Vote for Armstrong on bbc.co.uk

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Office Junior, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Office Junior

    Office Junior New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    I think you should all go to the bbc website and vote for Lance Armstrong's 1999 tour win as the most significant sporting moment. There are 100 moments from which you have to choose 10. Tommy Simpson's death is there too.

    Tags:

  2. robbiew

    robbiew New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2003
    With the greatest respect to Lance, on the day when Scotland are playing Holland(*) in an attempt to make it to a major Championships, no one is going to take my vote away from Archie Gemmill.

  3. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Office Junior wrote:

    > I think you should all go to the bbc website and vote for Lance Armstrong's 1999 tour win as the
    > most significant sporting moment. There are 100 moments from which you have to choose 10. Tommy
    > Simpson's death is there too.

    Sorry, not me.

    I'm still miffed that my thrashing of the World Champion Beer Mat Flipping Record in 1970-er - er
    -ish hasn't even made the list :-((

    John B

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Office Junior" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think you should all go to the bbc website and vote for Lance Armstrong's 1999 tour win as the
    > most significant sporting moment. There are 100 moments from which you have to choose 10. Tommy
    > Simpson's death is there too.

    Nah. Plenty of better moments.

    But a link would be nice!!

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Office Junior" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I think you should all go to the bbc website and vote for Lance Armstrong's 1999 tour win as the
    > > most significant sporting moment. There are 100 moments from which you have to choose 10. Tommy
    > > Simpson's death is there too.
    >

    > Nah. Plenty of better moments.
    >
    > But a link would be nice!!

    I sent them when I posted on the same subject over two weeks ago!

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sportingcentury/sportcentl.shtml

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sportingcentury/sportcentt.shtml

  6. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, robbiew <[email protected]> wrote:
    > With the greatest respect to Lance, on the day when Scotland are playing Holland(*) in an attempt
    > to make it to a major Championships, no one is going to take my vote away from Archie Gemmill.

    We could do with him tonight:-(

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  7. Office Junior wrote:

    > I think you should all go to the bbc website and vote for Lance Armstrong's 1999 tour win as the
    > most significant sporting moment. There are 100 moments from which you have to choose 10. Tommy
    > Simpson's death is there too.

    Nah...if it was something about Merckx, Roche at the top of La Plagne, LeMond winning the Tour from
    Fignon by 8 seconds or (my personal favourite) Poli winning the Mont Ventoux stage after an all-day
    lone breakaway, despite being Cipo's 6'4" lead-out man - not exactly a climber - and having also
    spent most of the previous day out on his own. He said he was driven to win the stage (by several
    minutes) because he was so frustrated at being caught the day before. I think he actually came last,
    or nearly so, on GC despite the stage win!

  8. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > LeMond winning the Tour from Fignon by 8 seconds or (my personal favourite)

    Mine too,

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  10. The Judge: Have you anything to say in your defence? Berti Vogts: What's defence?

  11. >LeMond winning the Tour from Fignon by 8 seconds or (my personal favourite)

    Definitely one of my all-time fav cycling moments.

    Cheers, helen s

  12. pineapple

    pineapple New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah... right... oh well too bad about that huh?

    ;)

    Just kidding

  13. [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >LeMond winning the Tour from Fignon by 8 seconds or (my personal favourite)
    >
    > Definitely one of my all-time fav cycling moments.

    How about:

    1. Stephen Roche flying up that mountain in pursuit of Pedro Delgado
    (2)

    3. Djamolidine Abdoujaparov taking the mother of all spills on the Champs Elysees (1993?)

    4. I got really 'fond & wistful' when the Tour stopped at the site of Fabio Casartelli's death a few
    years after it happened. Hair on back of neck, etc.

    5. Ditto Lance blowing kisses to the sky when he won the stage 2 days after that horrible day.

    6. Frivolous: me doing my first 40mi ride (over Salisbury Plain) then going home & watching last
    year's Prologue live on TV with more endorphins in my body that ever before :)

    7. Oh, and Norwich City having Bayern Munich over at the Olympic Stadium, during the magic UEFA run!
    So skint at the time that I only had 2 (straight) cigarettes & some lime cordial to celebrate
    with that evening :-( Pure elation replace beer, for once...

    --cb

  14. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Roche coming out of the fog at La Plagne...