Volae & Aero fairings

Robert Siegel

Guest
It appears (from Rich Pinto and other qualified observers) that a small bubble fairing on high
racers adds little if any speed but is useful in cold weather. It weighs from 1.5 to 2.5 pounds with
mounts so it is not a Florida option, IMHO.

I find my GRR without a front fairing noticeably slower than with a front fairing. Clearly, a full
body sock turns the GRR into a very fast bike but I have problems mentally dealing with the full
bodysock concept.

With the same effort, for me, my unfaired Volae is noticeably faster than my front-faired,
unsocked Ti GRR.

Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

--
Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

Robert, According to the web page ,this fairing weight less than 2 lbs. Seems like it ought to add
at least 2 lbs worth of aero advantage. I have read somewher that the swirling feet and pedals cause
aero loss,wouldn't this fairing help? It would help for cold weather riding,but it would also make a
great chainring guard,I always worry about impaling a bike trail walker or someones rear tire . Ben
fox -Corsa

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IIhFb.223341$Ec1.7957286@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> It appears (from Rich Pinto and other qualified observers) that a small bubble fairing on high
> racers adds little if any speed but is useful in
cold
> weather. It weighs from 1.5 to 2.5 pounds with mounts so it is not a Florida option, IMHO.
>
> I find my GRR without a front fairing noticeably slower than with a front fairing. Clearly, a full
> body sock turns the GRR into a very fast bike
but
> I have problems mentally dealing with the full bodysock concept.
>
> With the same effort, for me, my unfaired Volae is noticeably faster than
my
> front-faired, unsocked Ti GRR.
>
> Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
>
> --
> Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

Robert,
> According to the web page ,this fairing weight less than 2 lbs. Seems
like it ought to add at least 2 lbs worth of aero advantage.
> I have read somewhere that the swirling feet and pedals cause aero loss,
wouldn't this fairing help?

I have read a number of reports that a small "foot-size" fairing adds little or no speed increase
but keeps feet warm. Yes, the fairing would be a good chainwheel protector but you can buy a plastic
chainwheel ring protector for maybe $20.

Yeah,but it wouldn't look as good!
Ben Fox
news:[email protected]...