Vivente World Randonneur

pubtourer

May 9, 2006
At the risk of starting another "which is the best touring bike?" thread, I'd be grateful for any experience/opinions on the Vivente World Randonneur. This bike started life as a Gemini in the 1980s and was more recently badged Mongoose.

It comes well spec'd at AUD1,750, including Tubus racks front and rear, mudguards, dynamo hub and STI shifters:

http://www.viventebikes.com//product/cid/6/category/WORLD RANDONNEUR/parent/0/t/product

The hub is not much of a drawcard for me as battery operated LEDs are so good and cheap these days, I wonder why they bothered. Is the hub likely to give any problems in terms of wheel strength and spokes?

Not sure about the sloping top tube either - any thoughts?

The other choice is the Surly LHT. It is available here as a "complete" bike for about AUD1,500 but by time you add mud guards, pedals and rack etc, it comes to a bit more that the Vivente. It certainly looks more like a classical touring bike. Unfortunately, I have not been able to ride one. I know that it has a keen following.

One key difference is the bar-end vs STI shifters. I would be happy to use bar-ends but have never owned a bike with STI.

Of course the Trek 520 is another possibility but at AUD2000 for the basic bike, I don't think that it represents the same value and the Vivinte and Surly. Have also looked at and riden a Fuji but found it relatively cheaply spec'd compared to the others.

All contributions welcome!

Thanks

I've toured extensively on the Mongoose aluminium framed version for several years.
Although, its basically a good touring bike. I eventually fitted straight bars, two bigger rear cogs, longer reach rear derailleur, mudguards and pannier racks.
The frame is very rigid and transmits a lot of vibration and stress to my arms and upper body.
My old steel framed hack is much kinder to me physically, so I would dearly like to fit a Vivente Chromo frame to the Randonneur.
As you say, the front dyno hub and lighting system is totally superflous.
I have emailed Vivente several times suggesting how they could make a better touring bike, but they believe in their own hype, and don't bother to reply.

Thanks for the reply.

Since my post, my touring mate and I have each bought the Vivente and we are both delighted with our choice. They are a really comfortable and solid touring bike.

Like you I used to tour on an Al frame - a Rayleigh Oversized Aluminium - and found it very harsh in comparison with the CrMo steel frame.

Whilst I could never justify the cost of the dynamo hub and lights for the small amount of night riding that I do, I have to say that they are fantastic - see by rather than been seen.

The only possible downside of their standard spec is the relatively tall gearing. I love the tall top gear (can comfortably pedal to 70km/h) but find myself in bottom gear rather too quickly on the hills.

Happy touring

pubtourer said:
Thanks for the reply.

Since my post, my touring mate and I have each bought the Vivente and we are both delighted with our choice. They are a really comfortable and solid touring bike.

Like you I used to tour on an Al frame - a Rayleigh Oversized Aluminium - and found it very harsh in comparison with the CrMo steel frame.

Whilst I could never justify the cost of the dynamo hub and lights for the small amount of night riding that I do, I have to say that they are fantastic - see by rather than been seen.

The only possible downside of their standard spec is the relatively tall gearing. I love the tall top gear (can comfortably pedal to 70km/h) but find myself in bottom gear rather too quickly on the hills.

Happy touring
Would you mind pricing a Cromo frame in Australia for me?
Although Vivente have agents in NZ - I haven't seen any stocked in the Auckland area , where I live.

cyclemanx said:
Would you mind pricing a Cromo frame in Australia for me?
Although Vivente have agents in NZ - I haven't seen any stocked in the Auckland area , where I live.
Hi,

I have just received the following response from the Vivente distributor ( [email protected] ):

It is my intention to offer a frame and fork package - probably late in 2009.

Which probably means that it is coming but don't hold your breath.

I am sorry to post on the wrong thread. Why I am posting introduction here? I could not found the introduction thread. I just joined this community and do not want to go out without posting any comments. I have decided to become the permananet member of this useful community. My name is jack and I work in a wireless internet company in New York. I am studying master of computer sciences.