VO2 Intervals - Increasing reps/power

tuney

Feb 1, 2004
I just started my Vo2 Max intervals about a week ago.
Im planning of doing these for 3/4 weeks then a nice taper.

They consist of 4min @ 85% MaxPower(370w) with 2 minutes easy.

I only managed 5.75 reps the first session(I failed in the last minute of the 6th rep)... but managed 6 reps the next time...I think this was more due to mental composure rather than fitness.

Anyway some tips for people:
  • Dont be over eager with the power you think you can put out. Its better to complete a session than fail and be gutted!
  • Dont accelerate too hard at the start of the interval, I try keep it below MaxPO.
  • The first 30 seconds will go quick, but concentrate on keeping smooth & steady!
  • Remember to keep your cadence at a suitable level.
  • Concentrate on a powerful smooth pedalling action it will help in the last minute!
  • use mental markers for countdowns, it helps...I think

Anyway, Im assuming that if all goes well I should soon hit 8 reps.

Should I increase the power once I hit 8 reps?

or should I just increase the reps or stick @ 8?

Any suggestions?

Chris

If you can do 8 reps in one session your maximum power has probably increased. Go back and re-evaluate your maximum power then do intervals at 85% of the new max power. Or, if you don't want to do the max power test gain put your 370 watts up to 375 and try that for six reps. If thats too easy go for 380.

I would keep the numbers of intervals at 6 if thats what your training program says you should be doing, just increase the power.

tuney said:
Anyway some tips for people:
  • Dont be over eager with the power you think you can put out. Its better to complete a session than fail and be gutted!
  • Dont accelerate too hard at the start of the interval, I try keep it below MaxPO.
  • The first 30 seconds will go quick, but concentrate on keeping smooth & steady!
  • Remember to keep your cadence at a suitable level.
  • Concentrate on a powerful smooth pedalling action it will help in the last minute!
  • use mental markers for countdowns, it helps...I think
Great tips!

Question: What is a mental marker and how do you use it?

_______
Aaberg

Aaberg said:
Great tips!

Question: What is a mental marker and how do you use it?

_______
Aaberg

It's a way I split up the interval into sections to make them easier or to stay focused.

e.g.

First 30s - Out of saddle . Accelerate for 15seconds to target watts, sit down and progressivley fine tune watts

Up to 2 minutes ensure that power is within required levels... its easy to get over eager.

I use markers/actions like changing bar position every 30seconds or focusing on 1 leg for 10 revs the other for 10.

Using reverse countdowns like "4 sets of 30seconds to go... "

I know this sounds trivial but Its just a way of splitting up the interval, especially when you're on the later ones and you start blowing after 2 minutes!

The types of workouts can actually be easy/enjoyable if you are fully recovered but the the key is to completing these workouts if your a bit tired at the end of a 3 week training block...it takes all your mental ability to complete that last set!

We're not all Tyler Hamilton... and I dont want to grind my molars down doing these ;)

Chris

tuney said:
It's a way I split up the interval into sections to make them easier or to stay focused.

e.g.

First 30s - Out of saddle . Accelerate for 15seconds to target watts, sit down and progressivley fine tune watts

Up to 2 minutes ensure that power is within required levels... its easy to get over eager.

I use markers/actions like changing bar position every 30seconds or focusing on 1 leg for 10 revs the other for 10.

Using reverse countdowns like "4 sets of 30seconds to go... "

I know this sounds trivial but Its just a way of splitting up the interval, especially when you're on the later ones and you start blowing after 2 minutes!

The types of workouts can actually be easy/enjoyable if you are fully recovered but the the key is to completing these workouts if your a bit tired at the end of a 3 week training block...it takes all your mental ability to complete that last set!

We're not all Tyler Hamilton... and I dont want to grind my molars down doing these ;)

Chris

i do similar, and when it starts to hurt at say 90+ secs, i say to myself (obviously not out loud, as i am trying to suck in all available air!) that i'll just get to 3-mins and see how i feel. then at 3-mins i just think 30-secs more, then at 3:30; "might as well finish at 4-mins now!". works most/all the time!

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
i do similar, and when it starts to hurt at say 90+ secs, i say to myself (obviously not out loud, as i am trying to suck in all available air!) that i'll just get to 3-mins and see how i feel. then at 3-mins i just think 30-secs more, then at 3:30; "might as well finish at 4-mins now!". works most/all the time!

ric
i am the exact opposite. before I start my workout i make a firm decision of what i will do, and i stick to it. otherwise i get lazy and find excuses to cut it short.

velomanct said:
i am the exact opposite. before I start my workout i make a firm decision of what i will do, and i stick to it. otherwise i get lazy and find excuses to cut it short.
My program dictates that I keep building my intervals for 3 weeks. Start at 2 then 3 then 4 at the 4rd week. Twice a week with an easier set on the second day. I am not training with power but using time/distance.

velomanct said:
Velomanct, You must have a will of steel!

Ric, I think I do sometimes shout out when Im training... at least no one is around to hear ;)