VO2 Max and LT Testing

james.dippel

Jun 10, 2003
I have tried contacting The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences but to no avail.

Can anyone suggest a place where I can get my VO2 Max, LT and power output measured in the UK, hopefully a place close to Oxford?

What is the rough cost of such testing?

Many thanks.

Out of curiousity why do you want a VO2max and specifically an LT test -- often, these are only useful for research purposes. on the other hand the testing your power output is very useful. not sure yet, on the places to go, but it will depend on what sort of accuracy you want for the power, i.e., Power Tap, SRM, Kingcycle, etc.

Ric

Luton University were recently touting their services in Cycling Weekly. Maybe Oxford University do the same?

Firstly, thank you for the responses.

The reason I wish to know my VO2 Max is in order to give me an idea as to how I fair in comparison to the professionals. I understand that Power Output is a more important measure but it would be useful for me to know my LT as hopefully this will help my endurance rides and stop me giving too much too early on.

I rode to work (50 miles) last week and when I got here I felt pretty dead. I've done 50 miles before and felt fine afterwards - not sure if it was one of 3 things -

my average heart rate was 136 (75% my max 181), before I left I ate a bowl of porridge with banana and prunes then literally jumped on the bike. During the ride I didn't eat anything and only drunk about 30oz of water.

Bearing in mind I don't much like food on the bike, what sort of stuff do you guys find is bearable while riding and keeps you pedaling away?

Using foods that go down easily like jellies (if your not veggie) or energy drinks. My favourite is always a good old jam or honey sandwich.

I train with a HR at the moment and when training seriously (i.e. when work isn't to much) I like to know my HR at LT so that I can train at that intensity. Fortunatly I have the opportunty to get tested lots and so can adjust it almost every 4 to 6 weeks. I have found that VO2 max is a good for an idea of 'where you are' and this is particularly useful when my form goes up and down.

Check out... http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/coaching/sports_science_database.html you can contact them on 0161 274 2060 or on the email above to get the information.

james,

One important aspect to consider is that if you are going to compare your power output to a pro's (or anyone elses), you need to make sure that the methodology is the same, as power (for e.g., a 'max' test) will vary depending on the protocol used.

You'd also need to adjust the data for height and mass. And of course you also need to know what power meter was used by the pro (or anyone else) as different meters give different results.

One useful comparison, is to compare TT power, which in itself doesn't require you to go to a lab, just have access to a power meter. If you do go down this route, then it's important to also have access to the route profile used by you and the other person, certain topographical conditions can lower mean power output.

Ric

:( Why is it never easy :(

I prefer to limit the use of any testing to monitor the individuals changes in performance and this gets rid of the problems Ric has pointed out. One good thing about working in the Lab is that conditons, equipment and experimentors can be controled, adding validity to the data.

Although it is difficult to compare peoples VO2 max data, etc. due to variability it does give you a ball park figure. If you get a VO2 max of 60, 70 or 80 ml.kg.min then you know a little more about where you should be riding... but you are almost certainly riding there already.

Originally posted by 2LAP
:( Why is it never easy :(

I prefer to limit the use of any testing to monitor the individuals changes in performance and this gets rid of the problems Ric has pointed out. One good thing about working in the Lab is that conditons, equipment and experimentors can be controled, adding validity to the data.

Although it is difficult to compare peoples VO2 max data, etc. due to variability it does give you a ball park figure. If you get a VO2 max of 60, 70 or 80 ml.kg.min then you know a little more about where you should be riding... but you are almost certainly riding there already.

Often, i have the feeling, that if things were easy, there'd be no 'value' to them. if bike racing was easy, it probably wouldn't hold the attraction that it does! (although, there's been plenty of times in races when i've wished that they were easy!!).

As an aside, and not to disagree with 2-Lap, it's really important to know what protocol was used for testing and what is meant by some terms (as some people might use them interchangeably or not be that specific about the term, i.e., there's lots of different types of "threshold").

Ric

I'm in complete agreement there Ric; lets not get started on terms!!!! LOL

I think this whole discussion boils down to becoming like 'them' (i.e. the pro). Reading about Lance Armstrong is quiet inspiring. Many people would say Lance has good genetics, others would say he trains hard. Personally I believe it's probably a mix of both. Still, I do often put the question to myself, if someone like Lance whos body has endured cancer and it's treatments can win the tour so many times then surely, with hard (focused and specific) training, good nutrition and plenty of sleep (the last part I like best - don't we all?) then are we not all capable of becoming 'champions?

Lastly, do you guys take an 'easy' week of spinning once a month? I've been training every day and putting in 12+ hours a week over the past month. Last week during my interval sessions - I do 5 x 3 mins at or above 80% of my HR Max - I found it EXTREMELY hard to hit 80%. My solutions is to hit the gym for 30 mins daily for the next week keeping my HR between 60-65%. Also I plan to train on the Stairmaster (in a vain attempt to get my ass back), hence giving the saddle sore a chance to recover too! Good plan?

Yes James, I think you will find that most people on the site have training cycles with hard and easy weeks. This is called periodisation and can occur on a micro (e.g. 3 days hard 1 day easy), meso (e.g. 3 weeks hard 1 week easy) and macro (months and years) level. The main rule in doing this is being progressive so that each block is harder than the previous, with the rest periods allowing you to adapt. In reality its quite difficult to form a program like this yourself because you have to take an objective look at yourself and your goals; that where a coach comes in. Following a program where little changes (i.e. no progression and recovery) will make you overtrained or plateux your form.

As you, I'd like to think that I could be a champion unfortunatly my efforts are directed in other directions so there is little hope for me. I hope that you have a little more time and all of the talents needed to be as good as you want.