Volae Club

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by franksapper, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. franksapper

    franksapper New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.

    frank::D

    Tags:

  2. tla

    tla New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2003
    Price is fair. It's the Vision Saber frame. http://www.visionrecumbents.com. Rolf picked new components and made other changes. Should be a fast road bike, but not suitable for touring (fenders won't fit).

  3. Dave Harney

    Dave Harney Guest

    I'm new to recumbents as of this summer and now have around 2,000 miles on my Volae Club. I really
    like this bike. I went to a recumbent because of the usual pain problems - now I think I should have
    tried this years ago. My average speed has definitely jumped up a couple miles an hour and all pain,
    except a foot numbness issue, is gone - I remember now why I got interested in bikes.

    For me, it was tough learning how to balance the bike, but I feel 90% of my old confidence has
    returned now. I have found no fault with any of the components or design of the bike - just a lot
    more chain to clean. The M5 seat is really great. I never owned a "touring" bike or ever had
    fenders, but I done my share of touring (without camping). I intend to tour for a couple of weeks in
    Ireland next spring and the Volae will be my bike of choice - but I travel pretty light.

    I don't know any reason why not to buy this bike.

    "tla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > franksapper wrote:
    > > I am considering looking at the Volae Clubfrank::D
    >

    > Price is fair. It's the Vision Saber frame. http://www.visionrecumbents.com. Rolf picked new
    > components and made other changes. Should be a fast road bike, but not suitable for touring
    > (fenders won't fit).

  4. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    franksapper <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. Does anyone
    > have any information pertaining to this bike. Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are there
    > other recumbents that are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
    >
    > frank::D

    Frank: The competition is either the Bacchetta Strada or Corsa or the Vision Sabre. All have the
    dual 26 inch wheels. I have ridden them all. Initially I should say that the Volae, designed and
    produced by Hostelshoppe, is a very nice put together bike. Rolf Garthaus knows what he is doing.
    But so do the Bacchetta boys, and Vision has been a staple for years. I don't own a dual 26 inch
    wheel bike. If I did it would be the Sabre because I don't like the superman riding position of the
    other two. I like my handlebars close to my body, like the RANS bikes. The Vision set up is a little
    tall and close to the body but preferable to me than having that long reach on the others. The
    Vision however was a little tall for me (I'm 5' 7") and I didn't like the toe dance I did. It does
    offer a straight drive side chain path, no routing around an idler, which I prefer. The bike was
    very responsive and rode exceptionally well. And, you can buy them now at discount if you can find
    one (Hostelshoppe is offering a demo at discount now). I don't like the finger/thumb shifters but
    you can swap them out. Of Bacchetta and Volae, the Volae gives you the opportunity to deal directly
    with the company to adapt the bike for you. They were willing to work with me on the stem/handlebar
    situation. I also like the ability to remove the seat without changing the seat settings. I did not
    like the rear idler/ratchett as I thought it noisy. Bacchettas have a little longer wheelbase. I
    didn't notice much difference in their ride. The Strada is cheaper and they are beginning to show up
    used on the web. Vision and Bacchetta you can get from local dealers. Volae you get only from
    Hostelshoppe. I suggest that any of these bikes would be a nice addition. I think the choice will
    depend on how you feel on them and the level of componentry you want. Good luck.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo

    Barcroft Virginia Barcroft Columbia RANS Rocket

  5. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    franksapper <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. Does anyone
    > have any information pertaining to this bike. Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are there
    > other recumbents that are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.

    On the 3 day AITC ride earlier in September, there was a gentleman with a Volae Club. I looked it
    over closely all 3 mornings before the day's ride and took it for a short ride in a parling lot one
    morning. The frame was to small for me so I couldn't get the seat back enough and the mismatch of my
    pedal cleats on smooth bottomed road shoes to the pedals on the bike made it tough to keep my feet
    on the pedals so I could't get the best feel for the ride. However, for the short time I was on the
    bike, handling was smooth and predictable and the bike seemed to accelerate well.

    The quality and finish of the bike was excellent, as well as the components used. The tweener bars
    were different than what I am used to but I didn't feel as if they were something that I couldn't
    adjust to with more riding time. The seat clamp mechanism and the seat stays are the best I have
    ever seen on any bent, including those on the Bacchetta bikes. The Bacchetta Corsa would probably be
    the most comparable bike and it retails for $600 more. The Volae Club LX looks to be a real buy with
    very impressive component specs and a price of $2399, $200 less than the Corsa.

    I am intrigued by the highracer bents myself. Mainly riding a Baron lowracer for the last couple of
    years, I already know I like the hardshell type seat and laid back riding position. I have been
    thinking about a Bacchetta Corsa but after seeing the Volae Club, I would have to say that I am also
    considering the Volae Club LX and Team.

