VO2max test interpretation take II - different subject

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
This time its mine.

The facemask slipped and had to be adjusted, which I felt disturbed my rhythm, my cadence dropped from ~120 to 80 and I never got back on top of the gear. Until that point, it was metronomic. It was certainly starting to hurt but I felt I could give it some more.

Hawley '92 protocol. 2.5 mins at ~3.3 X mass, then 50w more after 2.5 mins, then 25w more every 2.5 mins until voluntary termination or cadence <70. Measurements every 15s.

My VO2 was all over the shop, trending upwards but with several dips despite the upward trend. Just prior to termination, my VO2 had climbed to 64.2ml/kg/min, RER 1.04, then dropped to 62.6, RER 1.06, over the next 30s, then in another 30s climbed back to 64.1, RER 1.04, no obvious plateau...

2.5min avg peak power was 385W, 1m avg peak power was 400W. My functional threshold is ~340W atm and I have done 360W for 20mins relatively recently. I have a low anaerobic capacity.

I'm thinking we need a retest? Yes?

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
Roadie_scum said:
This time its mine.

The facemask slipped and had to be adjusted, which I felt disturbed my rhythm, my cadence dropped from ~120 to 80 and I never got back on top of the gear. Until that point, it was metronomic. It was certainly starting to hurt but I felt I could give it some more.

Hawley '92 protocol. 2.5 mins at ~3.3 X mass, then 50w more after 2.5 mins, then 25w more every 2.5 mins until voluntary termination or cadence <70. Measurements every 15s.

My VO2 was all over the shop, trending upwards but with several dips despite the upward trend. Just prior to termination, my VO2 had climbed to 64.2ml/kg/min, RER 1.04, then dropped to 62.6, RER 1.06, over the next 30s, then in another 30s climbed back to 64.1, RER 1.04, no obvious plateau...

2.5min avg peak power was 385W, 1m avg peak power was 400W. My functional threshold is ~340W atm and I have done 360W for 20mins relatively recently. I have a low anaerobic capacity.

I'm thinking we need a retest? Yes?
The only time I had my VO2 max measured was during an incremental stress ECG test, performed on an ergo bike, with trainers (sneakers) and toe straps, and handlebars in the upright position. I'd also done 100km the evening before and had no breakfast, and as the purpose of the test was just a routine health check i really didn't care about going my hardest and quit at 390w. I was told this was 64 ml/kg/min. I expect that if I went my hardest on my own bike I could push higher than 400, and my VO2 max value would hopefully be above 70....

I want to get it accurately tested, but seeing as I'm not doing any level 5 work at the moment it would be pointless right now.

This test seems very dependent upon motivation, equipment set up, how you feel on the day etc. If you really wanted to know as close as possible to your exactl value you would have to do the test several times and be sure that you went to 100% effort each time - then you could average the results??