VO2 Max, weight loss and musings

TeleVizedPayne

Sep 11, 2005
I've been reading the book by Chric Carmichael called, Eat Right to Train Right. It has a test in it that can help you determine what your VO2 max is. It is called the CTS test. I did it today and came out around 50%. I am 45 years old and have been riding seriously on road bikes for about 7 months.

It has some helpful information on heart rate targets based upon the test and uses periodization in your diet to match periodization in your training schedule. I bought it because I've lost about 35 pounds over the last 6 months but I 've stalled out. So, I am going to see if I can get things started up again in the weight loss department.

I am glad I live down in the Southwest where I can ride this winter. I don't know if I could stand the indoor trainer much. I guess I will do the test again in 3 months and see if I've made any improvement.

According to the test, I need to keep my endurance miles around or below 130 bpm and do my tempo rides at around 134. When I do recovery rides, I need to keep my heartrate around 105. I am in a foundation stage right now and plan on staying there for the next three months and gradually increasing my mileage until I am ready for the preparation stage in March. I'll need the extra calories just to make up for all the blamed wind!

Have any of you had experience with Carmichale's work? What did you find and how did you do?

This is how the test is done:

1. Find and mark a 3 mile course that is level with light traffic.
2. No solid food for 2 hours prior to the test.
3. 16 oz. of high-carbohydrate sports drink immediately prior to the test (45 min).
4. 10-20 min warm-up prior to timed ride that includes 2-3 high intensity efforts of 1-2 minutes in length. By end of warm up you should be physically warm, sweating and prepared for effort #1.
5. Begin with standing start using gear that is not to easy or too heavy.
6. Move to sitting position and shift into higher gear.
7. Once up to speed, maintain cadence between 90-95 RPM.
8. When you reach speed you feel you can barley maintain for the entire time settle into steady breating rhythm.
9. Force pace all of the way!
10. Collect time and heart rate for first effort.
11. Recovery of 10 minutes at low intensity, high cadence.
12. Repeat.
13. Cool down 15-30 minutes.

-------------------------------------

To interpret data:

185 BPM is 100 % (This is based on using data for over 1000 participants.)

<65% is HR <120 VO2 max 20-35%
65-85% is HR 120-153 VO2 max 35-50%
85-88% is HR 153-163 VO2 max 50-65%
88-95% is HR 163-176 VO2 max 65-80%
95-100% is HR 176-185 VO2 max 80-85%
>100% is HR >185 VO2 max 85-100%

Data from Food for Fitness by: Chris Carmichael pp-29,387-389.

I had winds of 10-15 mph coming at an angle across my course.
My first timed ride was 9:09 with HR of 144.
My second timed ride was 10:31 with HR of 149

That puts me close to the top of the second level.

I've been reading the stuff I've been talking about and I misunderstood it. The 185 is the average the athletes that participated in the study had for their HR. I have to base those percentages for myself upon my own heart rate.

It helps to think about things a little and talk to people. (I posted this on another forum too) and got some information there!:rolleyes:

this summer, this particular race, my average hr was higher than 180 for 60 mins. + 2 laps. max hr was near 205. so.. sometimes hr could tell different stories. ain't that a bit$%? wish i had power meter... poor college kid just can't afford that kind of stuff.

i do use periodazation.. or however you spell it. i think it does help but my training schedule is modified to fit my schedule... school, work, clubs, social life and etc...

well, your average heart rate seems kinda low. how old are you?

sooray02 said:
this summer, this particular race, my average hr was higher than 180 for 60 mins. + 2 laps. max hr was near 205. so.. sometimes hr could tell different stories. ain't that a bit$%? wish i had power meter... poor college kid just can't afford that kind of stuff.

i do use periodazation.. or however you spell it. i think it does help but my training schedule is modified to fit my schedule... school, work, clubs, social life and etc...

well, your average heart rate seems kinda low. how old are you?
I'm 45. I'm probablly a little older than a young buck like you in college. I rode for four hours and 38 minutes the other day and kept my heart rate at 134. I may have let the wind affect my test a little as I was afraid to run out of gas with the wind as it was.