    Harry Jiles

  6. > Price is fair. It's the Vision Saber frame. http://www.visionrecumbents.com. Rolf picked new
    > components and made other changes. Should be a fast road bike, but not suitable for touring
    > (fenders won't fit).

    Great feedback from everyone on this NG, good to hear. Just wanted to clarify though, the Volae is
    most definately _not_ a Saber frame. I believe they share similar tubing and the same USA factory,
    but not much beyond that. As was previously stated, the Club, Club LX and Team are purpose-built
    speed bikes, but I wouldn't think twice about taking mine on a long tour. However, if you like
    loaded touring, the lightweight racing wheels and forks aren't designed to take that kind of abuse
    and don't offer enough clearance for fenders. The Century was designed for that purpose exactly -
    unloaded, it's very fast, but the 26/20 Thracian wheels can also take some serious abuse, and the
    frame was designed to be accessorised - fenders, racks, suspension, you name it.

    Happy Trails, Erich Hartman

    Hostel Shoppe, Ltd. 800-233-4340 www.hostelshoppe.com

  7. Pj

    Pj Guest

    franksapper <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. Does anyone
    > have any information pertaining to this bike. Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are there
    > other recumbents that are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
    >
    > frank::D

    First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more accurately very happy Strada
    owner and quite recently my wife also became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.

    Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the Volae coming on line but the
    Vision Sabre was available at the time. One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the
    Sabre was the fact that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's or the
    Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon seat and a pair of very light 650c
    wheels and tires, with the weight coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather,
    speed oriented ride.

    Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in weather, I will swap the 650
    wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of fenders on
    the bike for wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for commutes during the
    winter I will most likely switch back to to the Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a more upright
    rider position and better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to accomodate wet weather
    riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch wheeled bikes from Volae or Vision. Wider
    tires, fenders and a more upright seating position are not an option for the Volae or Sabre. However
    with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down based upon your needs and riding
    environment.

    The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more committed group. They focus on
    taking care of the customer and collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
    recumbent industry.

    Pat McShane

  8. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > franksapper <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. Does anyone
    > > have any information pertaining to this bike. Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are
    > > there other recumbents that are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
    > >
    > > frank::D
    >

    > First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more accurately very happy Strada
    > owner and quite recently my wife also became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.
    >
    > Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the Volae coming on line but the
    > Vision Sabre was available at the time. One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the
    > Sabre was the fact that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's or the
    > Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon seat and a pair of very light 650c
    > wheels and tires, with the weight coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather,
    > speed oriented ride.
    >
    > Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in weather, I will swap the
    > 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of
    > fenders on the bike for wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for commutes
    > during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a
    > more upright rider position and better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to
    > accomodate wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch wheeled bikes from
    > Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more upright seating position are not an option for
    > the Volae or Sabre. However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down based upon
    > your needs and riding environment.
    >
    > The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more committed group. They focus on
    > taking care of the customer and collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
    > recumbent industry.
    >
    > Pat McShane

    Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was almost ready to order a Volae Club
    or Team but after reading your comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took. Two
    seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the go fast mode is just fine with
    me. Not knocking the Volae but I do think having a do it all bike is a good idea

  9. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was almost ready to order a Volae
    > Club or Team but after reading your comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took.
    > Two seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the go fast mode is just
    > fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do think having a do it all bike is a good idea

    Or you can have different bikes. I'm not being a smartass but different bikes are better for
    different purposes and while they can be used for different facets of riding(commuting, touring,
    racing, etc.), doing so results in some compromise. It appears that the Volae big wheel models were
    designed, and produced, as no compromise, performance oriented road bikes, as were the Bachetta Aero
    and Corsa. I doubt that very many, if any, owners of these bikes have any desire to mount fenders on
    them or change the seat.

    Harry Jiles

  10. Don

    Don Guest

    Harry, good points. Actually, I do not think it is possible to put fenders on the Corsa or Aero.
    They have minimal clearance front forks. Not sure about the Strada. The Giro was designed as the
    commute/touring model. It can be tricked out as a lighter, faster bike. That is what I did with my
    frame set.

