Vmo muscle issues...

Methodical

Jun 25, 2012
Question. I have started doing leg extensions to work on strengthening/activating the VMO because I was getting bad cramps while cycling and it's been working this biking season. However, I did a bad thing the other day (found out the hard way). I did some intense leg workout (leg extension, hamstring curls) the night before a ride and near the end of the ride, both thigh muscle literally seized up on me to where I could not walk or flex my leg for a good 10 minutes or so. The VMO cramps have been hampering my progress, just when I am going forward, bam this happens, but I know that intense leg work out the night before was most likely the culprit (won't ever do that again). Although, the problem did not rear it's head until after that stupid workout, I am now concerned that now that it has, the VMO will once again be a problem for me now. Is there a way to stretch the VMO muscle to keep from cramping before/after a ride since I am now strengthening/activating it more? Any leg muscle stretches you suggest before/after rides? I'm open to any suggestions.

Mad...

As to your specific question (muscle stretches before or after rides for your quads), I have no suggestion. That's because I never, ever stretch before or after a ride. I don't recall the specific study, but I read a study of marathon runners that focused on stretching and it turned out that there was a correlation between stretching and injuries. I could probably find the study, but I'm just saying that I don't buy into the value of stretching before or after riding.

I do believe in warming up my muscles before any sort of intensity. My first 5-15 minutes of a ride is low intensity (e.g., 150 watts) and serves no purpose other than to warm up my muscles. Granted that I am only a sample size of one, but I have been riding and racing since 1970 and the only muscle injuries I have sustained (excluding crashes) have been sore glutes due to the fact that when I am in a power-building phase my legs typically develop before my glutes and I can generate more power with my legs than my glutes can handle.

Thanks for the feedback. I also need to warm up before I get into a good riding phase. It helps me warm up the legs, get my mind and breathing right. The problem I sometime have is the guy I ride with likes blast out like a jack rabbit, but I stay the course and let him do what he think he needs to do. He always say to me, you got your 2nd wind. In other words, I start out a bit slower than others, but come into my own on the back end.

This day I just over did it with working the legs to exhaustion (stupid of me) and no recovery time between that and cycling the next day, so my legs just quit on me. I just think I need to do more stretching since I am lifting weights, which tightens the muscles, which obviously is not good for my cycling.

Again thanks...Al

Usually cramps are related to improper training - meaning that you are spending far too much time riding near you limit. Get one of the books on training - there are several different one's - some are even available over the web. Remember that if you spend all of your off time recovering you cannot make any improvements.

Indeed, studies showed that stretching as warmup before exercise is not a good idea at all, and it could lead to injuries. You might stretch after performing your workout to relax muscles and such.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into a training guide and hopefully find out what I may be doing wrong. I do know working my legs as I did before a ride was not a smart move and won't happen again. Up until this incident, I had no issues.

Last edited:
Indeed, studies showed that stretching as warmup before exercise is not a good idea at all, and it could lead to injuries. You might stretch after performing your workout to relax muscles and such.

Do you have any links to these studies? I'll like to read them. I will do a google in the mean time.

Thanks

Hey there! Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you're interested in reading those studies. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific links handy, but a quick Google search should definitely help you find what you're looking for. Just type in some related keywords, and you'll likely find a bunch of relevant studies to dive into.

Cycling is such a fascinating sport, isn't it? Whether it's road biking or mountain biking, there's always something new to learn and explore. And it's great to see fellow enthusiasts like you taking an interest in the research behind it. It can really enhance our understanding and enjoyment of the sport.

I hope you find the studies you're looking for and that they provide valuable insights. If you come across any interesting findings, feel free to share them here. It's always great to have discussions and exchange knowledge with fellow cyclists. Wishing you happy reading and many exciting rides in the future!