Volpe or Sequoia?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gcos, Apr 6, 2003.

1. gcos

gcos New Member

I'm narrowing my search for a commuter/light touring bike. Looked at the Bianchi Volpe and the Specialized Sequoia today. I'd probably get the Sequoia Expert if I got the Specialized. I have a Bianchi road bike now, have been riding it for 14 years, and am happy with it. Just want something I can put a rack on. Any pros or cons on those two selections -- with the exception of steel vs. aluminum?

Thanks for the help.

Tags:

2. gcos

gcos New Member

Have also added the Fuji Touring to my list of three. I am now considering:

Bianchi Volpe

Specialized Sequoia (Expert)

Fuji Touring

Any opinions on these bikes?

3. Vo2

Vo2 Member

The Specialized Sequoia Expert comes with higher grade components, like a carbon fork and 105 gruppo. The Bianchi has a Tiagra/Deore mix.
    I say the Sequoia is the better buy.

4. treebeard

treebeard New Member

Interesting--same question I'm asking, though I'm comparing the Volpe with the Sequoia Sport (the Expert is more $ than the Volpe, +/- $1200 vs. +/- $850). At Harris Cylcery (Newton, MA) today I found the Volpe for $750, which is $130 less than the rsp for the Sequoia Sport. The Sequoia was an instant joy to ride; the frame geometry may be the main factor there. The Bianchi is more "traditional", which appeals to me (I've been riding a Bottecchia for over 25 years which was mfg'd ca. 1970). Of course, what I really want is a Rivendell or Heron, but I can't justify over $1500 outlay. So I'm going to test ride the Sport again tomorrow and a properly-sized Volpe later this week, and make my decision then.

Ernie