    [email protected] (harryo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was almost ready to order a Volae
    > > Club or Team but after reading your comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you
    > > took. Two seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the go fast mode is
    > > just fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do think having a do it all bike is a good idea
    >

    > Or you can have different bikes. I'm not being a smartass but different bikes are better for
    > different purposes and while they can be used for different facets of riding(commuting, touring,
    > racing, etc.), doing so results in some compromise. It appears that the Volae big wheel models
    > were designed, and produced, as no compromise, performance oriented road bikes, as were the
    > Bachetta Aero and Corsa. I doubt that very many, if any, owners of these bikes have any desire to
    > mount fenders on them or change the seat.
    >
    > Harry Jiles

  11. Pj

    Pj Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > franksapper <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. Does
    > > > anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do you like it? What do you like about
    > > > it? Are there other recumbents that are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for
    > > > any info.
    > > >
    > > > frank::D
    > >

    > > First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more accurately very happy
    > > Strada owner and quite recently my wife also became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase
    > > of a Giro.
    > >
    > > Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the Volae coming on line but the
    > > Vision Sabre was available at the time. One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the
    > > Sabre was the fact that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's or the
    > > Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon seat and a pair of very light 650c
    > > wheels and tires, with the weight coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather,
    > > speed oriented ride.
    > >
    > > Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in weather, I will swap the
    > > 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of
    > > fenders on the bike for wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for
    > > commutes during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the Bacchetta mesh seat which
    > > allows for a more upright rider position and better city/traffic handling. All of the above
    > > changes to accomodate wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch wheeled
    > > bikes from Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more upright seating position are not an
    > > option for the Volae or Sabre. However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down
    > > based upon your needs and riding environment.
    > >
    > > The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more committed group. They focus on
    > > taking care of the customer and collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
    > > recumbent industry.
    > >
    > > Pat McShane
    >
    > Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was almost ready to order a Volae
    > Club or Team but after reading your comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took.
    > Two seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the go fast mode is just
    > fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do think having a do it all bike is a good idea

    Bill

    Persoanlly I like having one bike that is very versatile over owning two with more limiations. With
    one bike, you don't have to readjust to different riding positions, you can keep one set of pedals
    on the bike, and with all of your riding time on one bike as opposed to two, you really learn to
    feel comfortable on that bike. Both the Volae's and the Bacchettas are great bikes for their
    intended purposes. However I think the Strada/Corsa are the more versatile bikes that can serve dual
    uses. I have no doubt that you will enjoy the Strada.

    Pat

  12. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    The Strada can mount fenders but it is a tight fit with the standard fork. Ofcourse you can always
    swap the fork. Actually I chose the Strada because I wanted a fast laid back bike that could take
    fenders and I felt visible in traffic. I tried out some of the Challenge bikes which are much better
    set up for commuting but felt that the Hurricane was too low and the Mistral felt much heavier and
    slower. Craig

    [email protected] (Don) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Harry, good points. Actually, I do not think it is possible to put fenders on the Corsa or Aero.
    > They have minimal clearance front forks. Not sure about the Strada. The Giro was designed as the
    > commute/touring model. It can be tricked out as a lighter, faster bike. That is what I did with my
    > frame set.

  13. Hello folks

    I just got on my brand new Volae Club LX today for the first time. I also was interested in the
    versatility issue, although fenders is not so much an issue for me. I am happy to report that I can
    fit a 559 front wheel with a Conti GP 25-559 tire on it into the Alpha Pro fork with as much
    clearance, maybe a tad more, than the Spartacus Pro 23-571 that comes with the LX. The 105 brake
    needs a tiny bit more reach, like a 1/16 inch. I can't imagine that one can't find a brake that will
    fit this bike and allow both 559 and 571 wheels to fit. The rear probably has the same brake reach
    issue but looks to have more clearance for tires. My 26 rear is a 135 axle so I didn't try it. IN
    any case, I think the Volaes will have more flexibility than may be at first glance.

    Marc Rosenbaum

    [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > franksapper <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. Does anyone
    > > have any information pertaining to this bike. Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are
    > > there other recumbents that are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
    > >
    > > frank::D
    >

    > First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more accurately very happy Strada
    > owner and quite recently my wife also became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.
    >
    > Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the Volae coming on line but the
    > Vision Sabre was available at the time. One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the
    > Sabre was the fact that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's or the
    > Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon seat and a pair of very light 650c
    > wheels and tires, with the weight coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather,
    > speed oriented ride.
    >
    > Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in weather, I will swap the
    > 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of
    > fenders on the bike for wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for commutes
    > during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a
    > more upright rider position and better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to
    > accomodate wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch wheeled bikes from
    > Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more upright seating position are not an option for
    > the Volae or Sabre. However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down based upon
    > your needs and riding environment.
    >
    > The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more committed group. They focus on
    > taking care of the customer and collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
    > recumbent industry.
    >
    > Pat McShane

  14. Don

    Don Guest

    Marc, You know that other board you have been hanging out at? Well, they have both been there and
    done that. The answer is there. It can be done. Sorry I can not rember which brake brand/model they
    used. I have a Giro so I did not pay attention. Try a search on the Yahoo Bacchetta forum. Don

    news:<[email protected]>...