VO2 MAX test

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by johnnydelva, Apr 18, 2005.

1. johnnydelva

johnnydelva New Member

Does anyone know where i can get one of these done in south East Melbourne? or anywhere? thanks in advance.

Tags:

2. Walrus

Walrus New Member

I'd check out some of the better gyms, including those affiliated with universities. Anywhere that caters for elite athletes should be able to help. Alternatively, contact a personal trainer and see whether they can arrange it for you?

The VIS would obviously do this, but I don't know if they'd do it for the public?

I know of a mate who did this in Melbourne (cost ~$300), so I'll see if I can find out where.

3. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

It sure seems like you should be able to get a very close approximation on a steep climb with known elevation gain and distance. It seems like somebody ought to be able to come up with a rule of thumb for testing this on our own. I sure would like to do it that way. I don't know about going into a lab and getting really complicated and technical. Sure that would be the best, but I'd like to get a rough approximation, say to about 5% accuracy or so.

4. johnnydelva

johnnydelva New Member

i have a polar S610i, do you think that the fitness test on that is accurate or is it going by too many averages?

5. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

The estimated VO2max given by my Polar 720i matched my true VO2max within 10%.

6. Walrus

Walrus New Member

In the absense of the right instruments, I went searching for a theoretical v02 max. Here's a formula that is supposed to calculate it based on a 1 mile walk. Just putting it out there people, I know this probably isn't close... ;)

132.853 - (age * .3877) - (weight(lbs) *.0769) - (TT * 3.2649) - (HR * .1565)
    add 15% for male.

TT = the time for a 1 mile walk
    HR = the heart rate at the end of the mile

7. pase

pase New Member

so what is your VO2max?

i did one at a work fitness test recently (using a bike and HRM) and recorded 63.51

i was impressed as i was lucky to be riding one day a week at the time

8. AzzaC

AzzaC New Member

Your best bet is to track down a University Sports Science department, and see if anyone is performing any studies which involves V02 max to be calculated. And that you are eligible to participate in.

That way, it will (should) be free, and you can get a true and accurate reading.
    This can only be done using the proper equipment, where the mix of C02 and 02 etc are known.

The only downside is that it may involve other things like muscle biopsies, or commitment to a training programme etc.

Here at the University of Western Australia, we regularly recruit subjects. We also perform these tests 'privately', but expect to pay a bit for a full report and analysis.

HTH

9. byron27

byron27 New Member

I live in Perth. Can i put my hand up to participate in these tests?

10. byron27

byron27 New Member

I used the polar and it was within 10% also. 67 on the polar, 73 in the test.

11. AzzaC

AzzaC New Member

I'm not sure of what exact studies are going on at the moment. Most of the studies that I am aware of are for people with diabetes, or sedentary people.

There was a study a couple of years ago, specifically asking for cyclists, where a V02max was done, and the person got a full training schedule!

So keep your eyes and ears out for anyone looking for volunteers.

12. byron27

byron27 New Member

Would this info be placed on the Human Movement website?

13. chook1

chook1 New Member

i did one at Richmond at the Epworth, cost about $300 though

see www.lungtests.com

14. Mellic

Mellic New Member

Info on studies is not placed onto the human movement website.

But if you are wanting to have VO2 max and lactate threshold testing done soon you can pay. If you look on the website under exercise physiology and follow the links to the Centre for Athletic Testing (CAT) you will find all the necessary people to get in touch with.

The testing costs $100 for VO2 max and another $20 for lactate thresholds. The testing takes 1.5 hours to complete and is generally done by an exercise physiologist from the School of Human Movement and Exercise Science at UWA.