VO2Max test

Resound wrote:
> "darryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > DeF <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > (snip)>
> >> I've now got 4 zones with HR boundaries that
> >> can apparently be used to training purposes.
> >> Have to work that bit out yet.
> >>
> >> DeF.

> > Read this:
> > <http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/power1>
> > and
> > <http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/power2>
> >
> > They have more zones but Bicycling magazines 'Complete Book of
> > Long-Distance Cycling' uses only four zones:
> > Zone 1 - <65% of max HR (recovery, use fat stores)
> > Zone 2 - 65% - 84% of max HR (build aerobic endurance)
> > Zone 3 - 85% - 94% of max HR (to reach lactate threshold), and
> > Zone 4 - >94% of max HR (develop anaerobic system for short bursts)
> >
> > regards,
> > Darryl

> Do you still burn fat as effectively in zone 2 or do you wind up using more
> glycolysis than lipolysis? I don't have a biology background at all, so
> layman answers would be nice *grin*

As you increase intensity, in general, the total amount of energy you
burn increases, but the absolute amount of fat increases *to a point*
then stops increasing. So the percentage energy from fat decreases at
higher intensity, but you still burn just as much (roughly, yes Tam, I
know ....) fat per hour.

So yes, you burn fat effectively ni z2/E2/whatever higher zone you
define, but you burn more sugar and glycogen as well.

Bleve wrote:
> DeF wrote:
>
>> Relative VO2Max 51.5 ml/kg/min
>> Absolute " 5.02 l/min
>>
>> Absolute number isn't too bad - the low Relative figure
>> is because, I think, I'm overweight. 350W for 5 minutes was
>> bloody hard. I was surprised how steeply the perceived
>> effort went up from the jump from 300 to 350. The clock
>> seemed to slow down terribly for that last 5 minutes.

> What grade are you riding? And with what sort of success?

I've only just started racing. I rode a C grade
crit a few weeks ago and won that (with a breakaway).
Since then I've ridden two B grade crits and have
finished with the bunch! Last week I had a go at
another breakaway. Me and another rider stayed
away for about 4 laps but got caught. Tried again
later but other riders sat up. So, I can stay with
the bunch but no results at B grade (yet!). I feel
like I'm getting more competitive though. My sprint,
however, is useless.

DeF

--
e-mail: [email protected]
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

DeF wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> > DeF wrote:
> >
> >> Relative VO2Max 51.5 ml/kg/min
> >> Absolute " 5.02 l/min
> >>
> >> Absolute number isn't too bad - the low Relative figure
> >> is because, I think, I'm overweight. 350W for 5 minutes was
> >> bloody hard. I was surprised how steeply the perceived
> >> effort went up from the jump from 300 to 350. The clock
> >> seemed to slow down terribly for that last 5 minutes.

> > What grade are you riding? And with what sort of success?
> >

> I've only just started racing. I rode a C grade
> crit a few weeks ago and won that (with a breakaway).
> Since then I've ridden two B grade crits and have
> finished with the bunch! Last week I had a go at
> another breakaway. Me and another rider stayed
> away for about 4 laps but got caught. Tried again
> later but other riders sat up. So, I can stay with
> the bunch but no results at B grade (yet!). I feel
> like I'm getting more competitive though. My sprint,
> however, is useless.

That's quite a low VO2max for a B grade rider - it doesn't necessarily
mean much, but it's interesting that you can keep up with that sort of
number. Most B grade riders around here are in the 60's or so, as far
as I'm aware. VO2max is only an indicator, after all :)

Bleve wrote:
> DeF wrote:
>> Bleve wrote:

>>> What grade are you riding? And with what sort of success?
>>>

>> I've only just started racing. I rode a C grade
>> crit a few weeks ago and won that (with a breakaway).
>> Since then I've ridden two B grade crits and have
>> finished with the bunch! Last week I had a go at
>> another breakaway. Me and another rider stayed
>> away for about 4 laps but got caught. Tried again
>> later but other riders sat up. So, I can stay with
>> the bunch but no results at B grade (yet!). I feel
>> like I'm getting more competitive though. My sprint,
>> however, is useless.

> That's quite a low VO2max for a B grade rider - it doesn't necessarily
> mean much, but it's interesting that you can keep up with that sort of
> number. Most B grade riders around here are in the 60's or so, as far
> as I'm aware. VO2max is only an indicator, after all :)

Couple of things to note: it's B grade Vets and the crits are
*flat*. I reckon I'll be struggling as soon as the road points
up. B-grade averages around 38 to 39kph for the crits.

