Volae & Aero fairings

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Robert Siegel, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. It appears (from Rich Pinto and other qualified observers) that a small bubble fairing on high
    racers adds little if any speed but is useful in cold weather. It weighs from 1.5 to 2.5 pounds with
    mounts so it is not a Florida option, IMHO.

    I find my GRR without a front fairing noticeably slower than with a front fairing. Clearly, a full
    body sock turns the GRR into a very fast bike but I have problems mentally dealing with the full
    bodysock concept.

    With the same effort, for me, my unfaired Volae is noticeably faster than my front-faired,
    unsocked Ti GRR.

    Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

    --
    Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

    Tags:

  2. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Robert, According to the web page ,this fairing weight less than 2 lbs. Seems like it ought to add
    at least 2 lbs worth of aero advantage. I have read somewher that the swirling feet and pedals cause
    aero loss,wouldn't this fairing help? It would help for cold weather riding,but it would also make a
    great chainring guard,I always worry about impaling a bike trail walker or someones rear tire . Ben
    fox -Corsa

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > It appears (from Rich Pinto and other qualified observers) that a small bubble fairing on high
    > racers adds little if any speed but is useful in
    cold
    > weather. It weighs from 1.5 to 2.5 pounds with mounts so it is not a Florida option, IMHO.
    >
    > I find my GRR without a front fairing noticeably slower than with a front fairing. Clearly, a full
    > body sock turns the GRR into a very fast bike
    but
    > I have problems mentally dealing with the full bodysock concept.
    >
    > With the same effort, for me, my unfaired Volae is noticeably faster than
    my
    > front-faired, unsocked Ti GRR.
    >
    > Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
    >
    > --
    > Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

  3. Robert,
    > According to the web page ,this fairing weight less than 2 lbs. Seems
    like it ought to add at least 2 lbs worth of aero advantage.
    > I have read somewhere that the swirling feet and pedals cause aero loss,
    wouldn't this fairing help?

    I have read a number of reports that a small "foot-size" fairing adds little or no speed increase
    but keeps feet warm. Yes, the fairing would be a good chainwheel protector but you can buy a plastic
    chainwheel ring protector for maybe $20.

  4. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Yeah,but it wouldn't look as good!
    Ben Fox