Vline - bicycles free

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by neuroinf, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. neuroinf

    neuroinf Guest

    I fronted up today to get a Vline ticket for me plus bicycle. After
    much searching for the new code to charge for bicycles, and ringing up,
    it seems policy has changed. Bicycles now travel free.

    They advise to avoid peak periods with bicycles, but that is not too
    hard.

    I haven't tried the new trains with bicycle. Is it difficult?

    Tags:

  2. ray

    ray Guest

    neuroinf wrote:
    > I fronted up today to get a Vline ticket for me plus bicycle. After
    > much searching for the new code to charge for bicycles, and ringing up,
    > it seems policy has changed. Bicycles now travel free.
    >
    > They advise to avoid peak periods with bicycles, but that is not too
    > hard.
    >
    > I haven't tried the new trains with bicycle. Is it difficult?

    Hello,
    This is news to everyone. V/Line have been a bit lackadaisical about
    charging for bikes on some trips I've been on, when reporting to Spencer
    St on the way out (I should say Southern Cross, but the hell with it) I
    normally identify that I'm taking a bike, and have previously coughed
    $3.60 each way for it.
    V/Line has been charging for bikes since the beginning of recorded
    V/Line history, the charge was $2.00 in 1979. Has inflation been around
    80 per cent in that period? Someone have a shot at that.
    If V/Line has decided not to charge for bikes full stop, this would be a
    major break with rail tradition, virtually all Australian non-suburban
    rail systems charge a nominal fee for cartage of bicycles, or have until
    now.
    For the record, V/Line proposed in 1988 a scheme called CyclePass, where
    regular cyclists would purchase a summer `season ticket' for selves and
    bicycles, and recieve 40 per cent off their passenger fares. This one
    never got off the drawing board, but cutting the fare by $7.20 should
    encourage things a little.
    Regards,
    Ray.

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-30, ray (aka Bruce)
    > Hello,
    > This is news to everyone. V/Line have been a bit lackadaisical about
    > charging for bikes on some trips I've been on, when reporting to Spencer
    > St on the way out (I should say Southern Cross, but the hell with it) I
    > normally identify that I'm taking a bike, and have previously coughed
    > $3.60 each way for it.
    > V/Line has been charging for bikes since the beginning of recorded
    > V/Line history, the charge was $2.00 in 1979. Has inflation been around
    > 80 per cent in that period? Someone have a shot at that.

    1.03^27 = 220%

    (I'm assuming a 3% inflation over that time -- perhaps a bit high).

    When I was a kid, a few peices of fish and minium chips could feed the
    whole family! And minimum chips cost $1.00, and fish was ... 6-8
    dollars for 4 peices?

    NOW GET OFF OF MY LAWN!

    --
    TimC
    "This strongly suggests to me that perl is way out of hand,

  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-01-30, ray (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>Hello,
    >> This is news to everyone. V/Line have been a bit lackadaisical about
    >>charging for bikes on some trips I've been on, when reporting to Spencer
    >>St on the way out (I should say Southern Cross, but the hell with it) I
    >>normally identify that I'm taking a bike, and have previously coughed
    >>$3.60 each way for it.
    >>V/Line has been charging for bikes since the beginning of recorded
    >>V/Line history, the charge was $2.00 in 1979. Has inflation been around
    >>80 per cent in that period? Someone have a shot at that.

    > 1.03^27 = 220%
    >
    > (I'm assuming a 3% inflation over that time -- perhaps a bit high).
    >

    > When I was a kid, a few peices of fish and minium chips could feed the
    > whole family! And minimum chips cost $1.00, and fish was ... 6-8
    > dollars for 4 peices?
    >
    > NOW GET OFF OF MY LAWN!

    Bloody hell Tim you are old (no wonder I'm so slow on the BR). I
    remember when minimum chips was 15 cents. Figured I should get that in
    before some of the older a.b'ers top it with prices in pence.

    DaveB

  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Figured I should get that in before some of the older
    > a.b'ers top it with prices in pence.

    I remember when I was at primary school, we'd order "six of chips, six
    of cakes" from Jack and Steve's Fish Shop down the road. Sixpence (5c)
    worth of chips (about the same quantity as minimum chips now), and
    sixpence worth of potato cakes (six potato cakes). Ten cents total.

    And you try telling that to the kids of today, lol.

    Peter

  6. "DaveB" wrote:
    > TimC wrote:

    >> When I was a kid, a few peices of fish and minium chips could feed the
    >> whole family! And minimum chips cost $1.00, and fish was ... 6-8
    >> dollars for 4 peices?
    >>
    >> NOW GET OFF OF MY LAWN!
    >>

    > Bloody hell Tim you are old (no wonder I'm so slow on the BR). I remember
    > when minimum chips was 15 cents. Figured I should get that in before some
    > of the older a.b'ers top it with prices in pence.

    Och, laddie, when ee was a bairn....

    What's this min chips thing? 10c got me lunch - 5c chips and 2 potato cakes,
    with 1c change. The 60s really were a different world for kids, on holidays
    mum kicked us out the door at 10am and coming home at lunch was a bit of an
    option, vcall home to say we're at a friends place for lunch and no worries
    if she didn't see us until tea-time.

    Cheers
    Peter

  7. Resound

    Resound Guest

    > What's this min chips thing? 10c got me lunch - 5c chips and 2 potato
    > cakes, with 1c change. The 60s really were a different world for kids, on
    > holidays mum kicked us out the door at 10am and coming home at lunch was a
    > bit of an option, vcall home to say we're at a friends place for lunch and
    > no worries if she didn't see us until tea-time.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Peter

    You don't have to go back that far. That sounds like my school holidays in
    the late 70s/early 80s.

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I remember when wagon wheels were 5c & 20c would get you a big bag of mixed lollies. Ok, what could you get fer threepence?

  9. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    Yes, i remember those prices for bags of lollies. Do you remember when you could get more than one lolly for 1c. I think they were aniseed balls. Now that was a bargain for us anise lovers.

  10. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Yes, I'm the late 70's early eighties type kid.

    Mum used to kick me out and say don't come home 'til tea.

    Scotty

  11. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Peter Signorini wrote:

    > What's this min chips thing? 10c got me lunch - 5c chips and 2 potato
    > cakes, with 1c change. The 60s really were a different world for
    > kids, on holidays mum kicked us out the door at 10am and coming home
    > at lunch was a bit of an option, vcall home to say we're at a friends
    > place for lunch and no worries if she didn't see us until tea-time.

    You had the phone on at home? Wow! When I first started work lunch was a pie
    and sauce (Pies were made of meat in those days) and got tuppence change
    from a shilling.

    Yeah, when I was a kid, lunch was served at whoever's house you happened to
    be.

    Theo

  12. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    We only got the phone on in '82, until then we had to walk down to Nans house. Agree with the meal thing, it was a skill to casually 'hang around' 'til teatime. Accidently on purpose of course.

  13. John Pitts

    John Pitts Guest

    On 2006-01-30, coowoowoo
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Yes, i remember those prices for bags of lollies. Do you remember when
    > you could get more than one lolly for 1c.

    Yep, I remember "2 for a cent" lollies at Mrs McTaggart's shop, over the
    road from school. And 5c Paddle Pops!

    --
    John
    You will be frail and musty With peering, furtive head,