Volatile loss

John

Guest
The rubber cement used for patches is extremely volatile and the
solvent will slowly leak out of the crimp of the metal tube container,
hardening the cement. I don't think this varies too much between
brands.

I choose to keep those metal tubes unopened and used only on the
roadside for emergency repairs, in case my spare tube also gets a flat.
When I get home, I patch the tube using rubber cement contained in a
screw top lid and pack the patched tube back into my saddlebag.

IME, once you open those small metal tubes, the life span decreases
substantially. I squeeze the container in my patch kit about once a
week to be sure it hasn't hardened.

John Forester recommends carrying rubber cement in a small, screw top
jar for patches (to minimize volatile loss). It's in the archives.

Cheers,
John

>What the original poster wrote.

I go one step further, I seal the crimped end of the tube with epoxy.

However, my LBS doesn't sell the cans of tire adhesive, do you know an
online source?

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

Messages sent to the above "E" addy will be lost forever! If you want to
E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:00:18 -0400, [email protected]
(Chris Y.F.N.W.) wrote:

>>What the original poster wrote.

>I go one step further, I seal the crimped end of the tube with epoxy.
>
>However, my LBS doesn't sell the cans of tire adhesive, do you know an
>online source?

Dear Chris,

BikeToolsEtc sells Rema glue in a can big enough to handle a whole
high-school of glue sniffers:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...ir-Kits-and-Supplies&tc=Cement&item_id=RE-203
or http://tinyurl.com/rkzjr

It's $9.95 plus shipping. The 8 ounce can has a screw-top with a nice
brush, I haven't made a dent in mine with over 70 patches.

I suppose that you could put some into a small, sealable container and
take it on your bike if you didn't want to use glueless patches.

They also sell small Rema fp0 patches for 700c tubes in boxes of 100:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...r-Kits-and-Supplies&tc=Patches&item_id=RE-F0P
or http://tinyurl.com/qp29h

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> However, my LBS doesn't sell the cans of tire adhesive, do you know an
> online source?

> Messages sent to the above "E" addy will be lost forever! If you want to
> E-mail me:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>
> My website:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner

Why go to LBS for rubber cement? Staples, Office Depot, your
neighborhood 5&10. It doesn't seem to come in glass jars anymore, but
the plastic ones last a few years and one is cheaper than an entire
tire repair kit.

Cheers,
Mike Davis

In article
<[email protected]>,

> > However, my LBS doesn't sell the cans of tire adhesive, do you know an
> > online source?

> > Messages sent to the above "E" addy will be lost forever! If you want to
> > E-mail me:
> > ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
> >
> > My website:
> > http://geocities.com/czcorner

> Why go to LBS for rubber cement? Staples, Office Depot, your
> neighborhood 5&10. It doesn't seem to come in glass jars anymore, but
> the plastic ones last a few years and one is cheaper than an entire
> tire repair kit.

Should buy a can of the rubber cement thinner as well. The
solvent is hexane. Hexane has proven to be a health risk
for regular long term exposure. But, as the experts in
toxicology tell us, `The dose makes the poison.'

--
Michael Press