VO2 Max and Bodyweight

RichG

Apr 26, 2010
Hi All ,

I've been cycling for 8 years now , MTB initially and Road more recently . I've used a Cateye CS-1000 Trainer for my indoor sessions for several years now but I've now decided to get into proper training with power ( indoors for now ) and have a Tacx Fortius VR 1940 Trainer on its way to me at the moment .

I did MAP , 5min max power and 1min max power tests on a similar machine about 7 months ago . The software gave a VO2 max figure which , it was indicated , was very closely linked to bodyweight in some way . My question is "Is VO2 max linked to bodyweight in this context because there is some calculation back from power produced in the test or is there some intrinsic link between VO2 max and bodyweight which I am unaware of ?"

Cheers
RichG

RichG said:
Hi All ,

I've been cycling for 8 years now , MTB initially and Road more recently . I've used a Cateye CS-1000 Trainer for my indoor sessions for several years now but I've now decided to get into proper training with power ( indoors for now ) and have a Tacx Fortius VR 1940 Trainer on its way to me at the moment .

I did MAP , 5min max power and 1min max power tests on a similar machine about 7 months ago . The software gave a VO2 max figure which , it was indicated , was very closely linked to bodyweight in some way . My question is "Is VO2 max linked to bodyweight in this context because there is some calculation back from power produced in the test or is there some intrinsic link between VO2 max and bodyweight which I am unaware of ?"

Cheers
RichG

Rich, any number derived from a simple MMP test is going to, at best, produce just an estimate of vo2max. That estimate could be substantially off as well, depending on your physiology and certain factors. The latter include: your anaerobic capabilities, your pedal efficiency, etc.

The true number could only be ascertained in a proper lab setting with the correct equipment. In such a setting and while undergoing a structured test, measurements would note where your oxygen uptake plateaus. More than likely, this occurs before you actually reach exhaustion or failure as anaerobic sources of energy can allow you to continue exercising for a time, even though oxygen uptake has reached maximal levels. We frequently refer to "power @ vo2max" and that means the wattage level at which point your vo2max is ellicited.

Now such a test would produce an absolute vo2max figure as well as a relative one which considers your body weight. In a general sense, absolute vo2max is going to be higher in bigger/larger people whereas relative vo2max will typically be higher in smaller athletes. The increase in physical size is not directly linear when compared to the increase in stroke volume and heart size. So though an identical copy of you may be 25% larger in size, it would not mean they had a 25% potential higher vo2max.

In order to go from absolute to relative vo2max, simply multiply your absolute vo2max * 1000 (to get mL) then divide by mass (kg)

Example:
absolute vo2max = 4.0L/m
weight = 75kg
relative vo2max = (4.0 * 1000) / 75 = 53.3 ml/min/kg

The "VO2max" value you would get from a lab or test is directly based on your weight. As you lose weight (at the same level of heart fitness), your VO2max goes up. As you gain weight at the same fitness, your VO2max goes down. This is what DancenMacabre was getting at when referring to relative VO2max. The 'relative' means relative to body mass, and relative VO2 is the standard number that you see.

DancenMacabre said:
Rich, any number derived from a simple MMP test is going to, at best, produce just an estimate of vo2max. That estimate could be substantially off as well, depending on your physiology and certain factors. The latter include: your anaerobic capabilities, your pedal efficiency, etc.

The true number could only be ascertained in a proper lab setting with the correct equipment. In such a setting and while undergoing a structured test, measurements would note where your oxygen uptake plateaus. More than likely, this occurs before you actually reach exhaustion or failure as anaerobic sources of energy can allow you to continue exercising for a time, even though oxygen uptake has reached maximal levels. We frequently refer to "power @ vo2max" and that means the wattage level at which point your vo2max is ellicited.

Now such a test would produce an absolute vo2max figure as well as a relative one which considers your body weight. In a general sense, absolute vo2max is going to be higher in bigger/larger people whereas relative vo2max will typically be higher in smaller athletes. The increase in physical size is not directly linear when compared to the increase in stroke volume and heart size. So though an identical copy of you may be 25% larger in size, it would not mean they had a 25% potential higher vo2max.

In order to go from absolute to relative vo2max, simply multiply your absolute vo2max * 1000 (to get mL) then divide by mass (kg)

Example:
absolute vo2max = 4.0L/m
weight = 75kg
relative vo2max = (4.0 * 1000) / 75 = 53.3 ml/min/kg
Thanks for the really useful info. I'll have to get a proper test done .

RichG

CoachZachariah said:
The "VO2max" value you would get from a lab or test is directly based on your weight. As you lose weight (at the same level of heart fitness), your VO2max goes up. As you gain weight at the same fitness, your VO2max goes down. This is what DancenMacabre was getting at when referring to relative VO2max. The 'relative' means relative to body mass, and relative VO2 is the standard number that you see.

Thanks Coach Zachariah ,

All has become much clearer

RichG

CoachZachariah said:

Thanks CoachZachariah , all is much clearer now .

RichG

I suppose I would just like to know what my VO2 max is although I think I get your point ; probably better to just get on with training what I have anyway .

Thanks for the advice .
RichG