Vortex meets Skoda update 30th April

sean

Guest
This time I did not get a solicitor. I have been dealing with the
Skoda's insurance people by phone. It took two weeks for the Skoda to
admit complete liability. Another three weeks for the assessors to
come and look at the bike held at LBS (Who were able to 'lubricate'
the process to get it 'written off'). The report is just in and I have
accepted £2,500 for the bike.

I have since discovered that my wrists will take some months to heal.
I shall be having more tests. After the examination I mentioned that I
had been getting 'pins and needles' sensation at the back of my head
since. I wanted to know if this was just a coincidence because I did
not bang my head and was wearing a helmet. I was told that this was a
consequence of neck trauma suffered when thrown over the car. So more
tests on that too.

So I can now relax a bit and let the medical damages take their
course. There are about £600 worth of clothing and equipment
(including a minidisk) to be haggled over still but I am happy to have
achieved a bike settlement.

On a technical note, I have to mention that the LOOK forks did their
job fantastically well. They shattered at the right moment after
taking the full impact of the collision (approx 15mph breaking from
25mph). Even the front tyre was still inflated and the front wheel is
true. One of the RECORD shifters is smashed though and I was a bit
miffed to discover that they can only be bought in pairs. Shame I lost
the bottom cup of the Chris King headset too. The chain ring was
embedded into the tarmac and twisted. It will take about £400 to get
the bike back on the road.....Ahh titanium does what it says on the
label!

I had shouted at the Skoda twice to not pull out on me but he still
did. Apart from being discourteous I think he did not believe the
speed I was going at. I had considered getting a bell before this
happened but I would not of used it because I knew that I had to brake
hard before t-boning. I have seen London cyclists with whistles in
their mouths as they get somewhere quick.....but then I would have to
keep it my mouth all the time....Unless it would fit into one of those
harmonica holders!.......Or keep the harmonica so I can play a witty
melody as I die in the road.
Sean.

sean <[email protected]> wrote:

: true. One of the RECORD shifters is smashed though and I was a bit
: miffed to discover that they can only be bought in pairs. Shame I lost

Is the shifter itself borked or just the lever? That can be replaced
for a resonable cost.

Italian Cycle Products Ltd 01332 371176

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

sean wrote:

> This time I did not get a solicitor. I have been dealing with the
> Skoda's insurance people by phone. It took two weeks for the Skoda to
> admit complete liability. Another three weeks for the assessors to
> come and look at the bike held at LBS (Who were able to 'lubricate'
> the process to get it 'written off'). The report is just in and I have
> accepted £2,500 for the bike.
>
> I have since discovered that my wrists will take some months to heal.
> I shall be having more tests. After the examination I mentioned that I
> had been getting 'pins and needles' sensation at the back of my head
> since. I wanted to know if this was just a coincidence because I did
> not bang my head and was wearing a helmet. I was told that this was a
> consequence of neck trauma suffered when thrown over the car. So more
> tests on that too.
>
> So I can now relax a bit and let the medical damages take their
> course. There are about £600 worth of clothing and equipment
> (including a minidisk) to be haggled over still but I am happy to have
> achieved a bike settlement.
>
> On a technical note, I have to mention that the LOOK forks did their
> job fantastically well. They shattered at the right moment after
> taking the full impact of the collision (approx 15mph breaking from
> 25mph). Even the front tyre was still inflated and the front wheel is
> true. One of the RECORD shifters is smashed though and I was a bit
> miffed to discover that they can only be bought in pairs. Shame I lost
> the bottom cup of the Chris King headset too. The chain ring was
> embedded into the tarmac and twisted. It will take about £400 to get
> the bike back on the road.....Ahh titanium does what it says on the
> label!
>
> I had shouted at the Skoda twice to not pull out on me but he still
> did. Apart from being discourteous I think he did not believe the
> speed I was going at. I had considered getting a bell before this
> happened but I would not of used it because I knew that I had to brake
> hard before t-boning. I have seen London cyclists with whistles in
> their mouths as they get somewhere quick.....but then I would have to
> keep it my mouth all the time....Unless it would fit into one of those
> harmonica holders!.......Or keep the harmonica so I can play a witty
> melody as I die in the road.
> Sean.

I'd not cycle around with a whistle in my mouth - the consequences of
swallowing it in a collision/whatever are too dire.

Good luck with the rest of the claim, at least you're getting somewhere
with it - hope you heal fast too.

--

Velvet

Velvet <[email protected]> wrote in news:KdCCc.1626$BJ1.15643813
@news-text.cableinet.net:

> I'd not cycle around with a whistle in my mouth - the consequences of
> swallowing it in a collision/whatever are too dire.

I did this for a short while (a day or two) when I used to cycle across
Edinburgh. It was on a lanyard, so I suppose a good yank would remove from
the throat (or stop it even getting there in the first place).

I stopped using it as I used to sound like a referee having multiple
orgasms by the time I got to the top of The Mound :-\

Graeme

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I stopped using it as I used to sound like a referee having multiple
> orgasms by the time I got to the top of The Mound :-\

Brings to mind Belleville Rendezvous. You could act as a pacer for
passing cyclists!

Jon

Graeme wrote:

> Velvet <[email protected]> wrote in news:KdCCc.1626$BJ1.15643813
> @news-text.cableinet.net:
>

>>I'd not cycle around with a whistle in my mouth - the consequences of
>>swallowing it in a collision/whatever are too dire.
>>

> I did this for a short while (a day or two) when I used to cycle across
> Edinburgh. It was on a lanyard, so I suppose a good yank would remove from
> the throat (or stop it even getting there in the first place).
>
> I stopped using it as I used to sound like a referee having multiple
> orgasms by the time I got to the top of The Mound :-\
>

> Graeme

:-D what a wonderful image, that's just brightened up my frantically
busy working day!

--

Velvet