks. I got my first roadie at the beginning of the year. Went through the same things you did getting use to the road bike - I would look over my shoulder and find the bike had zipped into the middle of the road!

I was always worried about whether I would find the road bike comfortable. To be honest, I find sitting on the hoods with the road bike more comfortable than the MTB. I still commute each day on the MTB but it is like driving a truck compared to the roadie.

Let us know how you go.

Its been a pleasure reading the thread and sharing your excitement. I hope this is the start of something big for you!

yeah it is nice to hear someone getting into cycling and enjoying it. now you just have to manage the sleepless nights when the tour de france is on. i hope your boss is a cyclist too and understands. ;)

the bike you bought looks like very good value for money.

super dog said:
yeah it is nice to hear someone getting into cycling and enjoying it. now you just have to manage the sleepless nights when the tour de france is on. i hope your boss is a cyclist too and understands. ;)

the bike you bought looks like very good value for money.
a quick update on my progress with the bike and if anyone is interested about one later on...

ive been spending some quality time with the rosa (which includes getting used to cleats and falling off!) and last weekend did the city-redcliffe return mission i always planned to do.
the bike is comfortable, its light and nimble, and i dont feel like im going to lose my cool when im flying down that twisty downhill bit of waterworks rd at 55km/h (i think its called responsive!) no noodling or shaky rides. surprisingly, i find the saddle quite comfortable.
the brakes and shifters are in the perfect position for me to reach them with my small hands. i do find the shifting on the front rings a bit fiddly, but that could just be my haste to get to the next ring (i dont hold the shifter over long enough) or it hasnt been worn in yet... still a few weeks from my first service and im starting to notice those gear subtleties, so hopefully that can get sorted. the brakes work well and its GREAT on hills!

compared to the mountain bike... i do find it more comfortable on the hoods of the roadie compared to the mountain bike, and the choice of hand positions really helps when your arms get a bit sore :D i dont have to do that silly elbows bent splayed to the side when i want to fang down a twisty road... the drops are much more comfortable!

infact, i havent taken the MTB out since i got the roadie! im going to sell the MTB as im not using it to commute anymore and i could use the extra $$ to go towards that yeti 575 i have my eye on ;)

ive had a few comments on the look of the bike too, which i wasnt expecting! all in all, for the price i paid for the bike, i am MORE than happy, and can certainly recommend it to any smaller riders that are looking for a decently priced roadie.
comparable to the features on bikes from trek, giant and felt that i was also looking at, for the same/similar retail price ($1299) its got more carbon, its lighter and has better components, and clipless pedals. if you hunt around, you might get lucky and get it for much cheaper :D

For the history of vivente, it is actually a very new brand of bicycles released into the Australian (and probably NZ) market by Gemini Bicycles with an Italian sounding name to give it the appeal of an exotic foreign racer (like a Pinarello).

They are located in the affordable end of the road bike market and are aimed towards a recreational and entry level rider.

As with all new bikes, ensure you have a good guarantee / warrantee, check the frame carefully upon purchase, equire whether they have properly set it up, tested the brakes, tuned the gears and see if you have a 'free' checkup (for example) 5000 Km or three months down the track. The other stuff you have done already, like finding the right frame size. Enjoy.

Cheers
Christopher

Hi again, Glad to hear you did the Redcliffe run on the new bike!! It does'nt take long for the bike bug to bite does it! lol. It sounds like you are really enjoying the new bike ! thats great! Iv'e just clicked over 250 ks on my newbie and now im thinking of doing a ride to Samford, up over the hills from sandgate through brendale, albany creek etc. I tried this ride a few months ago , got to the third big hill and decided to turn back, im not sure if its a sin to get off the bike halfway up a hill but it was climb off or fall off lol. PHEW, it was not as easy as i thought it was going to be! I went with two other people and i think we started off too fast!! Still we did 65 ks that day so i was happy. Ive just had the bikes first service and it's running like a dream! I'll keep an eye out for you in the future, i'll be looking for the red flash going past ,lol, once again all the best , Hope you enjoyed the redcliffe ride , it's great by the bay!

Bayrunner:)