I'll be finding out about the hills soon enough. I've put my
name up for a TdU companion vets race in Adelaide next month:
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/2006/images/maps/vets1.gif
Not that familiar with the area but there'll be a couple of
hills I'm sure! It's also a handicap race so it'll be flat
out all the way.

I'm hurting already.

DeF

--

artemidorus wrote:

> DeF Wrote:
> > I tried out for a cycling exercise physiology
> > research program last week which involved doing
> > a VO2Max test (among a couple of other things).
> > It turned out I'm too old, fat and slow to be a
> > research subject but it was interesting anyway.
> >
> > For the VO2Max test I was put on a stationary
> > bike where the resistance could be controlled.
> > It started at 100W then went up by 50W every
> > 5 minutes. I made it through 5 minutes at
> > 350W but fell apart not long into the 400W
> > interval.
> >
> > It was interesting to be hooked up to all the
> > equipment and watch what was happening. My
> > heart rate hit 176bpm near the end and my
> > cadence sat around 92rpm until the last jump
> > in power.
> >
> > I've now got 4 zones with HR boundaries that
> > can apparently be used to training purposes.
> > Have to work that bit out yet.
> >
> > DeF.
> >
> > --
> > e-mail: [email protected]
> > To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

> You didn't tell us your VO2 max! By the way, maintaining 350W for 5min
> puts you well above the average punter.
> I didn't say this, but one way to have one done would be to see a
> respiratory physician at a large hospital and claim to be unusually
> short of breath when cycling up hills....Technically true for all, I
> imagine :) .
>
> --
> artemidorus

What kind of doc gives a VO2 max test based on that?!

Tam

DeF wrote:

> Couple of things to note: it's B grade Vets and the crits are
> *flat*.

Ok.

> I reckon I'll be struggling as soon as the road points
> up. B-grade averages around 38 to 39kph for the crits.

That's an eastern combine (Victoria) C grade open average on
most flat courses.

> I'll be finding out about the hills soon enough. I've put my
> name up for a TdU companion vets race in Adelaide next month:
> http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/2006/images/maps/vets1.gif
> Not that familiar with the area but there'll be a couple of
> hills I'm sure! It's also a handicap race so it'll be flat
> out all the way.

Yeah, there's a hill or three on that course!

> I'm hurting already.

You're in WA, hrm... not a lot of long hills to train on, but there are
a lot
of predictable headwinds, which are pretty similar!

Tamyka Bell said:
What kind of doc gives a VO2 max test based on that?!

Tam
It is reasonably common for a respiratory physician to ask for a full exercise study in patients with unexplained exertional shortness of breath that cannot be diagnosed with simpler means. Most patients don't achieve a true VO2max, as they are not sufficiently motivated, but some do. You won't get an OBLA; being less useful for medical purposes, lactate is not measured.

artemidorus wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > What kind of doc gives a VO2 max test based on that?!
> >
> > Tam

> It is reasonably common for a respiratory physician to ask for a full
> exercise study in patients with unexplained exertional shortness of
> breath that cannot be diagnosed with simpler means. Most patients don't
> achieve a true VO2max, as they are not sufficiently motivated, but some
> do. You won't get an OBLA, as that is less useful for medical purposes
> so lactate is not measured.
>
> --
> artemidorus

I suppose the challenge is getting sent to the respiratory physician in
the first place. The GP ordered blood tests and said I was fine and sent
me away. I self diagnosed and did well and the problem went away... not
that I would generally recommend self-diagnosis...

Tam

DeF wrote:

> Still, I tried a breakaway in a B-grade crit last Sunday
> and stayed away for about 4 laps.

Nice effort, but you really need a companion to share the work. Too
many heroes in B-grade who are happy to drag the bunch back to you.

Is there a race report that I missed?

--
BrettS

BrettS wrote:
> DeF wrote:
>
>> Still, I tried a breakaway in a B-grade crit last Sunday
>> and stayed away for about 4 laps.
>>

> Nice effort, but you really need a companion to share the work. Too
> many heroes in B-grade who are happy to drag the bunch back to you.
>
> Is there a race report that I missed?
>
> --
> BrettS

I did have one guy with me but we mutually gave up after
a while. There was a strong headwind down the back straight.

No race report I'm afraid!

How's the racing at Bunbury?

DeF.

--

DeF wrote:

> I did have one guy with me but we mutually gave up after
> a while. There was a strong headwind down the back straight.
>
> No race report I'm afraid!
>
> How's the racing at Bunbury?

Sparse. I went on a training ride with the SWCC guys through the hills
at Australind on Saturday. Saturday's ride is hard on the flat and
harder up the hills. If I can keep up with these guys I'll be riding
vets A grade before long...

--
BrettS