VO2 Max and HR Zones

john.francis

Jun 16, 2010
Hi guys,

I've recently (as in yesterday) bought myself a HRM (polar rs400) to use out on the bike, and for running if I lose my mind. This isn't the first time I've used a HRM, although it's my first polar, and the first time I've used one that's not in my boat or rowing machine (I'm a former lightweight rower). I have two questions for you all - hopefully I've just made a mistake or something. First of all - as all of us I'm sure have done at some stage - I yesterday went out for a ride to do some sprints and to try to get my HR up as close to my max as possible. I've been tested (about 4 months ago) in a lab and my MaxHR was calculated at 205. The highest I've recorded whilst racing (in the boat) was 203, which seemed about right when I consider the race etc. However, out on the bike I couldn't get my heart over 185. Have I perhaps "calibrated" the HRM wrong or something? I was working hard, however couldn't push myself up any higher. Any ideas as to what is up?

My other question is (now that I've determined my "cycling" heart rate zones (it appears as though each sport has their own slightly different ones)) I'm intrigued... which zone is the best for increasing my VO2 Max? It's not training I'm necessarily considering right now, however it's a style of training I haven't been exposed to before (as in rowing the focus is on raising one's LIP) and something I'd consider doing in a month or two perhaps. Ideas?

Thanks for any feedback,

John.

john.francis said:
Hi guys,

I've recently (as in yesterday) bought myself a HRM (polar rs400) to use out on the bike, and for running if I lose my mind. This isn't the first time I've used a HRM, although it's my first polar, and the first time I've used one that's not in my boat or rowing machine (I'm a former lightweight rower). I have two questions for you all - hopefully I've just made a mistake or something. First of all - as all of us I'm sure have done at some stage - I yesterday went out for a ride to do some sprints and to try to get my HR up as close to my max as possible. I've been tested (about 4 months ago) in a lab and my MaxHR was calculated at 205. The highest I've recorded whilst racing (in the boat) was 203, which seemed about right when I consider the race etc. However, out on the bike I couldn't get my heart over 185. Have I perhaps "calibrated" the HRM wrong or something? I was working hard, however couldn't push myself up any higher. Any ideas as to what is up?

My other question is (now that I've determined my "cycling" heart rate zones (it appears as though each sport has their own slightly different ones)) I'm intrigued... which zone is the best for increasing my VO2 Max? It's not training I'm necessarily considering right now, however it's a style of training I haven't been exposed to before (as in rowing the focus is on raising one's LIP) and something I'd consider doing in a month or two perhaps. Ideas?

Thanks for any feedback,

John.
Most training above recovery levels will have a beneficial impact, provided you do enough of it relative to current training loads.

When training in the Aerobic Zone, what speed do people usually hold during this training?

I usually find myself in the 18-20 mph range (depending on wind direction) during this intensity but to me that seems kind of low?!?!?

I have been riding since late March and the one thing that I find myself not being able to do properly is riding the front of the pace line. For some reason, when I get up there, I can't hold the pace that everyone is pushing at, but once we get to the climbs, people have a hard time holding my wheel and at times they get dropped by me.

Aerobic zone might be ambiguous. The zones I use are and the 'speeds' I expect in them.
recovery/rest: painfully slow
aerobic: embarassingly slow to cruising
tempo: steady cruising to fast (for me)
LT: TT, or sustaining a breakaway, group fartleks
anaerobic: attack, respond to surges, bridge small gaps

Really 4 of the 5 are aerobic but it's normal to be well under a race pace when in zone 2 individually, in a big group you might be in 'aerobic'/zone 2 at 23-25 or more mph.

quenya said:
Aerobic zone might be ambiguous. The zones I use are and the 'speeds' I expect in them.
recovery/rest: painfully slow
aerobic: embarassingly slow to cruising
tempo: steady cruising to fast (for me)
LT: TT, or sustaining a breakaway, group fartleks
anaerobic: attack, respond to surges, bridge small gaps

Really 4 of the 5 are aerobic but it's normal to be well under a race pace when in zone 2 individually, in a big group you might be in 'aerobic'/zone 2 at 23-25 or more mph.

So in other words, you're telling me that it is normal to be going that slow when performing aerobic exercise as an individual? And even though you feel like you're the slowest person known to cycling, you're actually acquiring a lot of benefit from working out in that zone?

Reason I ask is because when I am by myself, I feel a need to hold that 22 - 23 mph range (usually feels like zone 4) or else I feel like a loser and also feel that I am not exercising, but with that always comes the feeling of being tired all the time and when I go out for a ride the next day or 2 days later, I feel fatigued and my legs feel very heavy.

Threshold said:
So in other words, you're telling me that it is normal to be going that slow when performing aerobic exercise as an individual? And even though you feel like you're the slowest person known to cycling, you're actually acquiring a lot of benefit from working out in that zone?

Reason I ask is because when I am by myself, I feel a need to hold that 22 - 23 mph range (usually feels like zone 4) or else I feel like a loser and also feel that I am not exercising, but with that always comes the feeling of being tired all the time and when I go out for a ride the next day or 2 days later, I feel fatigued and my legs feel very heavy.

That's not exactly what I'm saying. I mean recovery and aerobic efforts take a level of maturity, to not compare yourself to others is difficult. The benefit of zone 2 is physiological adaptions that allow you to be more efficient at moving blood, O2, to your muscles and use less blood sugar or stored glycogen and more fat to fuel your muscles. While you ride in zones 1-2 and maybe three it's much easier to focus on breathing, pedal technique, and handling skills.

There needs to be a variation in pace I'm not saying fast-slow, some people train fast- superfast, but there needs to be recovery and you can't recover from a tough zone 4-5 workout pushing the pace. That's not to say you need a day off the bike but if your 'recovery' leaves you too drained to make the most out of your hard effort days it's not helping you get faster.

To build speed you need to go fast. For that zone 4 and 5 workouts should be done on 'fresh' legs. So it's better to do intervals that take you above the ~23 mph you mentioned then recover the next day on the third day you should feel better than day two if you're up to it do another set of intervals or if you're still a little fatigued that's when I like tempo work. You aren't building speed so much as mental toughness and the ability to push the pace when you're tired may the difference between success and failure.