vol-au-vents

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jen, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Jen

    Jen Guest

    I tasted a lovely vol-au-vent from a bakery once. It had chicken, bacon and
    onion in it. I wonder if someone has a similar recipe.

    Tags:

  2. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Jen wrote:
    > I tasted a lovely vol-au-vent from a bakery once. It had chicken, bacon and
    > onion in it. I wonder if someone has a similar recipe.

    They're just pastry cases with your favorite filling - why not find a
    quiche filling recipe and use that? Here's one to which you could
    just add some cooked, diced chicken. If you want these served as a
    hearty "sauce" in the pastry, you could just make a thick white sauce
    and add the first three ingredients, plus the chicken, plus the
    seasonings, and serve in the pastry cups. You can tailor the filling
    ingredients to suit your tastes.

    You can make the puff pastry* or buy it frozen.

    1/2 lb. bacon, fried crisp & crumbled
    1 c. Swiss or Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/3 c. onion, minced
    4 eggs
    2 c. whipping cream or light cream
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. sugar
    1/8 tsp. cayenne red pepper

    * Vol au Vent

    1 lb puff pastry
    kitchen foil
    egg wash

    Make a ball with the foil. Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness.
    Cut 2 squares. Place 1 square on a cooking sheet. Place foil ball in
    the center. Cover with the second sheet of dough. Using the ring from a
    tart mold as a guide cut a circle around about 1 1/2" away from foil.
    Make a hole on top for steam to escape. Decorate with trimmings.
    Paint eggwash. Bake in pre heated 400 degree oven for 40 mins. Turn
    down heat to 300 after 20 minutes.
    Let cool , cut off top and remove foil carefully.
    Place hot filling inside and serve, or reheat if needed.

    N.