vo2 phase before FT phase?

yzfrr11 said:
Briefly, Daniel says that for distances greater than 1500 meters, LT will be most important, so he recommends this phase (primary emphasis on T pace) to occur immediatly prior to your most important events. VO2 max emphasis is recommended prior to this (I pace), and speed work (R pace), first.

He prescribes 2 workouts per week (one primary, and the other maintainance). All of the other days are basic endurance runs (E pace). Really an interesting read. All of the principles are fairly standard and he recommends the standard interval durations for stressing LT, and VO2max.

What is noteworthy, however, is that his E pace falls squarly into L2, and he recommends avoiding L3. Also interesting is his preference for starting with speed work.
Really? I don't have the book in front of me right now, but this summary (found elsewhere on the web) is what I did when following the Daniels plan. Note that I, the Vo2Max intervals, comes after T, the tempo/threshold phase:

The book concludes with a four-phase program, six weeks per phase, for a total of 24 weeks. Phase 1 consists of E-type easy running, focusing on foundation work and injury prevention. Phase 2 continues to increase mileage and estimates VDOT with a T-type race. Phase 3 is the hardest part of the program, introducing I-type interval training and R-type racing to determine the current VDOT. Finally, Phase 4 highlights adequate rest and recovery, a drop in total mileage, and sharpening towards a target race.

yzfrr11 said:
Briefly, Daniel says that for distances greater than 1500 meters, LT will be most important, so he recommends this phase (primary emphasis on T pace) to occur immediatly prior to your most important events. VO2 max emphasis is recommended prior to this (I pace), and speed work (R pace), first.

He prescribes 2 workouts per week (one primary, and the other maintainance). All of the other days are basic endurance runs (E pace). Really an interesting read. All of the principles are fairly standard and he recommends the standard interval durations for stressing LT, and VO2max.

What is noteworthy, however, is that his E pace falls squarly into L2, and he recommends avoiding L3. Also interesting is his preference for starting with speed work.
In my humble opinion, that approach isn't bad. I have used it. With the exception that there are other variables, in a training plan, that may suggest (or even impose) one approach, over one other.

Also, as some have suggested, cycling is a strange animal. Because L3 and higher are required in many races. So one may decide to develop L4 first, then L5, and still be in compliance with Daniel's principle.

Hey Solar,

I just re-read your post, and please accept my sincere apologies at coming back at you like that. I guess I just took it the wrong way. Thanks to accogan for the links and other info too, much appreciated.

I will endeavour to dig through the boxes of articles i have related to anaerobic training and post relevant info for everyone as to how it can apply to and benefit endurance performance.

Billy

No fault FordGT40,

I have the highest respect for the studies that you did. I will be reading your posts with great interest.

Sometimes members argue quite directly on this site, often the best comes out of these arguments.

Hope to read you soon

:)

WarrenG said:
For most running events there may not be a need to do any of that training
hmm. even on a 10k, it is not always quiet on the last 2ks, not to mention the hills.

Everything under 10k. hmm. I have to disagree, a bit. But that doesn't matter very much.

I am enjoying most of your posts anyway.

This thread is producing some high quality input.

To get back to Solar's question, some studies that i have read have shown that high intensity interval training actually improves VO2max, and get this, with as little as 8 minutes total actual work during a seven day period. Here's how it works. This study was performed with long distance runners, but the principles can be applied to any mode of exercise.

Basically, the runners did 4 sets of 4 x 100m sprints at maximum speed, with a 60sec rest in between each sprint, and 12secs rest between sets. This routine was repeated over a six week period. The end result was a 5-8 ml/kg/min increase in VO2max at the end of study cf the beginning. Doing the math assuming each sprint takes about 11sec, each set comes to 44secs, by 4 sets equals 176 secs, three times per week equals 528 secs, thats 8 minutes 48 secs per week of actual work for a result of around 10% increase in VO2max. These sort of results require up to 120km of running each week using purely anaerobic training.

It must be made clear though that this regime is only to be performed for a maximum 8 week period then to go into a maintenance routine, to retain the benefit.

Some of the guys have been talking about 30/30 training which i think is probably very similar. In the studies done on cyclists however all sessions were performed on a cycle ergometer which is somewhat different to road riding as the power output is directly proportional to revolutions/min. This is not the same for road riding, particularly flat surfaces as it is entirely posible to reach maximum revolutions without reaching maximum power. This is somewhat the case with running also. So to increase power output try this regime on a slope, around 10% would be good or lower depending on your current level of fitness. The name of the game is maximum output, which in cycling is different to max speed again depending on slope.